PDA

View Full Version : Guidebooks

ShawnV
12-27-2011, 21:41
Do I need the ATC guidebooks if I get AWOL's AT Guide?Or will I be fine with just ordering maps from the ATC?

Storm
12-27-2011, 22:27
All the sources I have checked indicate AWOL's guide is better than the ATC's. May just be a matter of opinion though. Would see no need to carry both.

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 22:41
don't carry the guidebooks. Get the Companion or AWOL's book. Maybe invest in the maps for The Whites and Maine. You will want the town info that is offered in the Guidebooks. Loads of valuable information in either book. AWOL's book has the profiles

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 22:45
All the sources I have checked indicate AWOL's guide is better than the ATC's. May just be a matter of opinion though. Would see no need to carry both.

The ATC guidebooks are the individual books for the maps, the ATC publishes a Thruhikers Companion as well which is researched by ALDHA members.

ShawnV
12-27-2011, 23:07
I'm referring more to the state or section specific guides sold by the ATC.They can be purchased as a set with the corresponding maps,or the maps can be purchased separately.Will probably get the AT Guide,and figure the ATC guides are more than likely redundant.Just needed verification before I made any purchases.

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 23:09
I'm referring more to the state or section specific guides sold by the ATC.They can be purchased as a set with the corresponding maps,or the maps can be purchased separately.Will probably get the AT Guide,and figure the ATC guides are more than likely redundant.Just needed verification before I made any purchases.

Just saying that you have a choice besides the AT Guide. The Thruhikers Companion is a good guidebook

ShawnV
12-27-2011, 23:15
Chaco-Thanks,that's what I thought.I'll just go ahead and purchase the maps I need.I have the 2011 Thru-hikers Companion,but I'll still get the 2012 AT Guide.Planning on a overnight prep hike around Standing Indian Mt. In March,than a week-long hike between Erwin and Damascus in May.

Slo-go'en
12-27-2011, 23:15
The ATC state/section guides are good if you want a detailed, almost step by step discription of the trail. For the most part, too much info of the wrong kind for a thru-hike. The Thru-hikers handbook, the AWOL guide or the companion are much better for a thru.

SwitchbackVT
12-27-2011, 23:36
I highly recommend Awol's "The AT Guide." The mileages, shelter details, elevation profiles, and detailed town maps make it superior to the rest, IMO. Especially the town maps...you will quickly learn to find the AYCE. I own the companion and the data book, too, but the AT Guide works best for me. Your mileage may vary.

As mentioned above, buy some maps for New Hampshire...where you can Live Free AND Die.

Six-Six
12-27-2011, 23:40
I bought the 2011 edition of AWOL's AT Guide and like it very much. So much so that I ordered the 2012 edition (out soon) and also ordered the strip maps. The maps are fantastic. The guide and the maps will join me on Springer April 1st.