PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Unicoi Gap first week of April What weather/conditions for a Scout Troop?

wbnole
12-27-2011, 23:02
We are considering doing a 50 mile section hike from Unicoi Gap to Springer Mtn. during Spring Break (first week of April). Can anyone give me an idea of what weather we might anticipate on the trail this time of year? Also, any other trail conditions that might be pertinent. I realize that this is the beginning of thru-hiker season, so it may be pretty active, anything else?

Thanks in advance for the information.

daddytwosticks
12-28-2011, 08:17
The weather can be all over the map. Consult a long-range (10 day) forecast right before you go. Fronts this time of year can be crazy....70's one day, heavy rainand wind next day, snow the third day. Have fun. :)

generoll
12-28-2011, 08:56
you might take a look at the BMT as an alternate. not all of the hikers you run across are exactly role models for scouts. You'll have a lot less traffic to contend with and the campsites will be basically empty.

Lauriep
12-28-2011, 15:14
The first half of April the southern end of the A.T. can be quite crowded with thru-hikers; April 1 is one of the most popular start dates of the entire season, typically with upwards of 40 or more people a day starting. The flow of hikers slows after April 15.

If you can only go the first week of April, you might consider the The Foothills Trail (http://www.foothillstrail.org/). It's located in upstate South Carolina and western North Carolina (near the Georgia border) at significantly lower elevations than the A.T., so the climate is milder. It is also much less crowded.

If you do take a trip on the A.T., be sure to check out Leave No Trace guidelines developed specifically for the A.T. at www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

wbnole
01-03-2012, 19:37
Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like the AT will serve up a few extra challenges for the Scouts. Not a totally bad thing, just things to be prepared for and aware of. I appreciate the additional trail suggestions. The easiest logistical solution would be to do a section of the Florida Trail near home. Any additional input is appreciated.

Theosus
01-03-2012, 20:01
Reading over this was a good idea. Even as an SC resident I was unaware of the Good points of the foothills trail. Sounds like a good feet wetting experience... Even doing part of it. I've seen it on trail maps but it's just another dotted line.