PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ray Way quilts

SCRUB HIKER
12-28-2011, 21:03
I'm intrigued by the idea of a Ray Jardine-style quilt kit, as outlined on his website (http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm). I've only ever used sleeping bags before, but I can see the logic behind quilts. I'm a somewhat warm sleeper and I plan on using this (or whatever I get) on my 300-mile Mid-Atlantic cleanup section of the AT in late April/May, and hopefully a PCT thru-hike bid in 2013. Things that appeal to me:

- Price and weight: hard to beat a <30oz, <30-degree, <$100 synthetic sleep system.
- Synthetic: personal preference. I've always slept easier not worrying about down getting wet (i.e. I'm not looking to be persuaded to try down at this moment).
- Sewing. I have rudimentary skills and access to a few different sewing machines. My girlfriend is an expert and can help me out where needed.

Things that I'm questioning:
- Packability: Ray won't say on the website how they compress. Do you have to keep these packed very loosely to keep them effective? I hiked part of the AT this year with a massive (9"x18" stuffed) old NF synthetic bag that barely fit in my GoLite Pinnacle (and I'm going to be using a smaller pack in the future). I don't want a repeat of that experience.
- Is there a catch? The price/weight/warmth combination seems too good to be true.

What I want to know is: has anyone had trouble with the kits not containing everything you need or having unclear instructions? Have you gotten quality long-term usage out of a Ray Way quilt or something similar, and have there been any serious cons to using quilts that aren't mentioned on his or other quilt sites? Any help is appreciated.

- Scrub

leaftye
12-28-2011, 21:32
A synthetic quilt can be so simple that I don't see the point of getting a quilt kit. Here's what I'd do:

Get the super light $7.50 fabric from titaniumgoat.com.
Get 5 oz/yd Climashield Apex insulation from thru-hiker.com. Also get some webbing, cord and cord locks. Maybe a snap or velcro too.

There are many tutorials, but it's pretty simple if you think about it. I would use a zipper and shock cord closure for the foot box. This is very easy to make, and allows a wider range of comfort. Use a snap or velcro to close the neck, and a shock cord to tighten it.

I do advise getting the RayWay bomber hat. It's very warm and very light. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Synthetic insulation just isn't going to pack very tightly. For example I bought 1 yard of 5 oz/yd Apex insulation, and the package for that small amount of insulation is bigger than my stuffed 0°F down quilt.

I also hate how Ray Jardine doesn't specify what insulation he uses or what its CLO is. Sorry, but I'm not using insulation that's only rated by the personal experiences of the person selling it. You can sort of figure out what it is, but by the time you figure that out, you can figure out how to make a quilt without the kit and probably for less money too.

chiefduffy
12-29-2011, 02:05
I made two of the quilts about 7 years ago, still use them all the time. They pack down pretty small, and loft back up in about 10 - 15 minutes. The kits have great instructions, easy to follow, not too hard to sew. I am still proud of mine, and people are amazed how light and warm they are.

Rocket Jones
12-29-2011, 08:45
My daughter and I made one of the standard models last winter in one day (she's a professional seamstress). I'm very happy with it and have used it a lot over the last year, including down to temps in the upper 20's.

The final weight is good, but mine finished out at 37 ounces. I'm a big guy and could have made it a bit smaller all around to shave some of those ounces.

My main issue with it is the compressibility. I stuff it into the bottom of my pack before anything else, but it does take up a fair amount of room. Enough so that I'm considering making a dedicated stuff sack for it. As soon as my tent is up, I pull the quilt out and it regains its loft pretty quickly. At home I keep it in a large bin or, when I can, hanging in a closet from a trouser's hanger with the clips on the footbox end.

For summer months, I got 2 1/2 yards of fleece, cut it into the same basic shape as the quilt and hand-stiched a footbox. Works great when I don't need all that extra warmth (or weight).

At some point I'll probably buy another quilt, but with down insulation.

Rocketman
12-29-2011, 08:47
I made a Ray=Way quilt from his materials in 1997 for an AT hike. I departed Springer Mt April 15 and encountered light snow. I was warm till I got to Gatlinburg where I traded off the quilt for my down summer bag, sent ahead by mail.

I was amazed at how much smaller the down bag packed into than the quilt.

I still have the quilt, having never used it again because of the relative bulk. It has been stored in a large laundry bag very loosely and appears to be keeping the loft characteristics.

If you can accomodate the bulk and weight increase over a down bag, then go for it. I was dreadfully afraid of the rain and wetness problem with down, at the time, and that motivated me to go synthetic. I have since learned to keep dry, and that concern is no longer an issue.

I am also now over 70 years old, and I watch every ounce of weight like a hawk. My current base weight is about 12 pounds lighter than in 1977.