PDA

View Full Version : The New MSR MicroRocket -- First Look

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 03:09
Got a little package in the mail today -- the new MicroRocket stove from MSR!

I'm writing a review for Seattle Backpackers Magazine. I've got a ways to go yet on the review, but I thought I'd least let people have a preliminary look at the stove. Look for the full review in about a month's time.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cpESHwi6V9s/TvwEVqmBswI/AAAAAAAAADo/17k4vBz0Gxs/s640/P1080982.JPG

The New MSR MicroRocket -- First Look (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/12/new-msr-microrocket-first-look.html)

Enjoy!

HJ

Bucherm
12-29-2011, 06:27
Man, look at that, it's so teeny tiny.

Also, seperate piezo electric start? Hmm...I'll be keeping my Brunton Raptor with it attached, thanks.

And I can totally tell that your favorite stove is the pocket rocket. Looks like you've been using that for years! :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 11:25
Cool. What's the weight difference - or is that being saved for the published review?

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 12:12
Also, seperate piezo electric start? Hmm...I'll be keeping my Brunton Raptor with it attached, thanks.Yeah, that's the one thing that I'm kind of looking at and saying "what the heck? Why?"

As for the rest of the stove, it's looking really, really good. It's like their best stove designer played with a Pocket Rocket for six months straight and tried to figure out anything that could possibly be a negative about the stove -- and fixed it. Plus it's smaller and lighter. But when you unfold it, there's almost no difference from the PR. The MicroRocket is a pretty sweet little stove.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 12:14
Cool. What's the weight difference - or is that being saved for the published review? The package arrived late last night. I didn't know UPS did deliveries that late! I needed to get some sleep, so I didn't get the scale out.

It's about 1215 EST right now. Check back in about an hour.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 12:16
Oops. I mean it's 1115 EST right now. Check back at about 1215 EST. Told you I needed some sleep.

HJ

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 12:16
The package arrived late last night. I didn't know UPS did deliveries that late! I needed to get some sleep, so I didn't get the scale out.

It's about 1215 EST right now. Check back in about an hour.

HJ:) The weight without the piezo thingy would be cool too - as I could see leaving that behind.

Yukon
12-29-2011, 12:47
I want one...

Singletrack
12-29-2011, 13:11
It looks like my SnoPeak Lite Max stove, which weighs in at 2.0 ounces. Fits in my Evenew 640 ml pot, right on top of a small SnoPeak cannister, along with a bic lighter.
Should be able to do the same with this MSR stove.

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 13:45
I've added a technical appendix to the bottom of the blog post. Not a lot of weight loss. None if you intend to pack the little carrying case. Still, it's a nice improvement over the old PR.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 19:46
Just got a note from MSR:
The official release date is January 3, 2012. We already have them in stock and are shipping to retailers.

HJ

TOMP
12-29-2011, 20:42
hmm looks exactly like the soto micro-regulator with piezo starter i have (2.6 ounces) interesting.

Papa D
12-29-2011, 21:05
I used a whisperlight for so long and now I really use my pocket rocket a lot - I have a ques for you all though - I'm always making up some sort of windscreen (because I seem to always be out in the weather) - for a while, I carried a whisperlight windscreen that I rigged on some little wire to reach up to flame height on the pocket rocket but then some do-gooder on the trail told me that I shouldn't be doing that and that the pocket rocket wasn't "designed" for a windscreen -- this is what I've been using -- yes or no?

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 21:16
hmm looks exactly like the soto micro-regulator with piezo starter i have (2.6 ounces) interesting. What? No, no, totally different stoves.

The Soto OD-1R has a piezoelectric ignition integrated into the burner column. The MicroRocket's ignition is a separate, hand held device.

The burner heads are different. The Soto has a rounded burner head; the MR has a flat one. The Soto's pot supports are very different (not as nice, frankly).

If I remember, I'll try to take a photo of the two side by side.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 21:24
I used a whisperlight for so long and now I really use my pocket rocket a lot - I have a ques for you all though - I'm always making up some sort of windscreen (because I seem to always be out in the weather) - for a while, I carried a whisperlight windscreen that I rigged on some little wire to reach up to flame height on the pocket rocket but then some do-gooder on the trail told me that I shouldn't be doing that and that the pocket rocket wasn't "designed" for a windscreen -- this is what I've been using -- yes or no?

14698 This "do gooder" was probably just repeating what he or she had been told. Yes, it does say in the PR's instructions not to use a windscreen, but that's so MSR can't be sued if something happens. The smart money is on using windscreens.

Your rig should be pretty safe. It looks like you've got plenty of air flow around the canister. The important thing is keep an eye on the canister and never let the canister get hot to the touch. I really don't think you'll have much trouble with your rig though.

If you're interested, I do have a post on my blog on windscreens (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/08/windscreens.html) as well as a magazine article (http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/2011/08/02/three-times-the-fuel/) I wrote for Seattle Backpackers Magazine.

HJ

TOMP
12-29-2011, 21:41
dont want to bring you off topic but what works better when making a windscreen foil or some sort of sheet metal? Foils seems like a good idea but I dont think it would last to long (ie on a thru hike). Also your job is really cool.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2011, 21:55
how much are they selling for?

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 23:17
how much are they selling for?Ay, there's the rub. MSRP for the MicroRocket is $60 whereas it's been around $40 for the PR. Not sure if that's going to fly.

I think MSR would do better to lose the lighter and cut the price, but that's just my opinion.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-29-2011, 23:23
dont want to bring you off topic but what works better when making a windscreen foil or some sort of sheet metal? Foils seems like a good idea but I dont think it would last to long (ie on a thru hike). If you can find it, 36 gauge tooling foil is ideal. Aluminum catering tins work OK. Some roof flashing is OK, but a lot of the time it's too thick. Household aluminum foil is good for a week long trip, but it's a bit flimsy, and you have to brace it with rocks or something.

Also your job is really cool. You mean writing about outdoors topics? Yeah, it's pretty cool, but it's just moonlighting. I have to have a day job to pay the bills.

HJ

Chaco Taco
12-30-2011, 10:52
I bought a PR about 8 years ago and sold it as we had switched over to alcohol. I love the PR and always have. Everything I would have asked to be improved on a PR seems to be here in the MR, besides the price. If they would go for $50, Id really consider getting one. Ill check EMS next week as they carry a ton of MSR products

Old Boots
12-30-2011, 13:22
I made a windscreen for my Soto with a piece of aluminum roof flashing which works very well.

hikin_jim
12-30-2011, 13:45
I bought a PR about 8 years ago and sold it as we had switched over to alcohol. I love the PR and always have. Everything I would have asked to be improved on a PR seems to be here in the MR, besides the price. If they would go for $50, Id really consider getting one. Ill check EMS next week as they carry a ton of MSR productsYeah, I'm having trouble understanding where they're coming from with a price that is 150% of the old price. Yes, the new stove is clearly an upgrade, but...

HJ

hikin_jim
12-30-2011, 23:20
I made a windscreen for my Soto with a piece of aluminum roof flashing which works very well. Do you have a photo of your set up?

HJ

Chaco Taco
12-30-2011, 23:31
Yeah, I'm having trouble understanding where they're coming from with a price that is 150% of the old price. Yes, the new stove is clearly an upgrade, but...

HJ
Its a bit of a reach on their part. Not that much weight difference to warrant $20. Id assume just go for a PR with that price

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 00:11
Yeah, $40 bucks for a major manufacturer canister stove is pretty good. But when you're getting into the $60 range, you're competing with a lot higher end stoves. A lot of people may balk at paying what I'm sure some people will look at as "only" a PocketRocket II.

HJ

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 00:46
So, the old pocket rocket is 86 grams, the new microrocket is 73 grams, but the piezo thingy is 13 grams, which adds up to :::drumroll::: 86 grams. :-? Add that the new micro's case is 36 grams vs 25 on the old PR case. So if you carry the whole new "micro" ensemble vs the whole old "un-micro" ensemble, you carry 111 grams vs. 122 grams for the new and improved "micro" one. All that for only $20 more. :confused: It makes me wonder how much the cost of that piezo thingy adds to the final price. And it really makes me wonder where their product development and marketing people went to college.

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 01:27
So, the old pocket rocket is 86 grams, the new microrocket is 73 grams, but the piezo thingy is 13 grams, which adds up to :::drumroll::: 86 grams. :-? Add that the new micro's case is 36 grams vs 25 on the old PR case. So if you carry the whole new "micro" ensemble vs the whole old "un-micro" ensemble, you carry 111 grams vs. 122 grams for the new and improved "micro" one. All that for only $20 more. :confused: It makes me wonder how much the cost of that piezo thingy adds to the final price. And it really makes me wonder where their product development and marketing people went to college. lol. Good points, all, but forget the weight. The weight is not the big deal on this stove. It's the size that matters. Notice the name. It's not the LiteRocket; it's the MicroRocket. This is a really nice, packable stove.

I posted a companion thread here on Whiteblaze where I take a look at what mugs and pots it will fit in, and I compare that to a PocketRocket. Vast improvement.

The weight difference isn't even worth talking about. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather carry 2.5 ounces than 3.0, but if it's a light stove you're after, get a Monatauk Gnat (1.6oz/48g) and be done with it.

The MicroRocket is: a) a significant improvement in build quality, b) a significant improvement in durability, and c) a major improvement in packability -- with a little bit of weight reduction thrown in.

HJ

HJ

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 01:43
Here's the post I was referring to above: The New MSR MicroRocket -- What Mugs/Pots fit? (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/12/microrocket-mugs-for-camera.html)

HJ

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 02:16
Okay, I'll buy that it is easier to pack in smaller cook pots, and take your word that it is a higher quality build. But a significant improvement in durability? The PR is a pretty proven little stove without a lot of issues that I've heard reported. Maybe I'm wrong here (I don't own one)? How does a new product without a track record of use by consumers claim to have a significant durability advantage over a product that is often referred to as pretty much bulletproof?

I also have this silly idea that MSR figured a redesign of the aging PR was in order anyway, but that rather than replace the #1 selling canister stove with a redesigned model and struggle with raising the price point, they would make more profit simply pricing the redesign at $60 and marketing it as a different product altogether.

I'm not saying it's a bad product, I just don't think a lot of people are going to ditch their old PR's or other stoves and rush right out and buy one, and if they are looking to get a new stove, that there are a lot of other good entries at the higher price point.

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 02:39
there are a lot of other good entries at the higher price point. I think this is where MSR may really get in trouble. At $40, the PR is a good stove and fairly competitive. But if you're willing to spend $60, there are an awful lot of nice options out there. Can the MR cut it with the big boys? We'll see.

As for durability, in normal use, the PR is fine. The pot supports can be bent though, and it doesn't take all that much. I've had one bend on me, and I've seen stuff on the internet that mention it two. The pot support are a little wiggly too on the current PR. The MR is really, really solid.

But like I say, I think the compactness is the main selling point of the MicroRocket. Still, there are stoves out there like the Optimus Crux which is as compact or slightly better. Like I say, the real issue is competition at a specific price point. If they kept the price at $40, I think this would be a no brainer #1 seller. But at 150% of the previous price? Dunno. Should be interesting. Hope they had good focus groups.

HJ

Tinker
12-31-2011, 10:59
If you're going to spend that money to save a few grams on a stove, you might as well use the lightest reusable windscreen:
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

Bat321
12-31-2011, 11:03
I made my PR windscreen out of titanium foil that I bought off eBay. I put one Bobby pin through each on the pot support holes and then spread the pins to make them more V shaped. I punched holes in the foil and made the length so it doubled over itself on two holes. I just wrap it around the burner head slipping the Bobby pins through the holes in the foil and I'm done. Very sturdy and light. I wrap the foil into my pot when I'm done and my fuel canister still fits in my pot because the stuff is so thin. I leave the Bobby pins on the stove head all the time. Making a paper template for the holes was very helpful. Hope that helps.

Mike2012
12-31-2011, 11:03
Its a bit of a reach on their part. Not that much weight difference to warrant $20. Id assume just go for a PR with that price

less than a tenth of an ounce difference. :confused:

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 13:26
less than a tenth of an ounce difference. :confused:13 grams, or half an ounce, if you only carry the stoves themselves.

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 14:36
less than a tenth of an ounce difference. :confused: I've been think about this. Maybe I've got in inkling as to what MSR is up to. Quick, what's MSR's high end, lightweight gas stove? They haven't got one (before the MicroRocket).

They're not replacing the PocketRocket; they're filling in a hole in their product line.

For those who want a more entry level, low price point stove, there's the PR. For those who want something nicer, more durable, lighter, and more compact, there's the MicroRocket. MSR has just entered the high end market space that stoves like the the Soto Micro Regulator, the Primus Express, etc. have occupied unchallenged (by MSR) heretofore.

At first, when I viewed the MicroRocket as essentially a PocketRocket II, it almost didn't make economic sense. But if one views the MR not as a replacement for the PocketRocket but rather as a new addition to the line up, I think it's a shrewd move by MSR. They mean to compete.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 16:01
If you're going to spend that money to save a few grams on a stove, you might as well use the lightest reusable windscreen:
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html Nice. Thanks for the link.

HJ

hikin_jim
12-31-2011, 21:52
Took it out on the trail today. It really is a nice little stove.

HJ

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 21:59
I've been think about this. Maybe I've got in inkling as to what MSR is up to. Quick, what's MSR's high end, lightweight gas stove? They haven't got one (before the MicroRocket).

They're not replacing the PocketRocket; they're filling in a hole in their product line.

For those who want a more entry level, low price point stove, there's the PR. For those who want something nicer, more durable, lighter, and more compact, there's the MicroRocket. MSR has just entered the high end market space that stoves like the the Soto Micro Regulator, the Primus Express, etc. have occupied unchallenged (by MSR) heretofore.

At first, when I viewed the MicroRocket as essentially a PocketRocket II, it almost didn't make economic sense. But if one views the MR not as a replacement for the PocketRocket but rather as a new addition to the line up, I think it's a shrewd move by MSR. They mean to compete.

HJThat's my take as well after looking and thinking about it. I wonder whether or not that was the original intent? I bet there's an interesting inside story that we'll all never know.

hikin_jim
01-01-2012, 02:53
That's my take as well after looking and thinking about it. I wonder whether or not that was the original intent? I bet there's an interesting inside story that we'll all never know. Indeed. Sometime, if you want to have some fun, Google the "Kovea Flame Tornado" and compare that stove to the MSR Micro Rocket.

hikin_jim
01-03-2012, 12:44
I went out yesterday for some more testing. Report coming soon. In the mean time, here are some shots of my (ahem) "beautiful" windscreen set up.

HJ

Tinker
01-03-2012, 12:52
That's my take as well after looking and thinking about it. I wonder whether or not that was the original intent? I bet there's an interesting inside story that we'll all never know.

I'm betting that it will eventually replace the PR. I sold my PR because it was tall and the pot supports were somewhat flimsy. Also, the pencil-point of flame, though fine for a small cookpot, caused a hot spot in the middle of a bigger pot.
Note: I only use my canister stove for larger groups. I normally use alcohol or Esbit.
The PR is a fine stove for a solo hiker or a couple who doesn't usually do much more than boil water. The pencil flame is not as much of an issue to someone using aluminum pots and pans, since the heat conductivity of aluminum minimizes the possibility of hot spots.
Btw: I replaced the stove with a Vargo Jet-ti, or Ti-jet, depending upon the retailer. (Jet-ti sounds like Yeti, so I like that version better). It's more stable (sits lower), durable (according to testing at Backpacking Light), and has a broader flame pattern.

Oh, here's a link to the Vargo stove. I don't think I spent that much, though.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/vargo_jet_ti_stove.html

hikin_jim
01-03-2012, 13:12
Hi, Tinker,

I took the new MR out yesterday. It does have the narrow "pencil" flame, but I found that I could really dial it down. I got excellent flame control.

Gone are the flimsy pot supports. These are solid. I tested things by sliding a pot filled with snow over the pot supports. The PR's supports "chattered" (vibrated). The MR's were solid.

HJ

Tinker
01-03-2012, 14:06
It looks like MSR has a winner - IF they sell it without the piezo (who doesn't carry a Bic-type lighter for starting campfires and flaming cut ends of cordage anyhow?) - and drop the price accordingly.

hikin_jim
01-03-2012, 15:03
It looks like MSR has a winner - IF they sell it without the piezo (who doesn't carry a Bic-type lighter for starting campfires and flaming cut ends of cordage anyhow?) - and drop the price accordingly. I tend to think that MSR would do well to slightly drop their price, even if it meant not including the little lighter. The lighter though is a big deal to some people.

I took the lighter up over 8000' yesterday on a fairly cold morning (the snow was hard and dry). The piezo worked like a champ.

HJ