PDA

View Full Version : iphone vs. droid razr

Transient Being
12-29-2011, 11:58
Weight, battery life, ease of use, best options, best camera, optional battery pack (I know apple doesn't have removable battery) As a side note, can these devices be used without service simply as music players, cameras, and data storage. Do either have removable memory card like a digital camera?

Hooch
12-29-2011, 12:06
www.verizon.com (http://www.verizon.com). Use the "compare" function. Also, try calling the nice folks at Verizon, I'm sure they can help.

Wise Old Owl
12-29-2011, 12:28
Just because Apple is looking for world domination some of us (myself) did not want to spend the money. PC World recommended Motorola Atrix for ATT
and Verizon's Galaxy Nexus.

txag
12-29-2011, 12:32
I do not believe the RAZR has a removable battery either. Game changer for me....

Yukon
12-29-2011, 12:45
Once you have an iPhone you won't want any other phone. I have had countless phones from all carriers (in my area) and my iPhone has been the best so far. If the camera option is important, the iPhone 4S is the phone you want. Best camera on a phone available.

Toolshed
12-29-2011, 13:16
IMMHO, Get the Iphone and avoid the Motorola. I have had so many problems with my Droid X Crashing and going thru multiple reboot cycles. The GPS tends to cause it to lock up. I also have discovered, along with another coworker, that when we land at cities with different time zones, it takes up to 30-45 minutes for the phone to go through reboot cycles after it freezes/locks up when turning maps on, which renders it useless when getting into a rental car. My wife has the droid2 and has many issues when typing. It seems there is always multiple keyboard strikes (known issue) "so wwhen she tyyypess a sssentttence itttt lookkkkks likkkkke thhhhhis" Very annoying. Most of my coworkers have all moved to the Iphones - 4, & 4S - All without problems - This is a daily conversation amongst the 12 of us..... Those that haven't switched yet are waiting for their Verizon plans to allow them an upgrade (as am I). I am very aggravated with the Droid and have decided against another Motorola "anything"..

TyTy
12-29-2011, 13:31
Neither the iphone nor the Droid X have removable batteries. I think the Droid X has a good bit longer battery life though.

The biggest issue I have with iphone4S is lack of 4G. 4G is so much faster.

Miner
12-29-2011, 14:06
Wierd. My DroidX has been troublefree and this includes being on the road nonstop for the past 4months. Same with everyone else I know. Makes me wonder what you and your friends have done in common to your phones (perhaps a bad app).

Back to the opening question. Even without service, you can use most smartphone's camera, mp3 player, GPS, etc, as long as the app itself doesn't need a cell connection. Battery life and weight can be had by comparing phones in most online cell stores. Be aware that using the GPS will more quickly drain the battery then what is listed. Many phones take microSD cards, but the access can hidden with the battery. Ease of use or best options depends on the user and opinions will reflect that.

I vote against both the iPhone and the razr. There are better android phones out there.

Toolshed
12-29-2011, 14:23
Neither the iphone nor the Droid X have removable batteries. I think the Droid X has a good bit longer battery life though.

The biggest issue I have with iphone4S is lack of 4G. 4G is so much faster.I think you meant the Droid Razr. the Droid X has a removable battery.

TyTy
12-30-2011, 10:54
I think you meant the Droid Razr. the Droid X has a removable battery.

Woops, you are right.

Spokes
12-30-2011, 12:15
iPhone is so much "smarter" than android devices.

BadAndy
12-30-2011, 12:53
No fisrt hand experience with the Razr, but a coworker just bought one (he got sick of waiting for the Phone 4S over the hoiday rush) and already regrets it. His biggest grip is battery life, he says it only lasts about 1/2 a day with just moderate use (texting, litening to music, that sort of thing).

I switched from a Droid to a Iphone 4S in October and an completely satisfied. Iphone hasn't crashed or frozen once (unlike the older Droid) and the battery will easily last me all day, even with very heany use.

malowitz
12-30-2011, 13:31
I think you are on the right track for your phone - a user replaceable battery is imperative if you're going to use it as you hike. I hiked with an original Droid and had 2 extra batteries. I only used the 3rd one a couple of times and often when I knew I was heading to town the next day so I'd catch a baseball game or listen to music at night in the tent.

Airplane mode is critical - the phone will kill battery trying to find a signal.

Carrier is probably more important than phone - Verizon has the best AT coverage.

I think the Razr has gorilla glass, but it is so thin that it is susceptable to being bent/stressed. A sturdier phone may be better for the rigors of backpacking.

Transient Being
12-30-2011, 14:27
I vote against both the iPhone and the razr. There are better android phones out there.

Like??? I went yesterday and they had a promotion on a Samsung Stratosphere for free with new 2 yr. contract. The rep. said Samsung has one of the best cameras on the market....for a phone. And great battery life, with removable micro sd memory card and removable battery. Anybody got one of these?

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I405LKAVZW

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2011, 20:56
The software and voice recognition on Iphone is awesome - I don't want to pay for that and my Motorola Atrix is awesome and tons of free software on it... I never had any issues and Yes the battery is changeable.

Where do you guys get this stuff?

bwb49
12-31-2011, 10:09
Battery powered USB charger.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

I do not have any experience with this, but it looks interesting. There are several other rechargers out there for the iPhone. Try googling for them.

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 10:18
If you keep your phone off and only use it when you need to not as a music box, the battery will last until the next recharge. I have never had a problem with many different phones up to 12 days. What am I missing? Do people want to have the phone on all the time in case mommy calls?

Lyle
12-31-2011, 11:05
It amazes me whenever I hear people talking up their IPhone or other device and bragging that the battery lasts the entire day!

I carry a TracPhone, turn it on when I need it, battery lasts two weeks easily.

I carry a Nikon DSLR, battery lasts a week and a half minimum. Extra battery weighs about an oz and adds another week and a half. I take quite a few photos.

On the few occasions I wanted music, I carry a dedicated MP3 player whose battery lasts for several days to a week, listening about an hour or two each night.

Why on earth would you want to limit yourself to a device that needs charging once a day, if you are lucky? Doesn't make any sense to me, even when at home.

No "do it all" devices for me thank you.

dshideler
12-31-2011, 11:11
The biggest reason I chose an iPhone over a droid was the ass store. Apple tests every single app before putting it on the app store to be sure it is free of viruses, malware and spyware. The android apps do not go through testing. Anyone can make an app and just put it on the store. You don't know if you are getting viruses or spyware or what.

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 11:14
ass store. Man, my wife wont let me go to the ass store.

Bat321
12-31-2011, 11:28
I carried my Droid X on the trail last year and will do it again this year. I listen to books. I can download new ones when there is a signal (often with Verizon). I don't keep my phone on so mommy can call. It is in airplane mode 95% of the time. I also use it as my camera, if it was off I would have to wait for the phone to boot up to take a picture. I carry two extra batteries almost never touch the last one unless I'm streaming music. I like my Droid because I can carry extra batteries. I also only carry a 6" recharging cable. Don't think Apple sells one that is that short. I love having one device that does it all. Why would I want to carry multiple chargers?

dshideler
12-31-2011, 12:58
Haha! :) best blooper I've ever made.

itsallgood
12-31-2011, 14:21
Anything since the original RAZR by Motorola has been overpriced and unreliable (the RAZR was overprice as well but atleast it was reliable). I have worked in the wireless industry 10+ years so I have a little bit of experience in this arena. I've seen many of Motorola's phones come back to my stores over and over again. Android is cool if you're a real tech head (read nerd) and want to be able to fully customize every screen and write your own apps. I have fun playing with them but get bored with it in a week and go back to my iPhone. For 99% of people the capabilities of an Android phone are just way too much and they get confused and frustrated. Apple is and always will be (IMHO) the more popular of the two because of there ease of use and reliability. I tell people all of the time...."If my mother can use an iPhone then anyone can". On the other hand, Android takes some time to really figure out.

As far as the network you use it on. Verizon is a fine carrier but they do have limitations. I'll admit up front that I work for AT&T so that I don't get beat up for not mentioning this. The biggest issue....simultaneous voice and data. I know there are going to be people that dispute whether or not this is a big deal but if you use a smarphone as a smartphone it will at some point effect you. I know personally there are many times a week that I'm on a call and need to double check a fact in an e-mail before I tell someone the wrong information and am really happy that I don't have to hang up and call back. Or I'm using the natigator and answer a phone call and don't miss my turn. Trivial to some but not to me. Both Verizon and AT&T have great networks. Call quality will definitely be better in some areas with Verizon and other areas with AT&T so talk to people you know and find out which network works best where you use your phone most. Not necessarily where you live....where you use your phone the most. Also, find out what phone they're carrying as that can make some difference in how the network performs.

I hope this helps and does not come off as a plug for AT&T.

Flounder940
12-31-2011, 22:01
I switched carriers from AT&T to Verizon because everyone says Verizon has better service along the trail. I also upgraded my iPhone4 to the 4S specifically for the Siri/talk to text feature. Instead of typing out my trail journal on a small keyboard, it will translate my speech into text. That was a deal maker for me.

Lostone
01-01-2012, 00:26
Droid X 20 months zero problems.

Not into the entire I lifestyle. Isheep.

Transient Being
01-01-2012, 01:08
After much consideration, I'm now thinking about just cancelling my service and not even carrying a phone. That's kinda the whole point in hiking the trail, to disconnect from everyday life of phone calls, e-mails, videos, internet forums, facebook, etc. etc. I'll just carry a camera and maybe a mp3 player...be nice to unplug for a few months. If I need a ride I'll just bum somebody else's phone. lol.

Bucherm
01-03-2012, 13:20
I like the Motorola Phones, I never had a problem with my X, but that was just a place holder until the LTE phones came out(I picked up the Bionic w/extended battery). I wouldn't get a RAZR for the hike, no removable battery, which is the same reason why i wouldn't bring the iPhone. There's also a tendency for people to use their iphones as MP3 Players, and for whatever reason the iPhone 4S seems to run out of battery quicker than an Android equilivant if used as a MP3 player.

(My sister went from a Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S recently,and she claims that battery life on the 4S is much worse)

If you want a good phone on Verizon, get the Galaxy Nexus. It is, easily, the best smartphone on Verizon and on the market in general. The only reason why I would go to the iPhone is if you have a bunch of songs you bought on Itunes from 6 years ago when they still had DRM on everything, and they'll only work on iOS devices, and you don't want to take the time to strip the DRM off of them. Talk of the iPhone being "smarter" than Android devices is a load of bunk, IMO. No widgets, crappy notifications, doesn't play high-fidelity audio files like FLAC....blegh.

TyTy
01-03-2012, 14:52
Anything since the original RAZR by Motorola has been overpriced and unreliable (the RAZR was overprice as well but atleast it was reliable). I have worked in the wireless industry 10+ years so I have a little bit of experience in this arena. I've seen many of Motorola's phones come back to my stores over and over again. Android is cool if you're a real tech head (read nerd) and want to be able to fully customize every screen and write your own apps. I have fun playing with them but get bored with it in a week and go back to my iPhone. For 99% of people the capabilities of an Android phone are just way too much and they get confused and frustrated. Apple is and always will be (IMHO) the more popular of the two because of there ease of use and reliability. I tell people all of the time...."If my mother can use an iPhone then anyone can". On the other hand, Android takes some time to really figure out.

As far as the network you use it on. Verizon is a fine carrier but they do have limitations. I'll admit up front that I work for AT&T so that I don't get beat up for not mentioning this. The biggest issue....simultaneous voice and data. I know there are going to be people that dispute whether or not this is a big deal but if you use a smarphone as a smartphone it will at some point effect you. I know personally there are many times a week that I'm on a call and need to double check a fact in an e-mail before I tell someone the wrong information and am really happy that I don't have to hang up and call back. Or I'm using the natigator and answer a phone call and don't miss my turn. Trivial to some but not to me. Both Verizon and AT&T have great networks. Call quality will definitely be better in some areas with Verizon and other areas with AT&T so talk to people you know and find out which network works best where you use your phone most. Not necessarily where you live....where you use your phone the most. Also, find out what phone they're carrying as that can make some difference in how the network performs.

I hope this helps and does not come off as a plug for AT&T.

Is the iphone the more popular smartphone? I was under the impression Android has them beat a couple times over.

As far as browsing the web while on a call, you can do this on Verizon 4G it's just 3G that you can't.

Iphone is simple and I think is the best choice for older people hesitant to get a smartphone. It also currently does not have 4G and apparently won't for another 6-7 months.

Also if you want to compare iphone to Android phones consider the newest Android update (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0) which is supposed to be very refined and less 'techy' than any Android OS to date. The Droid Razr is still on the older version of Android but is supposed to get an update in February.

To add to the discussion about removable batteries, I think if I was on a thru hike I would consider one of those stand alone battery packs that takes AAA or AA batteries and plugs into your phone to charge it. With that you could grab fresh batteries when you are in town to charge your device. You could get one that runs off your headlamp battery size (likely AAA).

Awol1970
01-03-2012, 19:24
Is the iphone the more popular smartphone? I was under the impression Android has them beat a couple times over.

It's tricky when you are comparing a hardware system (apple) with an operating system (android). There are half a dozen or so manufacturers making 40-50 different phone. If we are looking at total # of phones then android wins. If we are looking a software systems then apple wins (taking into acct iPad, iPod touch and iPhone).

Wise Old Owl
01-03-2012, 22:10
It amazes me whenever I hear people talking up their IPhone or other device and bragging that the battery lasts the entire day!

I carry a Nikon DSLR, battery lasts a week and a half minimum. Extra battery weighs about an oz and adds another week and a half. I take quite a few photos.

On the few occasions I wanted music, I carry a dedicated MP3 player whose battery lasts for several days to a week, listening about an hour or two each night.

Why on earth would you want to limit yourself to a device that needs charging once a day, if you are lucky? Doesn't make any sense to me, even when at home.

Lyle a smart phone has a large lithium rechargable that lasts two 1/2 days on average use - text every 16 seconds - maybe 2 days. After a year it drops to one day.... then one should think about recycling.

Wise Old Owl
01-03-2012, 22:11
It's tricky when you are comparing a hardware system (apple) with an operating system (android). There are half a dozen or so manufacturers making 40-50 different phone. If we are looking at total # of phones then android wins. If we are looking a software systems then apple wins (taking into acct iPad, iPod touch and iPhone).

My Motorola Droid runs on Google software..... I am happy.

kersh00
01-03-2012, 22:26
We have 2 iPhones and have had zero problems. We also have a Motorola Droid and we are on the second replacement. The other Android we have seems ok, but it doesnt compare to the Apple products.

TyTy
01-04-2012, 10:33

I am comparing iOS phones (iphone) to phones running Android, just phones not tablets or MP3 players. I was under the impression that there are many many more smart phones running Android OS versus iOS.

itsallgood
01-04-2012, 15:34
I do believe that Android has been in the lead as far as quantity of phones running their operating system. When I stated that iPhone "Was and always be more popular" that was my opinion, which I stated, based on selling both operating systems with a carrier that has sold the iphone since its inception and Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid. Now, what you need to keep in mind is that until recently AT&T was the sold provider of the iPhone. What that means is that customer's that were loyal to Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint had no choice but Android since the other operating systems (Blackberry, Windows & Palm) were and still remain to be so far behind the curve. That's why I think the numbers are a little off. Give it a year, until everyone with Sprint and Verizon become upgrade eligible and get new phones, and then we'll see what's being used more. Sprint just spent $20 billion in order to have the ability to sell the iPhone and that says alot to me......

TyTy
01-04-2012, 17:53
I do believe that Android has been in the lead as far as quantity of phones running their operating system. When I stated that iPhone "Was and always be more popular" that was my opinion, which I stated, based on selling both operating systems with a carrier that has sold the iphone since its inception and Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid. Now, what you need to keep in mind is that until recently AT&T was the sold provider of the iPhone. What that means is that customer's that were loyal to Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint had no choice but Android since the other operating systems (Blackberry, Windows & Palm) were and still remain to be so far behind the curve. That's why I think the numbers are a little off. Give it a year, until everyone with Sprint and Verizon become upgrade eligible and get new phones, and then we'll see what's being used more. Sprint just spent $20 billion in order to have the ability to sell the iPhone and that says alot to me......

I don't see it happening. Iphone has been available at Verizon for a while now and Android is outselling them at an amazingly large clip. Apple products have never won in the market share category. They have their loyal audience and everyone else does what everyone else does.

I'm just not a big fan of Apple products. It seems like if you use one thing apple you really need to be using all Apple. I see the attraction if you use apple at work, you have a mac laptop at home and then an iphone and ipad but it seems like it has be to be all or nothing.

Stats 2012
01-05-2012, 01:05
happily I made the switch from an iPhone to Droid razr. I consider myself a producer rather than a consumer. The iPhone is fantastic for most folks, but I like doing things with my phone. And the Razr is amazing! ! ! My number one consideration: removable memory and a file system that will allow me to send micro SD cards home to be backed up to a PC. Imagine losing all your data if you lost or broke your phone before making it home to back it up.

Bucherm
01-06-2012, 06:31

You know how I know that you aren't too aware of the differences between the operating systems?

You're referring to anything with an Android OS as a "droid" ("Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid.")

:P

iOS devices, IMO, have cruddy notifications, the lack of widgets stinks, and, most damning for long distance hikers, no ability to remove batteries. At least with the infinity billion different Android devices you can find a formfactor you want, a connection(LTE, WiMAX, GSM, CDMA) you want etc. Apples main selling point is that "we make it really, really dumb and a walled garden. Also, lots of shiny, breakable, surfaces".

And I think Windows Phone 7 is the best OS of the bunch, but Verizon is treating it as the unwanted stepchild. Part of that problem is Win7 not having native support for LTE built in.

itsallgood
01-06-2012, 22:52
You know how I know that you aren't too aware of the differences between the operating systems?

You're referring to anything with an Android OS as a "droid" ("Android based phones starting about six months after T-Mobile started selling the original Droid.")

iOS devices, IMO, have cruddy notifications, the lack of widgets stinks, and, most damning for long distance hikers, no ability to remove batteries. At least with the infinity billion different Android devices you can find a formfactor you want, a connection(LTE, WiMAX, GSM, CDMA) you want etc. Apples main selling point is that "we make it really, really dumb and a walled garden. Also, lots of shiny, breakable, surfaces".

And I think Windows Phone 7 is the best OS of the bunch, but Verizon is treating it as the unwanted stepchild. Part of that problem is Win7 not having native support for LTE built in.

Do you know how I know that you aren't too award of the differences between the operating systems?

You're wrong, on many counts. I don't typically respond to posts by starting of with a mildly antagonistic one liner but I figured I'd repay the favor.

First, I'm going to point out the error in my posting that you quoted. The "Droid" was not in fact the first phone T-Mobile carried that ran the "Android" operating system. Verizon was the first carrier to carry the "Droid" which was their first Android based phone. T-Mobile's was the G1 made by HTC which did run "Android".

Your first error was stating that the only time I mentioned the Droid was when I made the afore mentioned error. Other than that I only used "Android" when discussing the operating system....not the device.

Secondly, the Droid runs Android software....so even T-Mobile did carry the original Droid (which they didn't since it was a CDMA only phone and not a GSM phone like it would have to be to operate on T-Mobile's network) you'd still be wrong.

Next, the Droid actually launched almost a year after T-Mobile began selling the G1. Check the bible (phonescoop) if you'd like to check my facts.

I can honestly understand the down side of not being able to remove the battery on the iPhone in relation to thru hiker's and I'll even half agree with it. Though, it could easily be dealt with by getting something like the Mophie Juicepack which would give the iPhone a realistic 6 hours of extra battery life. Little more than the average battery and not much more expensive. Plus, it will protect all the "shiny, breakable, surfaces". I'm assuming you're talking about the glass on the back of the iPhone 4/4s since that is pretty much the only breakable surface that would be different from almost any other touch screen smart phone since they all have a glass front which is a "shiny, breakable, surface." Rather than being "really, really dumb" I would probably say that the iPhone is "really, really smart" since will do as much as any Droid (at least the things that 99% of users will use it for) while making it really easy to use. Walled garden? If you want to nerd the phone out, jailbreak it like so many people do, then you can really "play" with your smartphone.

Quite possibly the most revolting comment made was that "Windows Phone 7 is the best OS of the bunch". I used to love Windows, I carried the HTC Mogul, Tilt, Tilt 2, Diamond and quite possible a few more. These phones kicked ass because they were pocket sized computers that you could make phone calls from. With Windows Phone 7, Microsoft alienated their core user by eliminating everything they liked about their phones. I could rant for hours about these phones, which AT&T also treats as the "unwanted stepchild of the bunch", but it's honestly not worth my time. Briefly though: too reliant on Zune (which sucks ass), Bing as the search engine (which sucks ass), social hub will trash your contacts, no multi-tasking, no cut/copy paste, unreliable/glitchy OS. I've been given half a dozen of these phones that were all promised to be the best new thing (HTC Surround, Samsung Focus, LG Quantum, Samsung Focus Flash). I carry them for a week and then give them to my friends kids to play with. Unfortunatley for Windows, Apple iOS and then Android beat them to the market with superior products. A little too weak an OS and years too late Microsoft. The best thing I heard at the Windows Phone 7 launch party was when they announced that if Microsoft fails with this OS then they're getting out of the cell phone game....then they lauched more phones...also running Windows 7....

MNBackpacker
01-17-2012, 12:06
The iPhone 4S does take amazing pictures....

QiWiz
01-17-2012, 20:28
I have and would again bring the iPhone on the AT as camera, music, books, AT guide, GPS, nature reference, weather forecast check, etc - and occasionally as a phone. With careful common sense battery management and a recharge from a 2 oz rechargeable external recharger (Richard Solo 1800 ma), I can go 8-9 days between electrical plug-ins. Long before that, I have usually hit a hostel or town. Have not used a Droid, but see no reason to change. I have the iPhone 4 and will go to the 4S when my contract allows because of the camera.

Chaco Taco
01-17-2012, 21:55
Have a droid X2 and HATE it. Droid in general sucks! Wont make it through a day on the trail without multiple backup batts. Iphone would be the choice Id go with if I could carry anything. Im getting a cheap prepaid cell to carry like i did in 08, and will just carry my Canon power shot. I dont need to have all of the other crap, signals in Vermont will be spotty anyway.

TyTy
01-18-2012, 09:59
For those that want a phone with larger battery, there is a Droid Razr Maxx coming out with a 3300 ahm battery versus the stock one which is 1750 or 1850 in that range. Its ntot hat much thicker either.

gatc-blazer
02-12-2012, 13:59
I used the BackCountry Navigator app for two days on my Droid X2 and did not have to recharge or change the battery. Check the phone setting and app to maximize battery life.

Wise Old Owl
02-22-2012, 18:04
Have a droid X2 and HATE it. Droid in general sucks! Wont make it through a day on the trail without multiple backup batts. Iphone would be the choice Id go with if I could carry anything. Im getting a cheap prepaid cell to carry like i did in 08, and will just carry my Canon power shot. I dont need to have all of the other crap, signals in Vermont will be spotty anyway.

There has to be a reason Chaco - somthing is on or an app is chewing the battery....give it a full charge overnight - if two years old the battery can be inexspensivly replaced on line. might want to change the brightness to auto instead of full on...

TyTy
02-23-2012, 14:27

The reason why your charge isnt lasting is because it is searching for signal on the trail probably. You said signal is spotty, that is the worst/most battery draining thing a phone can do is hunt for cell signal. They devote a lot of resources to hunting for signal when it is spotty, mainly because people's first priority is usually to have signal on their phone. So your phone is hunting, searching, switching from one signal channel to another, one tower to another, analyzing, searching some more. That crap will drain a battery likety split. Turn it on airplane mode, I bet the battery lasts multiple days. Turn airplane mode off when you need to send a text or make a call or whatever.

Any phone is giong to lose charge hunting for signal weather it is Android, iphone, or a cheap flip phone.

dornstar
04-16-2012, 00:56
The reason why your charge isnt lasting is because it is searching for signal on the trail probably. You said signal is spotty, that is the worst/most battery draining thing a phone can do is hunt for cell signal. They devote a lot of resources to hunting for signal when it is spotty, mainly because people's first priority is usually to have signal on their phone. So your phone is hunting, searching, switching from one signal channel to another, one tower to another, analyzing, searching some more. That crap will drain a battery likety split. Turn it on airplane mode, I bet the battery lasts multiple days. Turn airplane mode off when you need to send a text or make a call or whatever.

Any phone is giong to lose charge hunting for signal weather it is Android, iphone, or a cheap flip phone.
It's crazy how long a battery will last in airplane mode.

Also, when you turn it off, don't go 4G. That'll kill your battery faster than anything then use common sense... turn off wifi, gps, google location services, live wallpaper, widgets, etc. Make your phone as light as possible just like we do our packs.

Passengr57
04-16-2012, 04:06
I'll try to keep this brief, I am an iPhone user but really a late convert, it was worth it. Great device, total game changer. No removable battery, and I use an Otterbox defender which is a bulky cover but worth it. I'm about to switch to a Mophie case as it is a good case and battery in one, the case will charge your phone when your juice runs out. A close friend uses a mophie and swears by it. Anyone on the trail with an iPhone should seriously consider it IMO. (aaaand they're not much bulkier than otterboxes.)

http://www.mophie.com/

LDog
04-16-2012, 08:52
Really, really happy with my HTC Droid Incredible 2 on the Verizon network. Not a big-screen, quad-core, 4g monster, and battery life is longer for it. Around town I can go for a day if connected to 3G whenever I'm out of the house - tho I rarely do that. I can easily go 2 days of use connected to wi-fi around the house On the trail, I do what others have said - turn off all services, go into airplane mode and shut it off till I want it. The 8mp camera is pretty incredible too (says the photographer). Tho I carry a better camera, I'll duplicate some shots with the droid because it's easier to upload them to my blog, social sites, etc. At the end of the day, I'll check for 3G service, and make a blog entry if I have it. Otherwise, I'll write my entries, save them locally, and upload them when I have a good signal. (I learned the hard way how trying to push something on less than a good 3G signal wastes battery power.) I carry a New Trent ACD66 battery to recharge it, tho I might look for something smaller/lighter as I don't believe I need that capacity in most cases. It comes standard with voice to text, tho I use the Swype keyboard. Got it dirt cheap, have had zero problems with it, would purchase again. Highly recommended.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 09:50
If you keep your phone off and only use it when you need to not as a music box, the battery will last until the next recharge. I have never had a problem with many different phones up to 12 days. What am I missing? Do people want to have the phone on all the time in case mommy calls?
No and you knew the answer to that. Isn't it nice that relatives keep in touch? but switching off when not in use has merit.

its a Laptop in a 4oz package... Gps, phone, MP3-4, SkyFM, news, sports, Kindle, Maps, Identification books, weather, Newspaper, etc. And it's two days... unless its a year old and the GPS is on all the time. It's an anti-bored device... for non-tree huggers.

Is the iphone the more popular smartphone? I was under the impression Android has them beat a couple times over. YUP

As far as browsing the web while on a call, you can do this on Verizon 4G it's just 3G that you can't.

Iphone is simple and I think is the best choice for older people hesitant to get a smartphone. It also currently does not have 4G and apparently won't for another 6-7 months.

To add to the discussion about removable batteries, I think if I was on a thru hike I would consider one of those stand alone battery packs that takes AAA or AA batteries and plugs into your phone to charge it. With that you could grab fresh batteries when you are in town to charge your device. You could get one that runs off your headlamp battery size (likely AAA).

I have one - $ave the money and the weight... they provide 2-3 charges.... There are lighter options. AND I am OLD and no I can live without I phone... :D My angry younger manager has one and he would be really angry to read your "older people..." Idea-Ouch....

TyTy
04-16-2012, 11:53
I have one - $ave the money and the weight... they provide 2-3 charges.... There are lighter options. AND I am OLD and no I can live without I phone... :D My angry younger manager has one and he would be really angry to read your "older people..." Idea-Ouch....

Haha, yeah some people might be offended by that but I will stand by it. I think iphones have fewer options, fewer customization, more has already been decided for you by Apple which some people (young, tech savvy people) see as a huge disadvantage but older, less tech savvy people see as a huge advantage. Not to say there aren't older, tech savvy people or vice versa.

I think for an older person looking to get a smartphone, but is worried about it being too much complication, an iphone might be a better option than a Droid.

Also to address some of the other comments, 4G WOW! What a battery drain! I don't have 4G where I live but I was traveling the other day and was shocked how quick it drained me.

As far as number of times you charge per day/week on a smartphone vs flip phone...for me, under normal circumstances (not out hiking) all I need is for my phone to hold a charge, with heavy use, for about 16 hours of heavy use. Usually after 16 hours (slightly more, slightly less) I go to sleep and can charge my phone to start the next day at a full charge. Anything beyond that is overkill.

Lyle
04-16-2012, 14:38
Lyle a smart phone has a large lithium rechargable that lasts two 1/2 days on average use - text every 16 seconds - maybe 2 days. After a year it drops to one day.... then one should think about recycling.

Thank you for re-inforcing my point. My TracFone is about 4 years old, original battery, still lasts well over two weeks vs your brand new smartphone that may last 2.5 days. Still no contest. Plus, if the battery ever does fail in my TracFone, it is replaceable. My phone cost $19, the annual service costs $120, moe if I use it more. I've never had to spend more for minutes. No contracts, and I don't have to buy a new phone every two years. Still no contest.

The posters prior to my statement were bragging that their smartphones lasted all day on a single charge.

Beuhler
04-21-2012, 08:52
A major differentiator for me was the combination iPhone/iPad. All iPhone apps (like Gram Weenie, which I use constantly to help determine which gear I'm bringing) work on the iPad and helps me justify the cost. I don't take the iPad hiking though. For hiking the iPhone 4s is my camera, gps, phone, book, mp3 player, night light, game console (helps waste time in the airport), reference manual, and survival guide.

dornstar
04-26-2012, 22:06
I'll try to keep this brief, I am an iPhone user but really a late convert, it was worth it. Great device, total game changer. No removable battery, and I use an Otterbox defender which is a bulky cover but worth it. I'm about to switch to a Mophie case as it is a good case and battery in one, the case will charge your phone when your juice runs out. A close friend uses a mophie and swears by it. Anyone on the trail with an iPhone should seriously consider it IMO. (aaaand they're not much bulkier than otterboxes.)

http://www.mophie.com/
I think there's better options out there. The iPhone's battery is 1432 mAh, so...

Mophie Juice Pack Air = 1500 mAh = 1 charge

Mophie Juice Pack Plus = 2000 mAh = 1.3 charges

Mophie Outdoor Edition = 2000 mAh = 1.3 charges

Mophie Power Station = 6000 mAh = 4.1 charges

The cases are worthless if you're doing more than just a very short trip. The power station is nice, but it weighs 8 ounces and cost $129. For comparison, 2 Ankers external batteries gives 8 iPhone 4S charges, cost less than $70 and is the same weight.

sterling98
04-26-2012, 22:25
My iphone 4 lasted 3 weeks on "airplane mode" without being charged and still had a good 30 percent left. My friend has a 4S that lasts about 5 days under the same conditions. Iphones seem to have very different battery lives from phone to phone. Maybe it's just me...

DaFireMedic
05-06-2012, 02:50
I have both the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Epic 4g Touch. I like them both, but I prefer the Epic in almost all areas except the GPS, in which the iPhone seems to excel for a phone. The Epic is the first Android phone that has a quality feel to it like the iPhone. The Epic has a larger and slightly nicer screen IMO, you can add memory with micro SD cards, removeable battery (I paid 19$ including shipping for a 3800 mAh battery), accessories are a fraction of the cost of iPhones. The "Mac Tax" seems to have been passed on and everything seems to cost significantly more for the iPhone, but I must say that service at the Apple store was very good when my wife destroyed her iPhone and they replaced it for much less than what I thought it was going to cost. Apple does strictly regulate apps which is both good and bad. Less chance of malware and I don't have to worry as much about my young sons encountering some of the pornographic trash and profanity in the titles that show up in the Google Play app store. Size wise, the iPhone is a bit smaller, but the Epic weighs slightly less.

The camera, both still and video are very comparable. Still photos are very close, a slight edge in video to the Epic. I'm a serious video hobbyist and while I mainly use "real" video cameras, both phones can produce amazing video for phones, provided you stabilize them in some way (small tripod, beanbag, etc). I'm thinking about cutting some of the Epic's footage that I shot in Yellowstone into footage from my $3500 camera to see if I can get it close enough to tell.

Knee Deep
05-08-2012, 19:50
I use a Droid and carry 3 spare fully charged batteries which I got from Amazon online real cheap. I use phone apps a lot and take lots of pics and video. I put in sleep mode when not using to save battery, usually will last me about a week on trail. Didn't go with Razor because of non-removable battery.

dornstar
05-08-2012, 23:07
I use a Droid and carry 3 spare fully charged batteries which I got from Amazon online real cheap. I use phone apps a lot and take lots of pics and video. I put in sleep mode when not using to save battery, usually will last me about a week on trail. Didn't go with Razor because of non-removable battery.
I did the same thing until I found the Ankers Astro 5600mAh battery charger. Weights 4 ounces and gives my Droid Bionic 4 full charges. Also has an LED flashlight, so you have a backup light which is nice.

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2012, 23:18
Yea thats a good find for $33 bucks.... I am on board with that... does anyone have a better unit?

Bucherm
05-10-2012, 08:31
My iphone 4 lasted 3 weeks on "airplane mode" without being charged and still had a good 30 percent left. My friend has a 4S that lasts about 5 days under the same conditions. Iphones seem to have very different battery lives from phone to phone. Maybe it's just me...

The 4S has a dual core CPU which no doubt increases the battery drain a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bruno34Slifer
06-21-2012, 14:27
The Droid Razr is a better size than the iPhone 4S, both with a larger 4.3″ display and 2mm thinner. The Razr Maxx doesn’t have that second benefit, and is almost the exact same thickness as the 4S. The only difference then is the length and width, which the Maxx is certainly larger.

WIAPilot
06-21-2012, 16:15
I plan to use my iPhone 4S for everything. ​I swear by the iPhone.