PDA

View Full Version : Probable delay - advice

strollingalong
12-29-2011, 12:24
Hey guys.... because of some stupid procrastination, poor foresight and some rather ...ahem.... less than intelligent choices, I'm now waiting on paperwork and post and stupid stuff in order to get my renewed passport (from UK) and will still need to get my US visa. With a little Christmas miracle I'll be ok for my original planned start date (22nd March) or slightly late one... guess till about April 15th. However, it's reasonably likely because of possible lost post that I'm going to be delayed a bit (or a lot!)

What would be the latest (but comfortable) I should start northbound if I NEED to be finished by latest of October 1st? - don't want to rush and I'm not an experienced hiker, though have done a 500 mile trail before.

Or I could leave May 19th, or I could leave July 21st. With these dates in mind, am I correct in assuming that the former would be a flip flop and the latter a southbound? I would love to be there sometime in March/early April, but ...AGHHHH! :) :) :) any general pointers.... just feeling quite frustrated about things beyond my control.

Don H
12-29-2011, 12:42
There's an article on this site titled " AT Hiking Rates, Section by Section" that will give you some helpful planning info. However lots of things can happen along the way to slow you down.

max patch
12-29-2011, 12:47
With a little Christmas miracle I'll be ok for my original planned start date (22nd March) or slightly late one... guess till about April 15th.

I think April 1-15 is the best window of time to start a NOBO. I'd personally leave April 15.

What would be the latest (but comfortable) I should start northbound if I NEED to be finished by latest of October 1st? - don't want to rush and I'm not an experienced hiker, though have done a 500 mile trail before.

Don't know anything about you, but if you are an average hiker and don't get sucked into a group that spends more than a day in town, then I think you should start no later than April 15.

Or I could leave May 19th, or I could leave July 21st. With these dates in mind, am I correct in assuming that the former would be a flip flop and the latter a southbound?

Yes.

rgarling
12-29-2011, 15:35
I'm probably reading it wrong, but if you leave July 21st you won't be able to finish by Oct 1. Also, leaving May 19th to arrive on 1 Oct is pushing it in my book.

strollingalong
12-29-2011, 15:38
yep, you read it wrong. :)

RWheeler
12-29-2011, 16:38
I'm leaving for my NOBO (not flip-flop) thru on 25 April, if that's any consolation to you. That gives me 10 days under 6 months to finish before K closes. So if you're leaving around the 15th, and want to finish by 1 October, I'd say you're looking at just about the same time frame as I am.

Although, if I have to, I will flip-flop. I think. I dunno, I'll see what happens.