PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Body Mechanics of long distance hiking?

MissMagnolia
12-29-2011, 18:09
Does anybody have knowledge, experience, hits, tips, tricks, thoughts or advice you can share that might shed light or help with preconditioning that is not just about climbing stairs or building cardio? I'm thinking structural mechanics here, but as a NOOB I can use all the help I can get.

Some of my thoughts and experiences:

I was reading a book called "The 4 Hour Body" a few months ago and noticed the section about pre-conditioning the body. The author said most people's bodies are unbalanced, stronger on one side than the other and that this can cause injuries. I did the tests with a trainer at my gym, and yes, my left side is definitely weaker than my right side and I noticed when I did my first 10K that the outside of my right knee bothered me. For the second 10K I did knee stretches with a theraband for a few weeks ahead of time and didn't have that problem.

I noticed that I'm always reaching with my right arm, even across my body to something on the left, yet rarely do the same with my left arm across my body. Lately when I catch myself doing it, to make an equal stretch I'll repeat with a cross-body stretch using my left arm. I also notice that when I bend over, I automatically put my weight and get the stretch on my right leg, so now I try to at least equal that out by repeating the motion putting the weight on my left leg.

I got my Vibram Five Fingers to strengthen the tendons and muscles of my feet, ankles, lower legs and have learned to have a mid or fore-foot strike and I've been working on balancing exercises, just balancing on each foot until I can't anymore, then switching. It's much harder in crocs, by the way. Then I noticed a post suggesting that when you hike uphill, you put your head down and your heels first, which I'm experimenting with now and like better than trying to land forefoot on an uphill. I read on a website talking about minimalist running shoes that proper (running?) form is to lift the knee, not push off from the forefoot, so I've started focusing on that and it feels much better on my soles. Finally, I've been experimenting with my trekking poles and am trying to find the most effective way to use them.

So, does anybody have thoughts on this or other similar topics that would be applicable to long distance hiking? I'm doing a 2012 thru-hike leaving in April, so I have about 3 1/2 months to experiment/train.

Thanks!

RWheeler
12-29-2011, 18:15
In terms of the reaching, I'm a natural lefty. However, being in a right-handed dominant world, that sort of equates to some degree of ambidexterity (or as i like to call it, ambisinistrality, heh...). If you're consciously doing both whenever you catch yourself favoring one, that'll be a very solid start. It's harder to do than it sounds, so props to that.

As for your mention of balance, I know one thing I've done that has been a tremendous help in refining my balance in a symmetrical fashion - slacklining. Essentially, it's tensioning some nylon webbing and walking on it like it's a tightrope. Since it's not as tight as a tightrope (much more like a narrow narrow trampoline), it's incredibly dynamic. It's made me much more proprioceptive (aware of my body angles/orientations) for my ankles, knees, and arms.

You may want to look into something like that if you want to develop both sides for balance and such.

BlakeGrice
12-29-2011, 18:36
I think in those 3.5 months you need to put a pack on and get in some mountains....and walk...a lot. I am not a long distance hiker- have done 22 miles over a few days- did 14 miles a few weeks ago- and its harder than you think it is. You can prepare in the gym all you want, but I think getting out there and doing it will prep you the best. just my opinion.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 19:25
There just isn't any piece of gym equipment or training regimen that can realistically toughen you to the demands of hiking up and down hills and mountains over rocks and roots everyday. You can get in good shape prior to going, but you still won't be hardened to the demands of the trail. And remember, thru-hikers are usually in great cardio shape when they get done. But their feet are often another story - the trail can put a hurtin' on your feet. Also, most all thru-hikers lose both fat and lean muscle mass (upper body and arm muscles). It's all legs and lungs, not the results you would look to achieve in a balanced exercise program.

Hooch
12-29-2011, 19:32
You're way overthinking this. Just go hike. :rolleyes:

Kerosene
12-29-2011, 19:38
One area that people over look is proprioception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception), or sensing where your body is in space without looking. The importance for the hiker is being aware of where your feet are without having to consciously having to stare at them all day. All you need is one sprained ankle and you'll be off the trail for awhile. Certainly hikers with stronger ankles will experience fewer problems, but you can still take steps to avoid injury. One exercise I do, as my ankles are weak, is to stand barefoot on one leg on an uneven surface in a dark room with my eyes closed. Put the other leg forward for 30 seconds, behind for 30, to the side for 30, then randomly for 30. Strengthens your ankles and forces you to feel where you are in space.

RWheeler
12-29-2011, 20:21
One area that people over look is proprioception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception)...

I'm glad someone else brought it up ;)

I can honestly say that my walking has been MUCH more efficient and smooth since focusing on developing it.

MissMagnolia
12-29-2011, 20:44
In terms of the reaching, I'm a natural lefty. However, being in a right-handed dominant world, that sort of equates to some degree of ambidexterity (or as i like to call it, ambisinistrality, heh...). If you're consciously doing both whenever you catch yourself favoring one, that'll be a very solid start. It's harder to do than it sounds, so props to that.

As for your mention of balance, I know one thing I've done that has been a tremendous help in refining my balance in a symmetrical fashion - slacklining. Essentially, it's tensioning some nylon webbing and walking on it like it's a tightrope. Since it's not as tight as a tightrope (much more like a narrow narrow trampoline), it's incredibly dynamic. It's made me much more proprioceptive (aware of my body angles/orientations) for my ankles, knees, and arms.

You may want to look into something like that if you want to develop both sides for balance and such.

Thank you for the idea of slacklining. I had never heard of it before. I'm interested to try it out.

MissMagnolia
12-29-2011, 20:46
One area that people over look is proprioception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception), or sensing where your body is in space without looking. The importance for the hiker is being aware of where your feet are without having to consciously having to stare at them all day. All you need is one sprained ankle and you'll be off the trail for awhile. Certainly hikers with stronger ankles will experience fewer problems, but you can still take steps to avoid injury. One exercise I do, as my ankles are weak, is to stand barefoot on one leg on an uneven surface in a dark room with my eyes closed. Put the other leg forward for 30 seconds, behind for 30, to the side for 30, then randomly for 30. Strengthens your ankles and forces you to feel where you are in space.

These are exactly the kinds of things I'm looking for. Thank you!

RWheeler
12-29-2011, 20:51
Thank you for the idea of slacklining. I had never heard of it before. I'm interested to try it out.

They sell ready-made kits with ratchets that are very easy to set up, but get very limited in terms of tension, in my opinion, but they also sell everything you'd need to make your own set-up at somewhere like REI. If you have any more questions about it, just shoot me a PM. I'd gladly help you out with it. Just be careful! It's more difficult than it looks, and if you don't set it up low and work up gradually, you can hurt yourself. I'd hate to hear you sitting out because of a foot/ankle injury from this, hahaha.

MissMagnolia
12-29-2011, 20:54
Just for clarification. I do rehab work with dogs to develop proprioception, balance and tiny muscle movements (like using a wobble board and foam mattresses) in order to build muscle mass and stabilize joints. I just don't know how it applies to people and hikers specifically. When you add a pack you change the way the body moves, and add in trekking poles which I'm not used to and little imbalances over time with repetitive motion has the potential to cause major changes in the way you move, therefore quite possibly leading to injury. Of course I'm already out hiking with my pack on, we're having gorgeous weather lately where I live. Maybe I do overthink. I have been accused of that before, but maybe also the low completion rate of thru-hike attempts merits some overthinking? Besides, it keeps my brain occupied while I wait impatiently for April. :p

Lone Wolf
12-29-2011, 21:03
it's just walkin' with weight. up and down hills. you'll adjust in a few weeks. or you won't. then go home a dream again :)

Del Q
12-29-2011, 21:16
Unfortunately I deal with ongoing "orthopedic" issues, 35 years worth.

Am a section hiker, what seems to work best is keeping my weight down, tough but making steady progress............staying fit, focusing on flexibility (yoga/proper stretching) and cardio. Core work has also been a game changer............often neglected, have learned a lot about that piece the last few years helping our son work his way out of a wheel-chair.............3X, 2000+ therapy sessions..............push ups of recent.............my goal is to be trail ready every day, cardio push ups and sit ups are the basis of my "training".

Our house in on a hill, with and without a pack I will hike up and down and up and down and up and down and ...........also hike SIDEWAYS, super for ankle strength. Helped a lot on NH hike a few months ago.

I try to leave with a 30-32lb pack, all in, at my weight, 230 as of now, this is not a tough load for me, average 12 miles/day, expect pain of some sort during and after.

Totally agree that the only real way to fully train for the AT is to hike on tough trails with a fully loaded pack

MissMagnolia
12-29-2011, 21:27
Unfortunately I deal with ongoing "orthopedic" issues, 35 years worth.

Am a section hiker, what seems to work best is keeping my weight down, tough but making steady progress............staying fit, focusing on flexibility (yoga/proper stretching) and cardio. Core work has also been a game changer............often neglected, have learned a lot about that piece the last few years helping our son work his way out of a wheel-chair.............3X, 2000+ therapy sessions..............push ups of recent.............my goal is to be trail ready every day, cardio push ups and sit ups are the basis of my "training".

Our house in on a hill, with and without a pack I will hike up and down and up and down and up and down and ...........also hike SIDEWAYS, super for ankle strength. Helped a lot on NH hike a few months ago.

I try to leave with a 30-32lb pack, all in, at my weight, 230 as of now, this is not a tough load for me, average 12 miles/day, expect pain of some sort during and after.

Totally agree that the only real way to fully train for the AT is to hike on tough trails with a fully loaded pack

Nice post. I like the hiking sideways bit. I hike on a steep 1.5 mile climb near my house. Total 3 miles. It gets me pretty winded, but I could do more. The longer, steeper but mostly paved hike that's 2.5 up, so a total of 5 miles, is about 2 hours away so I don't do it very often though I'd prefer to train on that one. I think I'll have to start the up and down (and sideways!) on my closer trail to increase my training miles.

prain4u
12-29-2011, 21:33
There just isn't any piece of gym equipment or training regimen that can realistically toughen you to the demands of hiking up and down hills and mountains over rocks and roots everyday. You can get in good shape prior to going, but you still won't be hardened to the demands of the trail. And remember, thru-hikers are usually in great cardio shape when they get done. But their feet are often another story - the trail can put a hurtin' on your feet. Also, most all thru-hikers lose both fat and lean muscle mass (upper body and arm muscles). It's all legs and lungs, not the results you would look to achieve in a balanced exercise program.

I couldn't agree more. There is only one thing that can harden you for hiking in hill country and mountains--and that is doing lots of hiking in hill country and mountains. There are no exercises or pieces of workout equipment that can fully do the job. I have seen star athletes (football players and/or distance runners)--in prime physical condition--have difficulty adjusting to long distance hiking. Resign yourself to taking the first 2-4 weeks of a thru hike getting your feet and legs in "trail condition" . There are few (if any) shortcuts.

Blissful
12-29-2011, 22:15
Honestly...just hike / walk with a pack on your back. You'll get all the conditioning and mechanics you need.

Papa D
12-29-2011, 23:12
I think in those 3.5 months you need to put a pack on and get in some mountains....and walk...a lot. I am not a long distance hiker- have done 22 miles over a few days- did 14 miles a few weeks ago- and its harder than you think it is. You can prepare in the gym all you want, but I think getting out there and doing it will prep you the best. just my opinion.

hike, hike and hike - the best preparation for backpacking is backpacking - you'll either get your "trail legs" or you'll quit - it's pretty much that simple - I keep my 'trail legs" (sort of) year around - you'll know you have them when it's 3 or 4 pm and you've done 20 miles and 8 more doesn't seem too unreasonable