PDA

View Full Version : Where to park for Hogpen Gap to Deep Gap (NoBo)

JustADude
12-29-2011, 23:53
Looking at hiking the section from Hogpen Gap (NoBo) to Deep Gap. Like to know the best hostel near by to stay and leave a car to help minimize shuttle cost.

That is, is it better to try to stay in Hiawasssee, GA and get shuttled down to Hogpen and then picked up at Deep Gap, or is there a better hostel near by.

Trying to stay in the hostel if possible night before starting the hike.

Thanks for the feedback and insights.

daddytwosticks
12-30-2011, 08:44
I always try to hike TOWARDS my vehicle and not depend on a shuttler to pick me up...just what I prefer. :)

Papa D
12-30-2011, 08:58
You could park at your car fairly near Deep Gap at the Kimsey Creek Trailhead. To get there take US 76 East from the 17/75 junction (assuming you are coming up from Hogpen Gap) and cross the end of Lake Burton (6 miles or so) - find Persimmon Road on your left about a mile later and make a left - this road will briefly join with Plum Orchard Road and then you will follow Persimmon Road as it turns left (two times, I believe) - there is also a sign for the Southern Nantahala Coleman River Wilderness at one of these left turns (a Gazetteer would help - prob on NC one or GA one) - anyway follow this road as it winds along the UPPER Tallulah River through the tiny town of Tate City, GA and into NC. The road dead ends at Kimsey Creek Campsite which is a fine place to park (or car camp if you want to). When you finish your Nobo Hike, the top end of the Kimsey Creek Trail ends at USFS71 (Deep Gap) which is 4 miles North of Muskrat Creek Shelter and about 1 mile south of Standing Indian Mountain Shelter (which I suggest you go to and then back-track back to USFS71 the last morning. The Kimsey Creek Trail will bear nearly due south from USFS71 back to your car (if you park there) and is about 2 miles long - you will know you are on it as it follows Kimsey Creek straight down (after you are on it for a couple of tenths (duh). I would have suggested parking at USFS71 but I have never driven there myself and understand that it is both very hard to get to - especially from the South (I think you have to start in Franklin, NC) - - and is very often gated and closed by the forest service. Assuming you can find the Kimsey Creek Trailhead, it is a brilliant option for you.

Not too up on the hostel thing - you might try "Cloud Nine" in Hiawassee or Walasi -Yi center for a room / shuttle

Papa D
12-30-2011, 09:02
I always try to hike TOWARDS my vehicle and not depend on a shuttler to pick me up...just what I prefer. :)

yes - obviously, typically the best plan - going with my suggestion, have them meet you at Kimsey Creek -- or if you really want to make it easy, just park at US 76 right on the road - cuts your trip a little short though (unless you backtrack)

max patch
12-30-2011, 09:14
I would have suggested parking at USFS71 but I have never driven there myself and understand that it is both very hard to get to - especially from the South (I think you have to start in Franklin, NC) - - and is very often gated and closed by the forest service. Assuming you can find the Kimsey Creek Trailhead, it is a brilliant option for you.

FS71 is gated 1/1 -3/15.

I wouldn't say 71 is "hard" to get to...its all excellent paved roads until you reach 71 and then 71 is about 6 miles on a good FS rd any car can travel on. I would agree that its a lot of road miles when shuttling which is why people should consider Dicks Creek or Blue Ridge Gap instead as an alternative.

Papa D
12-30-2011, 09:22
FS71 is gated 1/1 -3/15.

I wouldn't say 71 is "hard" to get to...its all excellent paved roads until you reach 71 and then 71 is about 6 miles on a good FS rd any car can travel on. I would agree that its a lot of road miles when shuttling which is why people should consider Dicks Creek or Blue Ridge Gap instead as an alternative.

you probably know it better than I - good advice - wouldn't Kimsey Creek Tr. work good for the OP?

max patch
12-30-2011, 09:28
you probably know it better than I - good advice - wouldn't Kimsey Creek Tr. work good for the OP?

Kimsey Creek is a great hike and a great option. I park at the SIC with permission.

generoll
12-30-2011, 10:48
You can park at the Back Country Kiosk at the start of the Kimsey Creek Trail at no charge and get shuttled to Hog Pen. Depending on the time of year, you could spend your first night in the motel in Hiawassee and then shuttle to Hog Pen. Plenty of bail out options and if you're running ahead of schedule you can lengthen your hike by about 20 miles and push on to Glassmine Gap and then take the Long Branch Trail right back to your car.

daddytwosticks
12-30-2011, 17:18
I love hiking the Kimsey Creek Trail. However, at this time of year, I bet it's a really wet hike on some parts. :)

JustADude
12-31-2011, 01:55
people should consider Dicks Creek or Blue Ridge Gap instead as an alternative.

I like the Dicks Creek/Blue Ridge Gap idea, so what is the next major easy/acceptable shuttle access spot? Amicalola seems like the 1st, Neels/Hogpen seems like the 2nd good spot, Dicks Gap/Blue Ridge seems like the 3rd, so what is the 4th, i.e. next in the section hiking shuttle chain?

Thanks again for all the help.

generoll
12-31-2011, 17:04
Deep Gap is the first pick up point in NC. Blue Ridge Gap is not a place to leave a vehicle and is not always accessible in bad weather unless you are prepared to hike out 1 mile to the pavement.

Papa D
01-01-2012, 15:08
You can park at the Back Country Kiosk at the start of the Kimsey Creek Trail at no charge and get shuttled to Hog Pen. Depending on the time of year, you could spend your first night in the motel in Hiawassee and then shuttle to Hog Pen. Plenty of bail out options and if you're running ahead of schedule you can lengthen your hike by about 20 miles and push on to Glassmine Gap and then take the Long Branch Trail right back to your car.

This is the best plan for the OP in my opinion -- but it sounds like he is just going to Opt for stopping at Dicks Creek (US 76) -- he asked about the next obvious pick up spot -- I would suggest just going all the way to Old US 64 - Wallace Gap (near Standing Indian Campground - NOT to be confused with Standing Indian Shelter which is 20 miles or so south of this). You shuttle by just bouncing up to Franklin, hang a left on US64 (West) go past Winding Stair Gap, hang another left (first road) and follow the signs to the Campground (right hand turn where the trail comes down some stairs and up a hill to a parking spot) - the trail parallels the road -- you can even see Rock Gap Shelter from where you park -- I would NOT recommend Rock Gap Shelter - too close to road - attracts homeless folks and party people.