PDA

View Full Version : SOBO guidebooks?

hikerboy57
12-30-2011, 13:38
why do the majority of AT trail guides run SOBO instead of NOBO?(the maps are clearly written NOBO:))

Blissful
12-30-2011, 19:20
Who uses trail guides?

:) :)

To answer your question, because that is the way one is SUPPOSED to hike the AT!

moldy
12-31-2011, 10:36
Because they do not want my money. I must be weak minded because I get too frustrated attempting to use it. I don't understand why the data book can't be written both ways with 2 books. I own about a half a shelf of AT hiking books. With books I order over the internet I try to find out of it's written for Nobo's or Sobo's before I buy it. The sign says "Maine to Georgia" but that's not the way most hikers go or think. If you publish a book that starts in Maine, I won't buy it. Call me crazy, but it's my money.

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 10:45
Who uses trail guides?

To answer your question, because that is the way one is SUPPOSED to hike the AT!i knew youd say that:sun

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 10:52
why do the majority of AT trail guides run SOBO instead of NOBO?(the maps are clearly written NOBO:))

not sure. i have the 08 data book and it has katahdin at the front and springer at the end. if i go to the back of the guide and read it from there it is just the opposite. either way i will figure it out....lol:D

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 10:57
im also having trouble with the left handed map set i recently purchased.im a righty!
Happy new year everyone!!:banana

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 11:05
im also having trouble with the left handed map set i recently purchased.im a righty!
Happy new year everyone!!:banana

DANG THATS IT!! i knew my maps were made backwards...............and a happy new year to you and everyone else out there.....

Shadowalker
12-31-2011, 13:10
I am planning a thru hike in March and have recently Nov. sectioned hike 40 miles of the AT from Delaware Water Gap to Palmerton , I grew up in Carlisle , Pa. the AT runs thru our backyard here in Cumberland Cnty. , So I am no stranger 2 the trail , But those 40 miles in Eastern Pa. gave me a whole new respect for the trail , I was lucky enough to spend some time with a thru hiker ( Animal ) from Minn. who really knew his **** , He was completing his 2000 miles , He had a trail Guide that had everthing in it , water holes , Towns and stores in them , Trail friendly ppl. Ph. No. who would pick u up , Plces to stay , @ much 2 share here, I did not get info on the Guide , But he said he purchased it on line for $ 35.oo , Can someone tell me wich Guide this mite be ,There are so many !!

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 13:20
its either the companion which you can buy through aldha, or the AT guide, which i think theres a link to in the links section.

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 13:27
not sure what guide your refering too. bob mCcaw[501] took over wingfoots guide[the thruhikers handbook] and is or was doing a fine job with it. not sure if he is still in charge of that one....

Sly
12-31-2011, 13:30

The Majority? What trail guides are written SoBo?

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 13:35
The Majority? What trail guides are written SoBo?maine, nh vt, ny nj/ ga nc/tn.those are the only ones i have so far. the companion reads nobo, but all the others start from the north

Lyle
12-31-2011, 13:47
The trail guides, the big, section books are all written Southbound as far as I know. The Data Book is written Southbound, but does contain northbound mileage references, just start at the back of the book and read forward.
The Companion reads Northbound. The AT Guide (my preferred) gives you a choice of northbound or southbound version when you order it.

Sly
12-31-2011, 13:56
maine, nh vt, ny nj/ ga nc/tn.those are the only ones i have so far. the companion reads nobo, but all the others start from the north

I was under the impression the AT guidebooks were written in both directions.

Sly
12-31-2011, 13:59
I am planning a thru hike in March and have recently Nov. sectioned hike 40 miles of the AT from Delaware Water Gap to Palmerton , I grew up in Carlisle , Pa. the AT runs thru our backyard here in Cumberland Cnty. , So I am no stranger 2 the trail , But those 40 miles in Eastern Pa. gave me a whole new respect for the trail , I was lucky enough to spend some time with a thru hiker ( Animal ) from Minn. who really knew his **** , He was completing his 2000 miles , He had a trail Guide that had everthing in it , water holes , Towns and stores in them , Trail friendly ppl. Ph. No. who would pick u up , Plces to stay , @ much 2 share here, I did not get info on the Guide , But he said he purchased it on line for $ 35.oo , Can someone tell me wich Guide this mite be ,There are so many !!

If he spent $35 it was most likely the ATC guidebook with maps...

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=30&compid=1

lemon b
12-31-2011, 16:25
Six of one half dz of the other.

Lyle
12-31-2011, 16:40
I was under the impression the AT guidebooks were written in both directions.

May be. It's been decades since I've seen on of the actual section guidebooks.

Blissful
01-01-2012, 22:35
If you get the Vermont / NH ATC one, I have a photo in there. That alone is worth the price.