PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiking with non-collapsible trekking poles

nickbreid
12-30-2011, 16:39
Is this a real nuisance on the trail? One can grab poles that are presumably stronger, cheaper, and lighter than adjustable/collapsible options, but with the added hassle of dealing with their awkward size. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to stow them on the side of the pack while walking, but they could become a pain in traveling.

Another part of me wants to go for something that REI carries in order to have an easier time of replacing one if it breaks. Any suggestions?

StarMan
12-30-2011, 17:09
I have thousands of miles on collapsible poles. Never really had an issue with them breaking. I weigh 200 lbs and have had several saves on them, even the light weight Leki titanium ones. I do carry an extra tip. They are designed to be break away in a fall. I get in the habit of collapsing the poles and strapping them to my pack before my thumb comes out. Two reasons, one is that now your poles will not get left behind or lost, and two your full length pole doesn't poke a hole in the kind soles seat or roof liner. Hey, don't ruin your new pal's car. If you can't attach your poles to your pack, you will at some point leave them leaning against a tree. Plus, what do you do if you want to take a bus or plane and now your dealing with a full length pole.Other reasons for adjustable poles: I carry the Gossamer Gear " the one". My adjustable poles are my tent poles. Second, on snow I can use them on slopes as a better than nothing slope anchor.Bottom line I would never used fixed poles on an extended hike having to deal with rides and town visits.StarMan

nickbreid
12-30-2011, 17:29
Thanks for the input, StarMan! I will be using "The One" as well, and I was thinking specifically of the GG LT3 pole in writing this. Currently, it's almost half the price of the adjustable LT4s. If fixed-length poles are inconveniently large, I think that would at least mean they're hard to lose or forget, and I don't plan on taking them out in the snow. I'll also be driving to the beginning of my thru-hike, so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping until it's time to come home.

Still, it seems like the ease of adjustables might outweigh the slight cost and weight savings.

Heald
12-30-2011, 17:44
Previous to the modern poles, many thru hikers, myself included, carried a couple wooden sticks. I can't recall hearing a single complaint. I started carrying collapsible poles in 01. It was very, very rare that I
would bother to collapse them for anything, especially a hitch, inside a car, or more commonly in the bed of a pick up truck. It was my experience that constantly twisting open, and twisting shut the pole over
time tended to wear out the locking mechanism faster.

Brock
12-30-2011, 17:55
I give props to LEKI for fixing my poles the many times I've broken them both on the AT and even years later (all of which were my fault). I would buy more LEKI products solely based on their customer support for me. Even when their retailers were not happy to give me a free pole replacement, LEKI themselves were above and beyond my expectations.

I would like to try BlackDiamond poles though as their locking system looks interesting.

4 years after hiking the AT the screw in the top of my pole snapped due to salty crust freezing the screw up. LEKI sent me brand new poles with no questions asked. This was after several sections being replaced throughout the years. I was shocked and very happy.

That experience and their attitudes at Trail Days of cleaning any poles (even competitors) for free have made me a dedicated supporter.

Kookork
12-30-2011, 18:42
If you are seroius about using poles and want to enjoy full advantages of them, fixed length come short in many aspects. they are cheaper and lighter but that is the end of their advantages.

Blissful
12-30-2011, 19:16
I didn't collapse my poles esp when they got old, I was afraid they would not go back again. No issue with rides. Supposedly Leki is now making the locking mechanism like Black Diamond. I have to say their twist and lock method stinks and I have had many issues of them not tightening. That's why I don't collapse them.

weary
12-30-2011, 19:18
Is this a real nuisance on the trail? One can grab poles that are presumably stronger, cheaper, and lighter than adjustable/collapsible options, but with the added hassle of dealing with their awkward size. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to stow them on the side of the pack while walking, but they could become a pain in traveling.

Another part of me wants to go for something that REI carries in order to have an easier time of replacing one if it breaks. Any suggestions?
I've walked around 6,000 miles between the ages of 62 and 82 -- including 2,000 miles one year between Springer and Katahdin -- with a single wooden alder walking stick I picked up at the bottom of Dunn Notch falls in Maine. It weighs nine ounces with a rubber crutch tip, has never broken, and is as sturdy as ever.

I never found its 5 foot length a problem while hitch hiking to resupply towns on my long walk in 1993. I use it mostly for balance problems caused by an aging body. So far I've managed to restrict falls to about one per thousand miles.