PDA

View Full Version : Purists of a different sort

One Leg
03-10-2005, 20:05
In 2004, I met a young man hiking the A.T. who said that he had "vowed not to shower until he reached Connecticut". I took the "live & let live" approach toward him---until we reached Miss Janet's house, that is. He had that poor woman's house smelling to high heaven. The odor even drifted onto the front & back porches. It totally re-defined "funk". I've often wondered since that time if Miss Janet ended up getting rid of the mattress that Mr.Stinky Hiker slept on, or if she was able to rid all of the residual odors/flavors that lingered long after he departed the premises.

My point? It's okay to have that attitude, but please be considerate of hostel owners who open up their private homes for hikers to have a place to stay, and be considerate of the other hikers staying in those establishments. I realize that I'm probably speaking to a very low minority/populous of the trail/WB users, but please, for the sake of everyone, do your best to make each hostel experience a pleasant one for all.

One-Leg

Sly
03-10-2005, 20:40
That's just bogus. I could see if he stayed in the woods or something, but even then he could clean up and take "dundo" showers.

If I was Miss Janet, I would have demanded he either take a shower or GTFO of the house! :mad:

schwenkler
03-10-2005, 20:40
If he smelled bad at Miss Janet's I have to wonder about New York, if he kept his vow...

From personal experience, I think a hiker's clothes smell worse than his body, so if you're going to stop showering, at least do your laundry.

SGT Rock
03-10-2005, 21:35
..he could clean up and take "dundo" showers....

You must have read RJ's book. :D

Mags
03-10-2005, 21:41
That's just bogus. I could see if he stayed in the woods or something, but even then he could clean up and take "dundo" showers.

If I was Miss Janet, I would have demanded he either take a shower or GTFO of the house! :mad:

Febreeze. That's all I have to say. :)

steve hiker
03-10-2005, 21:59
Let me no where he is i'll make sure he lays on one my doo doos if he likes stink so much he'll have some reel stink.

One Leg
03-10-2005, 22:27
Febreeze. That's all I have to say. :)

I have visions of these little Fabreeze particles inside the bottle arguing amongst themselves:

"I ain't going out there, YOU go!"

"It ain't my turn, you were supposed to be next."

Smile
03-11-2005, 22:25
Coming through N CT, met a guy heading SOBO who said he hadn't showered for two states and was going for a record...dark haired fellow if I remember, hard to see through the fog around him....but he also carried a french horn in a pillow case on the very top/back of his pack...anybody else see the instrument?...we were amazed...figured he was not only going for the stink record ( we smelled him before we saw him) but was going to annouce it with a horn recital when he finally reached his final showering place. :o

Brushy Sage
03-11-2005, 22:58
Did this guy sleep in shelters along the way? If so, I can imagine a lot of hikers were motivated to get out and set up their tents, beyond odor range.

A-Train
03-11-2005, 23:04
Coming through N CT, met a guy heading SOBO who said he hadn't showered for two states and was going for a record...dark haired fellow if I remember, hard to see through the fog around him....but he also carried a french horn in a pillow case on the very top/back of his pack...anybody else see the instrument?...we were amazed...figured he was not only going for the stink record ( we smelled him before we saw him) but was going to annouce it with a horn recital when he finally reached his final showering place. :o

Probably talking about the Tubaman who hiked in 2001 SOBO I believe. Carried it the whole way and supposedly it broke his fall on the Pennsylvania rocks. Alumni of my fine institution as well

One Leg
03-11-2005, 23:07
Brushy Sage: I didn't stick around shelters when we were both at the same one...If he was there, I got out of dodge...Other hikers did complain about him, but that was normally when we were in closed confines, such as at Miss Janet's house. Out on the trail, in the outdoors, it wasn't so bad as long as you were upwind from him.

Smile: The hiker I'm speaking of did have dark hair, and spoke with a very pronounced lisp. Used mile-long words rather than "ordinary" words when he spoke. I didn't notice an instrument, though he could've had one. (I sure would've hated to have been the instrument.)

MedicineMan
03-11-2005, 23:35
i'm still laughing :)

orangebug
03-12-2005, 09:03
..Smile: The hiker I'm speaking of did have dark hair, and spoke with a very pronounced lisp. Used mile-long words rather than "ordinary" words when he spoke. I didn't notice an instrument, though he could've had one. (I sure would've hated to have been the instrument.)You met Michael Jackson!?!? :D