PDA

View Full Version : lightweight pillow for an ultra-lightweight backpacker

vacation
12-30-2011, 21:43
What is a very lightweight pillow for an ultra-lightweight backpacker ???

Hooch
12-30-2011, 21:55
The lightest pillow is no pillow at all. Use extra clothes you're already carrying in an extra stuff sack.

10-K
12-30-2011, 21:58
Any pillow lightweight enough for an UL hiker to carry would be positively useless.

I got the bright idea to buy a small down pillow that weighs a couple oz from REI. As soon as I put my head on it the thing compresses down so small it's like having no pillow at all.

mikec
12-30-2011, 22:00
I just take a pillow case with me and stuff my clothes into it. Works well.

q-tip
12-30-2011, 22:08
I got a fleece pillow cover and fill it with clothes---1.5 oz.

STICK
12-30-2011, 22:31
Any pillow lightweight enough for an UL hiker to carry would be positively useless.

I got the bright idea to buy a small down pillow that weighs a couple oz from REI. As soon as I put my head on it the thing compresses down so small it's like having no pillow at all.

I know. I asked my wife for a down pillow from Ben at Goosefeet. I knew it would do that, but I asked anyway. However, the biggest reason I wanted it was for use in my hammock during the colder months. My air pillows tend to get cold when using them in a hammock in cold temperatures. So, for this it should work fine.

I use a Cocoon Ultralight Air Core pillow primarily when sleeping in a tent, and also have a Exped Air Pillow. They both work fine and are pretty light, IMO. I gotta have some sort of a pillow, and usually I am wearing my clothes or don't have enough left over to use as a pillow, so the extra clothes bit never worked for me.

I did just order a Blast 30 pack and I am thinking I may can roll it up and use it somewhat as a pillow, as long as I can put something soft directly on top of it. I will see.

I have considered filling a stuff sack with leaves or such but have yet to actually try this.

10-K
12-30-2011, 22:32
I have used my Blast 30 for a pillow. But, you know what makes a great pillow? A dog pack full of dry dog food!

atmilkman
12-30-2011, 22:33
I got the Cocoon Hyper-lite. It weighs 2.4oz. It's an air bladder with polyester fill and soft nylon cover. I like it, works for me.

skinewmexico
12-31-2011, 00:41
Get an air pillow from Kooka Bay, wrap it in a shirt.

rusty bumper
12-31-2011, 12:38
I use my filled clothes bag as my pillow. Of course, the comfort of that pillow varies...after washing clothes in town, it's fuller and more comfortable. When I was carrying my cold weather clothes it was usually fuller as well, unless I was wearing my long johns, long sleeve t-shirt, and cap while sleeping. When my clothes bag got close to empty, I'd add my dry rain jacket for additional comfort. If my rain jacket was wet then I just had a pretty thin pillow, but I was usually so darn tired that it didn't really matter much.

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 12:44

for some reason i find that totally funny.....oh, the things we learn along the way...

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 12:46
stuff sack with different types of clothing depending on the season i am hiking in.....

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 12:59
Cloths bag, but sometimes it's kind of thin. Often my food bag, when its ok to do so, is quite often. I don't think I would bring a special pillow.

pcasebere
12-31-2011, 13:10
http://www.andersj.se/mygghuva1.htm

You might have to translate this, but it's multi-fucntional..

pcasebere
12-31-2011, 13:13
..I forgot to mention an empty water bag partially filled works nice too, if no extra clothes.

pafarmboy
12-31-2011, 13:55
Cocoon Ultra Light - mine weighs in at 3.6 ounces w/ sack. Well worth the weight IMO. BTW my base weight is 14 lb 6 oz., bout 27 lbs fully loaded w/ 5 days food/water, so I'm not ultra light, but I believe I've got the system down pretty well.

http://www.rei.com/product/766035/cocoon-ultralight-air-core-pillow?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-766035&mr:trackingCode=0F8B4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=COqJjsHvrK0CFUOo4AodBFaLmQ (http://www.rei.com/product/766035/cocoon-ultralight-air-core-pillow?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-766035&mr:trackingCode=0F8B4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=COqJjsHvrK0CFUOo4AodBFaLmQ)

shelterbuilder
12-31-2011, 14:01
...you know what makes a great pillow? A dog pack full of dry dog food!

Yeah, but the dog constantly licking my head kind of keeps me awake all night!:D

Bags4266
12-31-2011, 14:56
Winter or when I have alot of clothes its a stuff sack with clothes in the summer I usually don't have enough clothes to make a pillow, then I bring my Kooka Bay pillow weighs an ounce.

kevperro
12-31-2011, 15:31
I'm pretty weight conscious (base weight 12lbs with bear canister) and I carry a Exped inflatable which is 3oz. I used the clothing bag which tended to get pretty skimpy when it was cold out and my cloths where all on my body rather than in the bag. Used that method for 20 years so I have some experience with it. It is worth every ounce as I get older and greatly increases my nights rest. Guess I'm growing into an old wimp but I'll let the young wipper-snappers sleep without a pillow and save 3oz on their carry weight.

Tinker
12-31-2011, 17:07
The lightest pillow is no pillow at all. Use extra clothes you're already carrying in an extra stuff sack.

Agreed! A separate pillow violates two rules of ul hiking 1) Nothing you don't absolutely need, and, 2) Avoiding the proliferation of single use items.

If the nylon of the stuff sack is uncomfortable against your skin, stuff the stuffsack (filled with clothing) into a fleece vest or jacket, or into a clean poly undershirt.

In warm weather, use a water bladder, empty or full, your choice -air pillow or water pillow. On very warm nights you can fill it with cold water (if available) for a cheap-not-as-good-as air conditioner.

Edit - additional information: One of the big draws of hammocking in summer is that air flows all around you - there's nothing cooler short of trying to sleep in a pond or stream (not recommended due to possibility of accidental drowning). ;)

Painted Turtle
12-31-2011, 17:11
I do the same thing. Small pillow case.

I just take a pillow case with me and stuff my clothes into it. Works well.

JAK
12-31-2011, 17:58
Having the right hat reduces the need for a pillow somewhat, and allows a lighter sleeping bag also. I just picked up a new one today to tryout this winter. Standard Peruvian type with ear flaps, handknit locally using our british-type Briggs&Little wool. 4oz, but it's a nice large size, and fits my big head really well. Snug but not tight. You don't want to flatten your hair. I will knit a new neck tube to go with it, or make one from an old wool sweater. The rest of the pillowing, if any, I do under the blue foam pad, with duff or snow or whatever.

msupple
12-31-2011, 18:09
Cocoon Ultra Light - mine weighs in at 3.6 ounces w/ sack. Well worth the weight IMO. BTW my base weight is 14 lb 6 oz., bout 27 lbs fully loaded w/ 5 days food/water, so I'm not ultra light, but I believe I've got the system down pretty well.

http://www.rei.com/product/766035/cocoon-ultralight-air-core-pillow?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-766035&mr:trackingCode=0F8B4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=COqJjsHvrK0CFUOo4AodBFaLmQ (http://www.rei.com/product/766035/cocoon-ultralight-air-core-pillow?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-gpeLink-_-product-_-766035&mr:trackingCode=0F8B4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&{copy:s_kwcid}=&mr:adType=pla&gclid=COqJjsHvrK0CFUOo4AodBFaLmQ)

I also have one of these and love it. Takes up very little room in the pack and is reasonably light. I'm one of those who need a pillow to sleep. I tried a fleece pillow cover which works pretty well when I have extra clothes to put in it. Unfortunately I'm a cold sleeper and try not to bring many extra clothes. Consequently I sleep in most of my clothes, especially during cooler hikes. To me the Ultralight fit the bill.

One note on the Hyperlight vs the Ultralight. I found the Hyperlight was very noisy as both sides are nylon. The Ultrlight has fleece on one side....much much more quiet and comfortable although about another ounce heavier.

This works for me but I can't imagine any self subscribed ultra light weight hiker carrying one.

Grinder
01-01-2012, 11:31
Pillow and ultralightweight in the same sentence is an oxymoron

Ptenwal
01-04-2012, 17:38
Just picked one of these up to replace and older travel type pillow I carried. http://www.rei.com/product/797662/exped-air-pillow.
Exped Air Pillow packs down to a compact travel size of 2.2 x 4.7 in. I'll be pairing it with the therm-a-rest neoair for a "sleeping on air" feeling.

ljcsov
01-06-2012, 12:20
I noticed a jacket on TheClymb.com right now made by Merrell that packs down into a neck pillow. Its made of primaloft which means its very light but doesn't compress as much as down. Therefore, I'd think it would be a bit more firm than a squishy light down pillow.

Sassafras Lass
01-07-2012, 20:19
If you don't mind the weight penalty:

Thermarest Compressible Medium. 9 oz., crazy comfortable.

beaudetious
01-07-2012, 20:58
I tried the stuff sack full of leaves and I would not recommend it. It compresses easily ends up not being very comfortable.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 21:16
I tried the stuff sack full of leaves and I would not recommend it. It compresses easily ends up not being very comfortable.

Ticks love dry leaves on the ground (and those on bushes). I would not recommend it either.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 21:22

Best bet if you want something easy to use and lightweight that you won't need for other purposes while using it (in other words, single use, but very lightweight): http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/pillows/ultralite-pillow-case/product

I had to laugh at the "new for 2012" wording. I bought one exactly like it long ago (actually, I bought 2 - one about 8 years ago, another about 5 years ago, for my son to do a section in Maine with me).

BigRing
01-08-2012, 20:24
Buy a pair of kids water wings. Cut the wings, on the seam that holds them in a circle. When you finish cutting it, they should be two long air chambers. Blow them up and put them into a stuff sack......very comfortable.

Lyle
01-08-2012, 20:39
Your shoes make a fine pillow. Either by them self with the sleeping bag hood crunched up on them, or underneath a meager clothing bag as a foundation. If you are tired enough, a rock or log end would do.

Papa D
01-08-2012, 20:41
I just put my sweater or jacket in a stuff sack and use that - it makes a fine pillow.

KeyWest
01-09-2012, 00:33
Your clothes bag is the way to go as others have pointed out.

I used a waterproof stuff sack. I would add that if you don't have any clothes to stuff it with, you can partially inflate it with air and seal it.

ljcsov
01-09-2012, 00:57
Inspired by this thread, I just created a pillow case made out of fleece. Its about 14"x8" and includes velcro at the opening to allow easier closure. I am thinking it will work out well :)

Tinker
01-09-2012, 06:45
Inspired by this thread, I just created a pillow case made out of fleece. Its about 14"x8" and includes velcro at the opening to allow easier closure. I am thinking it will work out well :)

Does it look like this: http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/pillows/ultralite-pillow-case/product ? Is it lighter? It must be less expensive, at least.

ljcsov
01-09-2012, 10:05
Does it look like this: http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/pillows/ultralite-pillow-case/product ? Is it lighter? It must be less expensive, at least.

Mine opens on the end. I figured that would make it easier to put stuff into as opposed to sliding it into that slot thingy. Also, that looks to be polyester or something. Mine is softer and warmer since its fleece. I don't have a scale so I can't be sure of the weight. It seems like it weighs nothing!

kdholmwood
01-09-2012, 17:46
I wrap a compressed foam sleeping mat section - about 2' x 1' - around my boots, and put them in a stuff sack.

Tinker
01-10-2012, 13:52
Mine opens on the end. I figured that would make it easier to put stuff into as opposed to sliding it into that slot thingy. Also, that looks to be polyester or something. Mine is softer and warmer since its fleece. I don't have a scale so I can't be sure of the weight. It seems like it weighs nothing!

The Thermarest one is made of flocked (fleeced, if you will) nylon tricot. It's stretchy, and sometimes you don't want a warm pillow. You can adjust the warmth somewhat by the item(s) you put inside. In very warm weather you can pump (or treat) water directly from a cool stream into a water bladder and use it for a pilow to keep your head cool.