PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Section: Option from Davenport Gap to Fontana Dam nobo or sobo

P-Train
12-30-2011, 23:00
I have the option of the section hike to go nobo or sobo in July.

I was thinking of starting at Fontana Dam and going nobo.

Suggestions?

10-K
12-30-2011, 23:03
I hiked it the other way and the hike from Davenport Gap to Tri Corner Knob shelter is about 16ish miles of uphill but it's manageable. Coming out of Fontana Dam you've got a long climb too.

Honestly I don't think it matters which way you go as far as trail is concerned. Probably let your logistics (shuttle arrangements, etc.) be the deciding factor.

Chaco Taco
12-30-2011, 23:34
I hiked it the other way and the hike from Davenport Gap to Tri Corner Knob shelter is about 16ish miles of uphill but it's manageable. Coming out of Fontana Dam you've got a long climb too.

Honestly I don't think it matters which way you go as far as trail is concerned. Probably let your logistics (shuttle arrangements, etc.) be the deciding factor.

He right, its all the same. I like it NOBO. Newfound Gap is later in the hike by about a day and a half. Either way its fun

wornoutboots
12-31-2011, 00:52
Agreed!! It's a great hike either way, I section hikes NFG to Standing BEar then NFG to rhe NOC , both were great hikes!

bulldog49
12-31-2011, 15:19
Definitely go southbound. Much easier climb out of Davenport Gap than going up The Shuckstack from Fontana.

BlackCloud
01-02-2012, 15:48
The hike north from Fontana Dam is BRUTAL. I remember going DOWN it & thought it would never end. The only hike my knee ever grew sore on - I was about 20 at the time!

drdewrag
01-02-2012, 17:08
Very much agree with the bulldog and blackcloud! Northbound out of Fontana is :eek: !

P-Train
01-02-2012, 18:31
Great. Thanks!!