PDA

View Full Version : Knife or Multi Tool?

BoBo
12-31-2011, 10:07
I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool? I'm new to back packing and have been on two trips of about 30 miles each carrying both, rarely used knife and didn't use multi-tool. I'm thinking ditch the multi-tool but I'm still dealing with what if. What do you folks think? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks

wornoutboots
12-31-2011, 10:08
you'll only need a small knife.

Happy Hiking

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 10:11
I have never needed more than a tiny knife with maybe and inch and a half blade. But I carry a nifty small multi-tool knock off from cabelas because it's so cool to have:)

moldy
12-31-2011, 10:20
I carried the multi-tool but never used it. I now only carry a small 2 inch knife that has 2 blades one sharp and one is a flat tip screwdriver that can be used for prying. This knife is a US Navy issue TL-28 that was issued to me about 35 years ago.

endubyu
12-31-2011, 10:42
I'm the type that totes extra stuff. While I worked construction I had a multi-tool with me all of the time. I got used to that so I still carry one everywhere I go. I seldom use it on backpacking trips but it's nice to have when I do want it. It is extra weight but I suffer the weight to have it when I want/need it and would suffer not having it at that time. I also carry a VERY hefty Becker BK2. It weighs a full pound but I use it everyday, even on the AT! It comes down to personal preference, what you're comfortable with/without and whether carrying the extra weight is worth having it in a emergency. Also are you backpacking the AT or the Sipsey Wilderness? What you NEED for one will not be the same as for the other. Because you are new, I suggest you continue to carry both until you KNOW which YOU want to have, if either... Happy New Year!!!!

Summit
12-31-2011, 10:48
I carry a Leatherman Micra which has a small 1 1/2 inch knife blade, scissors, and other stuff. I pretty much only use the knife and scissors, which are great for cutting moleskin.

Tinker
12-31-2011, 10:49
Knife. Losing a multi-tool can be expensive, plus, most of the tools are "miniaturized" to the point of being useless.

Besides a knife, the only tool I've used on the trail is a sewing needle.

If you have gear which requires a wrench, you need to find new gear.

Back when we all carried external frame packs, it was pretty much a universal thing to carry a small pair of needle-nosed pliers with cutters and some baling wire in case the pack frame broke. They hardly ever did (mine never did), so we carried that extra few ounces for nothing, unless we used the wire for hanging things in shelters or on trees (a bad practice).

Mike2012
12-31-2011, 11:07
The bottle and can openers could come in handy also. I'm packing one.

Bat321
12-31-2011, 11:09
I only carry a small retractable razor blade knife. I buy them at the hardware store for $1. They have the razor blade that you can break the end section off of. Cheap and light.

RWheeler
12-31-2011, 11:24
I'll be bringing a multi-tool for the added benefit of being able to cut my nails with the scissors on it, as mine grow insanely fast.

Rain Man
12-31-2011, 11:28
I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool? ... Your opinion would be greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks

I've carried large and small knives, large and small multi-tools, and an assortment of other implements. What I found was that I almost never used any of them. I'm down to a small Gerber with plastic handle and approx 2" blade. Some hikes it never comes out of my pocket.

Rain Man

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 11:30
ive found i need no more than a single edge razor blade, but i still carry a swiss army knife as a security blanket, and ive found bears are deathly afraid of the corkscrew attachment.

rusty bumper
12-31-2011, 11:34
I carry a small Swiss Army pocket knife having one blade, scissors, nail file with screwdriver tip, tweezers and toothpick. I keep it in a ditty bag inside my pack, and rarely use it.

RWheeler
12-31-2011, 12:14
ive found i need no more than a single edge razor blade, but i still carry a swiss army knife as a security blanket, and ive found bears are deathly afraid of the corkscrew attachment.

Bears have some dark secrets (they hibernate because of hangovers), it just reminds them way too much of their decisions in life.

LIhikers
12-31-2011, 12:16
I gave up the multi-tool and now carry a small pocket knife. The same one I carry every day even when I'm not backpacking. The only other "tool" I carry is a nail clippers. No knife or scissors will cut my toe nails, which seem to grow much faster than usual when I'm hiking.

Spokes
12-31-2011, 12:21
Multi-tool= bad weight. You really only need a small knife like a Victorinox Classic.

Lyle
12-31-2011, 12:27
I carry a Leatherman Micra which has a small 1 1/2 inch knife blade, scissors, and other stuff. I pretty much only use the knife and scissors, which are great for cutting moleskin.

Exactly my reply. Nice and light and compact.

TJ aka Teej
12-31-2011, 12:46
I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool?
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Bobo.
If you can think of a use for the pliers, can and bottle opener, screwdrivers, etc. then bring it.

prain4u
12-31-2011, 12:55
I've carried large and small knives, large and small multi-tools, and an assortment of other implements. What I found was that I almost never used any of them. I'm down to a small Gerber with plastic handle and approx 2" blade. Some hikes it never comes out of my pocket.

Rain Man

The same is true for me. I have carried a wide assortment of knives and "multi-tools (of various sizes) over the past 30-40 years (both while hiking/camping and while serving in the military).

I find that I occasionally use the 1"-2" blade of a small knife (although sometimes I can go for a whole 1-2 week hiking trip and never use a knife even once). However, I don't know if I have EVER personally "needed" to use any of the gadgets/tools on the multi-tool. (I have used the pliers and scissors a couple times "because they were there"--but I could have survived without them.)

On the trail, I have "often" loaned my multi-tool to various folks--who have chosen to carry much heavier gear that has lots of screws, bolts, nuts, valves, grommets, gaskets etc. They needed my multi-tool to help repair their stuff. Ironically, they choose to carry 50-70 lbs of heavy and complex gear--which is also more prone to breakdown. Yet, they fail to carry a few ounce multi-tool to help them repair all of their stuff when it breaks down!

I still choose to carry a small multi-tool with me--even though I don't use anything other than the knife. (I know, call me "crazy"). My full gear load is somewhere between "lightweight" and "ultralight". However, when it comes to my gear, I still have trouble fully abandoning the philosophy of: "It's better to have it--and not need it. Than to need it--and not have it". Some habits are hard to break. I feel better prepared knowing that I have a small (lightweight) multi-tool with me "just in case". (For the record, I have never used my small first aid kit either. Yet, I still carry it with me!)

HT1
12-31-2011, 13:00
I had a Navy corpsman whip out a gerber and pull out a NASTY sliver I got one time. Then realizing what she had done, begged me to never tell... I had my fingers crossed:D

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 13:04
I've only carried a little Gerber LST (http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-LST-22-06009.htm) , 1.2 oz and a P-38 (G.I. can opener) (http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml) , 0.2 oz, for years. Given how many canned goods are now pull tab, that may well leave my cook kit as well. Some UL fanatics snarl at cans as being too heavy, but an empty tuna can really doesn't weigh much and you get all the good olive oil with your albacore that way too - the foil packs are much dryer. I also carry a little swiss card tool (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swisscard-Lite-Pocket-Tool/dp/B001Y7XVUE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1) , 0.9 oz, that has scissors, a file, mini knife, tweezers, pin, pen, and LED light in my first aid kit. It's admittedly rarely if ever used and could be left behind. It was a freebie - I wouldn't buy one at retail prices.

Rocket Jones
12-31-2011, 14:24
My last trip was the first time I'd left my mid-sized Swiss Army Knife home. I've carried it every day for 20 years, but finally got a Leatherman Micra. I really liked the Micra, but did miss the slightly longer length of the SAK blade. Realistically, it was a security blanket thing for me.

Odd Man Out
12-31-2011, 14:37
I have a SAK Tinker (two blades, can opener/small screwdriver, bottle opener/larger screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, reamer/drill, tweezers, toothpick. Probably a bit more than I need, but it is always in my pocket, so there is the emotional attachment to consider. The reamer is nice if you need to make an alcohol stove in the field. I also have fingernail clippers. I am prone to toenail infections, so I have to have the best tool possible for that. Also a sewing kit (needle/thread).

Spokes
12-31-2011, 16:00
Remember someone carried a Tuba while on a thru hike one year. I still can't figure out how he used it to slice summer sausage or block cheese. Crazy!

lemon b
12-31-2011, 16:16
I carry a Buck309 1.5 inches and a P-38 incase I need to open a can or pop a cap.

veteran
01-01-2012, 13:56
http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/wenger/images/WR16999.jpg

:D

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2012, 13:59
It's missing a thumb drive.

HiKen2011
01-01-2012, 14:11

Daddy like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

garlic08
01-01-2012, 15:31
Carry what you might need to repair any gear that might fail. Back in the day, I carried a multitool and used it to repair water filter, stove, pack frame, tent poles, etc. Now my hiking style is simpler and I longer carry a water filter, stove, pack frame, tent poles, etc. I now carry only a single edged razor blade and that suffices to open food packages, helps to repair fabric gear, cut line or cord, even minor surgery and major splinter removal. If I fly with my pack I prefer to carry it on, and it's easy to throw away the blade and buy a new one at any drugstore at my destination, five for a dollar usually.

Pathfinder1
01-01-2012, 16:49
Hi...

Why must you choose between the two? I carry a cell phone on my person, and a spare tire on my UTE. I almost never use either of them, but if they're needed, they sure come in handy.

Both the multitool and the knife have their advantages. When hiking/camping, especially when using my BOB only, I carry a pocket knife, a multi-tool, a sheath knife and a machette. Overkill? Not when I need them...!! The pocket knife is always with me anyway, so it's not "extra".

Unless you are an ultra-ultralight backpacker, I could not see any harm is carrying both items.

I routinely carry survival gear in my UTE, too. I may never need it...except when I need it...!!

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2012, 17:08
Hi...

Why must you choose between the two? I carry a cell phone on my person, and a spare tire on my UTE. I almost never use either of them, but if they're needed, they sure come in handy.

Both the multitool and the knife have their advantages. When hiking/camping, especially when using my BOB only, I carry a pocket knife, a multi-tool, a sheath knife and a machette. Overkill? Not when I need them...!! The pocket knife is always with me anyway, so it's not "extra".

Unless you are an ultra-ultralight backpacker, I could not see any harm is carrying both items.

I routinely carry survival gear in my UTE, too. I may never need it...except when I need it...!!By those standards, pretty much everyone here is a Hyperlight backpacker.

Hikes in Rain
01-01-2012, 17:14
SAK Recruit: Large and small blade (I keep the little one mostly unused for minor "surgery", such as opening up the entrance wound of that darned splinter so I can grab it), can and bottle opener blades with the screwdrivers (good the the occasional can, usually that someone else brings, without their can opener, and popping the top off that end of trail beer), toothpick (for which I have no idea what to use it for, since it's a lousy toothpick), and the ever useful tweezers. Occasionally wish it had a corkscrew, but then, we're roughing it, aren't we?

Used to also carry a really nice '70's era folding Gerber (still have it), but other than slicing sausage and cheese, and cutting up the odd little onion for the stew, all of which could be done with the SAK, it never got used. Looked cool, though!

Miner
01-01-2012, 17:14
Things I've used on a thru-hike.
- A knife; you need something for cutting cheese and opening food packaging; mine's 1.5inches and weighs 0.6oz.
- tweezers; splinters aren't that uncommon though a needle can work. I carried one I took out of a small swiss army knife (leave the rest home).
- nail clippers had them in a bounce box so I could trim my nails every 2 weeks. You could just chew them I guess. I had 1 nail tear between towns and borrowed clippers from another hiker to cut the rest off.
- screw driver. Used it to reform the metal sleeve on my Caldera Cone stove once. Borrowed it in town.
- a large sewing needle that was used to drain blisters and to sew 2 buttons back on my shirt.

BoBo
01-01-2012, 17:54
Thanks everyone for all your opinions and suggestions. Some I haven't even thought about. My multi-tool is 8 oz and after looking at some of the suggestion I should be able to drastically reduce that weight. Thanks Again

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2012, 19:47
This thread comes up over and over and the opinions are all over the place. How do we as a group work together to find the best "three" out of ???? to solve this? How do we cut the clutter and remove large knifes "greater than six inches" get rid of the razor blades" and the stupid survival knives (Bear Grills) Yea I did that deliberately to avoid search engines and the ridiculous Swiss that goes dull to fast. Its my opinion that a knife is not the problem - its the education that one can do with the knife to stay alive when you make compounding mistakes that send you asunder.

I will point out it needs to be light - I don't need a screw driver or a corkscrew... Unless I am in France. - Swiss suck - they cannot make a decent fuzz stick in the rain. The mini Swiss is nice for nails and feet but I have broken a few in the field. Razor blade? for what? I need a good answer - other than removing splinters. If you are hiking the AT - what do you need a Bowie for? Lets stop the fear. Lets get practical and narrow this down.

Come on folks - the repeating theme is all over the place.... lets get quality info that can build an article.

That's IMO.

garlic08
01-01-2012, 20:36
Ditto Miner's post on the needle, tweezers, and nail clippers. I carry them with my razor blade. I also carry a large safety pin. With all those individual and nearly weightless choices, I don't need a multitool.

This thread comes up over and over and the opinions are all over the place. How do we as a group work together to find the best "three" out of ???? to solve this?

I think that might prove as futile as agreeing on a recommendation on whether to use trekking poles or carry maps or a water filter. Even if 90% of successful thru hikers agreed a 1.5" single blade is all you need, there will be the 10% who swear you need something beefy enough to split oak kindling and sharp enough to make fuzz sticks in the rain and seriously believe that anything less is foolishly risky. And there may be one time in a hiker's life that they're right. Witness the seatbelt argument, which is hard to refute.

...Razor blade? for what? I need a good answer - other than removing splinters....

It's been said above: Opening food packages, cutting cord and fabric for gear repair. I've modified shoes, clothing, and packs with mine. If I were faced with having to do more major surgery or first aid, I'd rather have a new single edged razor blade than the typical trail knife. It's easy to carry a few spares. Other nice features are the cost, and the ability to throw it away when boarding a plane with your pack. Has anyone else ever lost a knife to TSA because you forgot it was in your pack?

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2012, 21:07
Garlic - ya kind of nailed it - might take a few more posts - but there we are a razor blade - a swiss nail clipper and one fixed locking blade of strong steel.

atmilkman
01-01-2012, 22:02
This thread comes up over and over and the opinions are all over the place. How do we as a group work together to find the best "three" out of ???? to solve this? How do we cut the clutter and remove large knifes "greater than six inches" get rid of the razor blades" and the stupid survival knives (Bear Grills) Yea I did that deliberately to avoid search engines and the ridiculous Swiss that goes dull to fast. Its my opinion that a knife is not the problem - its the education that one can do with the knife to stay alive when you make compounding mistakes that send you asunder.

I will point out it needs to be light - I don't need a screw driver or a corkscrew... Unless I am in France. - Swiss suck - they cannot make a decent fuzz stick in the rain. The mini Swiss is nice for nails and feet but I have broken a few in the field. Razor blade? for what? I need a good answer - other than removing splinters. If you are hiking the AT - what do you need a Bowie for? Lets stop the fear. Lets get practical and narrow this down.

Come on folks - the repeating theme is all over the place.... lets get quality info that can build an article.

That's IMO.
Owl I just gotta throw a "wrench" in your post. Here's what I have been carrying for a while. It's been working for me. http://www.slipnsnip.com/

Blissful
01-01-2012, 22:28
small swiss army with basics (knife, scissors, tweezers)

SunnyWalker
01-02-2012, 01:33
I would love to carry a big hunting knife or a multi-tool as it is part of my dream. However, weight IS the issue and from experience I know I will never use the multi-tool. So i stick with a simple neck knife. This IS an issue that keeps coming up all the time. To each his own. the thought of taking a Multi-tool on a hike appeals to me cuz it's "cool". However, I will never make it through the thru hike if I don't cut down on the weight.

SwitchbackVT
01-02-2012, 02:10
Whatever gets the job done, gives you peace of mind, and doesn't break your back.

I like the Leatherman Squirt PS4. Weighs only 2 ounces! I think it cost me $20.
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_PS4

Scissors: trim toenails
Pliers: tick removal, splinters
Screwdriver: my trekking poles have phillips head screws, never had to tighten them but I had it covered.
Knife: intimidation for bears

http://www.leatherman.com/images/products/L_PS4_Open_blue.jpg

SwitchbackVT
01-02-2012, 02:11
Wow that image came out huge...my bad

Rocket Jones
01-02-2012, 11:44
I was looking at the Squirt S4, which had the main tool as scissors instead of pliers. I think the Micra replaced it.

hikerboy57
01-02-2012, 11:47

:Dwhat?11?1 no rubber mallet or hatchet attachment? useless.

Toolshed
01-02-2012, 11:51
Seasonal for me.
3 Season - I carry a Swiss Army Knife with toothpick, screwdrivers and small saw - Camper I think.
Winter - I carry a Multi-tool and a an old SS bike spoke for repairing snowshoes, XC-Ski bindings...
(I think Tinker mentioned carrying this stuff for old external frame packs).

BigRing
01-02-2012, 20:15
I carry a lightweight knockoff multi tool and a single lock blade knife, but only because I carry a 5 piece flyrod if I am going to be near water. Otherwise, I carry the knife and a nail clipper.

Tenderheart
01-03-2012, 12:53
I would like your opinion on what to carry, basic knife or multi-tool? I'm new to back packing and have been on two trips of about 30 miles each carrying both, rarely used knife and didn't use multi-tool. I'm thinking ditch the multi-tool but I'm still dealing with what if. What do you folks think? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks

Leave both at home. There is nothing to cut. I carried a small Spyderco on my thru, but sent it home in PA. Never missed it. A multi-tool may be a good thing for your car's glove box.

Tenderheart
01-03-2012, 12:58
Remember someone carried a Tuba while on a thru hike one year. I still can't figure out how he used it to slice summer sausage or block cheese. Crazy!

Oh, that's easy. He serenaded, while others cut his sausage and cheese. Ran into him in Glencliff in 2000. Nice guy and very talented.

Pathfinder1
01-03-2012, 14:28
By those standards, pretty much everyone here is a Hyperlight backpacker.

Hi...

Thanks for the reply.

I think I see what you mean. My BOB, without food, only weighs seven pounds, and is used for a different purpose than strictly trail hiking. Whereas on the Trail, you are usually hiking with more gear, thereby needing to lessen its weight as much as possible.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Chop
01-03-2012, 14:44
Small knife or box cutter... After my thru this year, I will be now switching to a box cutter so I can find and change blades easily. Never had a need for a multi tool for the entire walk...but my knife blade went dull.