PDA

View Full Version : Mayakka River State PArk

gwb
12-31-2011, 12:18
I'm coming to Florida next week and I am planning a day hike in the Myakka River Park. Any locals have any suggestions, tips? I was thinking of starting at the Northern Trail head and hiking clockwise. Looking to do about 15 miles or so, maybe a little more... I'll be solo so I was trying to determine my route so I can leave it with my wife. Is the canopy walk worth the visist? I prefer quiet trails but the cat walk/tower looks interesting. I am used to hiking in the Northeast so I assume I can crank out some miles with a elavation change of 10 feet. (last weekend's hike was 12 miles with total vertical change of 4900 ft). Am I underestimating anything here? Thanks in advance for any tips....

just dad
12-31-2011, 20:44
Call the ranger station and ask them what trails have had the weeds trimmed. I walked part of the loop trail in early November and the weeds were up to my arm pits. That was no fun. I think I was a few weeks early and you should be fine by now, but call to make sure. The 35 mile loop trail intersects a lot of other trails and roads so if you hike the section closest to the park entrance you have some options as to how far to go. Another condition that may slow you down is that in some areas the wild hogs have torn up the treadway. Finally, some of the trails have sandy treadway, so your progress wont always be the same as a flat hardpacked trail. But the hiking is way easier than your 4900 feet of vertical change and I'd think that you could do 15 miles without any problem. When you enter the park they give you a simple (photo copy quality) map. You can buy a full color large map for a couple dollars, which is worth it.

The canapy walk won't take you very long. It is only a few minutes from the parking area. It is definitely worth the visit. If you are staying in the park, you can also do the canapy walk after dark for a totally different experience.

By the way, cell phone service in park is spotty. Sometimes I can get a call out (Verizon), sometimes I can't.

atmilkman
12-31-2011, 23:16
Can't really help you too much on trail info because last time I/we hiked Myakka we did a linear in and out. We didn't have a map or nothing just took off down some trail, hiked for 4 hours, turned around and came back. I can tell you that your gonna love Myakka. We got overrun and surrounded by wild pigs, about 40 of them a few momma's and a bunch of babies. They were harmless except to the trail as mentioned above. Still, pretty cool. This was in a Feb. forget what year. The place was pretty much under water. Rangers let us stay in a cabin anyway. Had to park out by the road and wade in better than knee deep water to get to the cabin. Out back the grill looked like it was floating. Still, pretty cool. Had to wade in better than waist deep water to get to the observation deck on the lake. Thousands and thousands of birds. Just amazing. While hiking,a marsh hawk let us get within 10 feet of him, no kiidding 10 feet, while he shredded a snake and devoured it. Now that was really cool, one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Speaking of snakes, you gotta watch for them. I got nailed by a pigmy rattler in the side of my calf. I just squeezed the hell out of it and had a headache for about an hour, but I've been bit before. Still, pretty cool. You are really gonna love Myakka. Get up early before they open the gates. You'll be amazed at the wildlife.

chiefiepoo
01-01-2012, 00:03
Be thinking about alligators as you walk. It has not been too chill down here yet ,as the American alligator goes dormant only in very cold weather, you can expect to encounter a few. Myaka is just lousy with the critters. If it is cold, they might be retiring to their "holes" but they will still be there. Awake, just a little slow. Walking in the water covering trails is a sometimes necessity in wet years. I'm 40 miles n and it has been rather dry this fall. I had a hiking group there many years ago. Walking in knee deep water, we did encounter the occasional gator swimming along the trail but they didn't seem interested in us.

chiefiepoo
01-01-2012, 00:27
14713Be sure to check the rest room too.

Hoop
01-01-2012, 09:47
He left the toilet seat up.

Myakka Mules
01-01-2012, 11:27
How cool to see our Myakka State Park on Whiteblaze... My wife and I are Trailmasters for 20 miles of the 38 miles of hiking trails in the park. All of the trails have been mowed and some have been brushcut. Myakka has 4 loop trails (orange Blaze) that are connected by crosstrails (Blue Blaze) Each loop is about 10 miles. Do spend the money for the color map of the trails. The park is dry and there should be no problem with water on the trail. Don't worry about the gators, they will not bother you... Do bring plenty of drinking water as they have pulled a couple of the well pumps that provided water for the hikers. If you come across a workparty clearing trails ask for us as we will be doing trail work out there next weekend on Saturday and would love to say hi!

WingedMonkey
01-01-2012, 12:34
Do bring plenty of drinking water as they have pulled a couple of the well pumps that provided water for the hikers.

Was waiting for you to chirp in. Thanks for some of the best trail in the state (and some of the best canoeing). Is the pump removal a temporary thing or permanent? Made the primitive camping more enjoyable.

gwb, be aware that the campground areas will be full to the gills in January with RV's and the air-boat tour crowd crowd. Visit the rest of the park, it's beautiful, but after you get a glimpse of the historical stuff...hit the trails.
Might want to spend one day doing the bird-watching gator chasing tourist stuff and one day in the woods.

gwb
01-01-2012, 14:01
Thank you for the replies... Maybe I'll see you out there Myakka Mules, going on the 7th. Not going for the tourist stuff... Just a day in the outdoors. A change of pace from my Northeast hiking.
Are the mileages listed on the map from the website acurate? Thinking of heading north from Trailhead. Past Mossy Hammock. South to Bee Island Crosstrail and then back to the trailhead. Originaly I thinking of going further south past the Old Railroad Grade. East to Honore then head North back to the trailhead. Thoughts? Oh ya.... Can I come in before 8am?

Myakka Mules
01-01-2012, 20:21
The mileages are pretty acurate. We are battling with the county over the well pumps, hopefully they will allow them back but not at this time.The loop you are planning is a great one. You will be in Hammock for the first part, after leaving Mossy campground you will cross the prairie and through pine flatwoods to bee Island campground. From there it is a mixed bag for the remainder... As for getting in before 8 I would call the park and explain what you want to do, you may be able to pay for a primitive campsite for one night and get a gate code that will allow you in at any time. Keep in mind you don't have to camp to get a site..... I will send you a PM and give you my number in case you have any questions or any trouble...

ChinMusic
01-01-2012, 22:38
I did a loop like that a couple years ago in March. One suggestion: Bring your own water and DO NOT get it from the pumps. The water may be safe but it is the worst tasting stuff I have ever had the displeasure of drinking. Amazingly strong, sickening sulfer taste.