PDA

View Full Version : Eureka Spitfire

Bostonbcprs
12-31-2011, 20:23
Has anyone used this tent? If So, whats the pros/cons? Thanks

vamelungeon
12-31-2011, 21:32
I have one, I love it. I haven't thu hiked but I've spent quite a few nights in mine and have no complaints. The only trouble you might encounter is if you care what others think and run into someone who believes you have to pay big bucks to get a decent shelter. I don't care, and mine has been trouble free. I can't say how durable it's going to be in the long run because I only bought it last year.

Rocket Jones
12-31-2011, 23:41
Do a search here on WB for Spitfire. It's been discussed recently. IIRC, overall opinion seems to be generally favorable.

Wil
01-01-2012, 01:34
Has anyone used this tent? If So, whats the pros/cons? ThanksI have the ultralight version which I picked up on a closeout very cheap. It has pleasantly surprised me, other than the weight (and the non-ultralight is maybe 10 oz. heavier). Very easy and quick to set up, doesn't need hiking poles. It has a relatively shallow bathtub floor and needs some fine-tuning after basic setup to keep the edge walls as high and taut as possible in case you have ground water or rain splash. Reasonably roomy for an average individual and a bit of gear. Tiny vestibule area but useful for boots, etc. A very nice value and not prohibitively weighty for most users.

mikec
01-01-2012, 10:01
The Eureka Spitfire not free standing. There may be situations where this could be an issue. That's why I alternate between a Eureka Backcountry 1 and a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 (though I would really like to have the Copper Spur UL 1).

Captain_Slo
01-01-2012, 10:04
I have both the back country 1 and the spitfire. The backcountry 1 is 1lb heavier than the spitfire and doesn't add much in the way of space or comfort (besides being freestanding). I'm a small person so I find the spitfire roomy and weight is a major concern for me. I prefer the spitfire.

yappy
01-01-2012, 10:07
Moose jaw is selling marmot EOS for 175 looks like a great barebones tent check it out

Rocket Jones
01-01-2012, 11:20
I've never *had* to set up my tent in freestanding mode. I think that the capability is overrated.

daddytwosticks
01-01-2012, 13:27
Do a search. This tent has been talked about often. I love mine. Cheap, light, durable, and easy to set-up. :)

blackbird04217
01-01-2012, 13:48
I used the Spitfire during my thru in 2009, it held up great through whatever the weather threw it's way. The worst it treated me was when I had no option but setup in a pouring downfall of a lake, I stayed under a tree trying to wait it out, but was losing daylight. Didn't have a choice, or chance of staying dry. But I did manage to get the tub dried using my shamwow cloth.

That said, the situation above is usually avoided completely. I had no issues with the tent being non-freestanding, even on the wooden tent platforms [why!] I just tied my boots to it or used rocks nearby. Setup/tear-down is a very easy, 5 minute task. Maybe less. Rain can splatter dirt/mud up under the fly and onto the screen, I didn't find this to be a huge let down, but if I could find a flaw, this would be it. I rarely suffered from _any_ condensation problems. When I did it was more due to location, large open field, than breathing.

Great for the money. Like anything treat it right and it will last.

Chaco Taco
01-01-2012, 14:43
Worst tent I have ever owned. Woke up with a wet sleeping bag foot box every am. Didn't handle well in the wind. Just my opinion but you really do get what you pay for when it comes to buying tents. Id rather sleep under a tarp on a piece of tyvek.

TJ aka Teej
01-01-2012, 15:02
Woke up with a wet sleeping bag foot box every am.

I had the same experience. The rain fly leaves about a 2" space uncovered all around the foot of the tent, and your sleeping bag is in contact with the pointed end of the tent wall. I "solved" this by pulling a garbage bag up over the bottom of my bag and pad. If you hike in a place where it never rains, it's a nice tent.

TOMP
01-01-2012, 18:00
Pros- lightweight, inexpensive, can pitch it in a very small area, easy to assemble.

Cons- too small for me (im 6.1) I need alittle more room but I can fit. Also your definately spooning with your pack. Poor wind protection.

For me this meant moving on to the MSR skinny one solo tent (no longer in production). Still lightweight but better wind protection and tons more room.

Bostonbcprs
01-01-2012, 18:18
i'm only about 5'7 so room is not an issue for me. Thanks for the info guys

lemon b
01-01-2012, 18:41
Got a spitfire for the kid last minute. Gotta be careful with the pole cause they break. The new backcountry is a good tent, The older one is a pain in the ass because of the rope needed to set one up in windy rainy weather. Plus the underneath part in bothe the old and new is kinda thin, not in wetness but in warmth. In conclusion new backcountry is a good tent, Spitfires are useless and no experienced hiker would even bother.

vamelungeon
01-01-2012, 19:19
Got a spitfire for the kid last minute. Gotta be careful with the pole cause they break. The new backcountry is a good tent, The older one is a pain in the ass because of the rope needed to set one up in windy rainy weather. Plus the underneath part in bothe the old and new is kinda thin, not in wetness but in warmth. In conclusion new backcountry is a good tent, Spitfires are useless and no experienced hiker would even bother.
Hyperbole is best!
"Useless" even though one of the people who replied said he used it on his thru? "No experienced hiker would even bother"??? LOL Riiiggghhhttt...

blackbird04217
01-01-2012, 20:04
I will admit I felt the poles were a bit flimsy. When I first got the tent and set it up in my apartment I was expecting to break one during that first setup, but it was designed to have a "spring" like effect.

There is no room for your backpack and stuff, but I usually set that near a tree. You can bring the pack inside, but as TOMP said, you would be spooning with it all night long.

TJ - I never had an issue with the fly not covering the foot end, or head end for that matter. As I mentioned there was a bit of splash that could get up under the fly. I can't say I never got wet inside but I can say most, if not all, of those times were my own fault.

It should be noted I am 5'8", and kept my sleeping bag, and everything else, away from the edges of the tent. I had enough space to stretch out with my hand into the very peak of the front, sitting up was no problem. I took care when rolling, usually to stay on my mat. I guess other people have had different experiences with the Spitfire than I have, it happens, but the end result is I would take it again on another thru-hike, absolutely. Inexpensive, fairly light, and it held up.

Wil
01-02-2012, 15:27
Spitfires are useless and no experienced hiker would even bother.I certainly agree that they are more vulnerable than some others to careless setup. If conditions are good, light or moderate rain and no water pooling, you can set it up quick & dirty. To guard against splash and foot condensation you have to fine tune: get those bathub sides firmly up and the pitch taut.

The pole is pre-stressed and seems to me it would take a very concerted effort to break it.

As far as room: my gear all fits inside. It's mostly all used, for padding, pillow, etc. The pack, when empty, is just a bit of cloth and it supplements my short sleeping pad, going under my feet. But a rigid frame pack is going to wind up as an intrusive sleeping companion and f you're much over 5/11 this tent is just too small.

I am fond of this tent (the ultralight version) as a value. I used it a lot when it was new in (what turned out to be) very bad conditions and was pleasantly surprised. I've kept it on for the use of others in group trips. There are lots better, lighter tents, a couple of which I now own; but it's decent and at the going price (if you can find one) a great value.