PDA

View Full Version : Will guidebooks do?

thepokerkid227
01-01-2012, 01:40
Will a new updated data book and thru-hikers companion suffice or should I go with the whole map/guidebook set?

leaftye
01-01-2012, 01:50
I suppose it depends on how you want to hike and what you want to get out of those materials, no? I mean, if you really wanted to, I'm sure you could make it the whole way just by asking other hikers about things or looking at their materials.

thepokerkid227
01-01-2012, 01:51
Can the maps be bought along the way at stores in town?

Slacks
01-01-2012, 02:11
Hey I see that you are a 23 year old thru planner, like me. I started playing poker just before the boom and played a lot online during college. We should keep in touch and share planning strategies for the coming months. Either way, good luck!

We also have one other thing in common, we both are clearly trying to save up our cash right now. Happy New Year!

buff_jeff
01-01-2012, 10:04
Yes, any of the data books will suffice. I don't know why you'd go with the data book AND the Companion, though. Personally, just the Companion is enough. I've also heard good things about AWOL's "The AT Guide."

With that said, others here have accurately noted that "you don't need maps until you need them." You never know when you'll want or need bailout options, or when you accidentally end up on a side trail. It's also really nice to see what's around you. I'm kind of a map dork so I enjoyed having the maps, but there were a few, several-hundred mile sections I did with just the Companion.

Totally up to you. Maps are definitely expensive and the trail can be done with any of the guidebooks.

Senor Jalapeno
01-01-2012, 10:34
You can get away with neither. That said, its always nice to know some stuff without having to always ask someone what's there. I find the maps overkill and not worth the weight. Also, I started with the data book AND companion last year, and ended up just using the data book for starting fires. The data book doesn't really tell you anything about the towns your gonna need to stop in. The companion is nice. I prefer AWOL's AT guide (picked up in hot springs) AWOL'S guide has everything you need to know, in a nice and easy to use format. But if you think you might get frustrated from seeing the elevation profile (which can be misleading from time to time) everyday, id go with just the companion. Either way, alls you need is the companion OR the AWOL's AT Guide.

Papa D
01-01-2012, 11:14
You don't need any maps - they are fun - your really don't have to have any guidebook but I would strongly recommend either the Thru-Hikers Companion or the AT Data Book - both are published each year by the ATC - you could also probably get away with a book that is a couple of years old -- the Data Book goes right in a zip-lock and you can carry the whole thing - info is pretty Spartan - I personally prefer the Thru Hikers Companion - when you get one, tear it into (about 4ths or 5ths) -obviously you don't need the PA pages when you are hiking in NC but you might want to look as far ahead as VA for planning - don't do a bunch of mail drops but DO drop yourself the next sections of the book - The Companion also has good detail on each shelter, where the water source is, etc.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2012, 11:19
Will a new updated data book and thru-hikers companion suffice yes.........

Rain Man
01-01-2012, 11:27
Totally up to you. Maps are definitely expensive and the trail can be done with any of the guidebooks.

Beware the canary in a coal mind. If the maps are too expensive for someone to thru-hike, then they may not have enough money to do a thru-hike anyway.

Rain Man

Papa D
01-01-2012, 11:31
I happen to have the whole map set in my (vast) collection of backpacking stuff (my basement is really more comprehensive than most outfitters) and they are fun for referencing stuff so I can wax eloquent on whiteblaze -- I'd say, 20 years or so ago, the maps were (maybe) more important - - navigation on the AT is really nearly idiot proof - - what you NEED to know is how far to the next / previous shelter/road from a particular landmark (like another shelter or road) - Companion Pages are perfect for this.

Don H
01-01-2012, 12:02
I didn't carry maps, i used AWOL's book.

shades of blue
01-01-2012, 12:15
Maps help you if you get in trouble....hurt and need an alternate trail off the AT, or if someone else gets hurt. Also, it's helpful if you run into bad weather and need to find an different route.

rusty bumper
01-01-2012, 12:23
I used AWOL's guidebook with no maps and found that totally adequate until I got to Maine and hurricane Irene came through. At that point I sure wish I'd had some maps to identify road-walks to get around the streams that were totally impassable. Fortunately when I was in Caratunk, I was able to look at maps to help with one tough crossing that I knew was ahead, but for another I just lucked out and got some walk-around directions from a passing motorist. If I ever get up in Maine again, I'll definitely bring AWOL's guide and maps since footbridges over streams are almost non-existent in that state. I don't think the maps would be necessary for any other state.

thepokerkid227
01-01-2012, 14:48
I just ordered AWOL's 2012 NOBO edition and I plan to also pick up some maps due to the feedback on here, I personally didnt think they would necessary but the consensus seems to be leaning towards to get them.

Thanks

Don H
01-01-2012, 14:53
Agree with rusty. And he did some of the trail by helicopter!

Papa D
01-01-2012, 14:54
I really wouldn't buy the map sets because you "need them" -- you really don't -- AWOLs book or companion pages will work fine -- if you really decide you want maps along the way here are some places in the first 500 miles you could get maps: Neels Gap, NOC, Outfitter in Hot Springs, Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus ..... just to name a few (there are a bunch more). The ATC is obviously the best source for "entire map sets" but like I said, you really don't NEED them.

thepokerkid227
01-01-2012, 16:12
I have someone willing to lend me some older maps, will maps ranging from 2000-2007 do or should I get newer ones?

Stir Fry
01-01-2012, 16:22
I got a set of maps up to Harpers Ferry. Used them the first couple of trips I went on, but in the last three years all I have used in The A T Guide. I would like to see some maps printed on the same stuff AWOL uses on the little pocket maps. Map on one side elevation profile on the other.

Mountain Mike
01-01-2012, 17:10
Older maps shoud suffice with new companion book. Some new relos & shelters but companion will mention the shelters. Full guideboks are a waste. To much no relevant history, turn by turn direction, & what need for a hike info.

juma
01-02-2012, 18:16
The AT trail is printed on the state hiway maps of the states it runs through. These are free for the asking by email -- the states will mail them to your address. These are good enough to let you know where you are and such.

garlic08
01-02-2012, 20:05
The AT trail is printed on the state hiway maps of the states it runs through. These are free for the asking by email -- the states will mail them to your address. These are good enough to let you know where you are and such.

That's a good idea. I used AAA road maps for that reason, because I had a friend who was a member and was willing to get the maps for me. I didn't need any other maps, just one of the guidebooks. It was nice to have the guidebook for resupply and water source planning.

thepokerkid227
01-02-2012, 20:27
Are the full set of pocket profiles of AT maps from the AWOL store any good?

bamboo bob
01-02-2012, 20:28
If you carry everything that "might" be useful you are going to have a very heavy pack.

thepokerkid227
01-02-2012, 20:45
If you carry everything that "might" be useful you are going to have a very heavy pack.

According to AWOL's site the full set of the maps only weighs 4oz

Northern Lights
01-02-2012, 21:41
According to AWOL's site the full set of the maps only weighs 4oz

The pocket profiles weigh 4 oz, I don't think it is complete map. I'll let you know when I get mine in the mail :D

rusty bumper
01-03-2012, 10:27
I bought 2 copies of AWOL's guide for my hike. A bound version that my wife used at home while I was hiking, and a looseleaf version that I used. I only carried 500 miles worth of the guide at a time and tossed each page (in town) after I completed those miles. I also highlighted the AT on the appropriate state maps in my Rand McNally road atlas, scanned those pages, and stored them as jpegs on my cell phone. I did that in case I ever needed to get off the trail and into town for any unplanned reason. I found that I also looked at those maps once in a while just to get a feel for where I was in the grand scheme of things!

Jeff
01-03-2012, 11:14
Maps were useful to me...and quite a few hikers were always asking to look at mine.

peakbagger
01-03-2012, 13:41
I recommend a guidebook and a map set but leave the guides included with the maps at home or read them before hand. If you need to bail in an emergency a map will point you in the right direction of civilization, it also comes in handy when you have to do a detour due to trail conditions. More than a few folks have neede that option in Maine when the rivers are running high.

Northern Lights
01-09-2012, 14:32
The pocket profiles weigh 4 oz, I don't think it is complete map. I'll let you know when I get mine in the mail :D

Recieved my pocket profile maps in the mail today. I like them! With these I think all you would need to add is Awol's A.T Guide and you would be set.

SCRUB HIKER
01-09-2012, 20:13
This gets talked about all the time, on the forum and on the trail, but here's what I saw and did:

Last year, I did not see many people carrying maps. I'd estimate the percentage at 20 or below (even lower with the young crowd, which is naturally where I spent more of my time). I started out with maps but ditched them when I realized I wasn't using them at all because I also had the AWOL guide (purchased looseleaf, mailed to myself in sections). On the suggestion of Baltimore Jack when I ran into him in Harpers Ferry, I had the Maine maps mailed to me in Gorham, because a) they're extremely well-made and informative--the elevation profiles are more accurate than AWOL's, and b) Maine is wilder and more remote than the rest of the AT and the chances of getting into a tight situation with an unfordable river or some sudden emergency are higher, ergo it helps to have a map in addition to a guidebook in those cases.

thepokerkid227
01-15-2012, 13:02
Where can I buy just the Maps without the guidebook(s)?

Plodderman
01-15-2012, 15:26
Have hiked both ways but prefer the data book with only the pages I need for that hike.

RETCW4
01-16-2012, 09:45
Where can I buy just the Maps without the guidebook(s)?

Appalachian Trail Conservancy sells a complete set of maps. If you're a member, you get a discount. I bought mine last year. I'm a map person adn combine that with the AT Guide.

Tumbleweed