PDA

View Full Version : Safe deposit bag

steve hiker
03-11-2005, 02:38
I have a top-of-the line Western Mountaineering bag, rated to zero. It'll be too warm to use it soon, and am reluctant to store it in my house until next winter. If a thief came in and saw it, I could lose a valuable investment. So, I'm thinking of storing it in a safe deposit box over the summer.

It stuffs small enough to fit in an 8x20 box at the bank, but I'm concerned about a few things. Like condensation. Could moisture in the safe area get to it? Moisture tends to condense on cold metal surfaces easily. Also, my bank is in an older building and there have been problems with black mold in several older buildings in town. Should I be concerned?

bogey
03-11-2005, 04:29
I'd also be concerned with storing it that compressed for that long. Might lose it's loft.

MedicineMan
03-11-2005, 05:55
down is remarkable and it is a spring and most springs dont wear out until they are sprung over and over and over again.....my experience is that it will take years of being stored compressed before you would notice a difference.....but there is a more realistic view concerning your situation, no average thief knows or cares what a Western Mountaineering bag is...only a hiker/backpacker would know the difference between a WM bag and a coleman-your typical street thug/rapper type needing dope money is not going to grab your sleeping bag when a DVD player is in the room, if any one is going to steal it, it will be one of your buddies who is not realy your bud....
i've got a North Face Chamois that is 30+ years old, the loft has diminished but it is still a functional bag to 20F...
my .02

RockyTrail
03-11-2005, 10:11
I can see the perplexed look on that bank manager now, watching you stuff the bag into the little box in the vault! :) hee hee!

Go to a flea market and buy some broken stereo gear. Stack it up near your back door as bait, when the burglar hits he'll be so busy carrying off all that junk he won't even get close to your backpacking gear.

flyfisher
03-11-2005, 10:35
You could stuff it in an urn and put it on your mantle...

Seriously, It is probably safe enough over a hanger in your closet, or ship it to a family member.

Peaks
03-11-2005, 10:45
A good sleeping bag is valuable only to another backpacker. I suspect that it's a hard item to fence. Just leave it hanging up. I wouldn't leave it compressesed. No one recommends long term storage compressed.

steve hiker
03-11-2005, 16:16
A good sleeping bag is valuable only to another backpacker. I suspect that it's a hard item to fence. Just leave it hanging up.
If you were a thief type, and you saw a bag like that all lofted up with that microfiber shell, quality stiching and cozy hood just inviting you to crawl inside, wouldn't you grab it?

Mags
03-11-2005, 16:27
If you were a thief type, and you saw a bag like that all lofted up with that microfiber shell, quality stiching and cozy hood just inviting you to crawl inside, wouldn't you grab it?

If I was the thief type, I probably would not be the backpacker type. :)

Seriously, a thief sees a sleeping bag he is just going to assume it is just a $40 WallieWorld bag. Nylon? Down? Hollofill? Do you think Joe Thief knows or cares about the difference?

Joe Thief wants a DVD player, your computer, or TV. Something quick to grab and sell.

If you really want to be safe ask a friend to hold it. Heck, I'm sure a few of us Whiteblazers would be willing to store it fot you if you are really set to keep it somwhere safe.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-12-2005, 18:03
I have a top-of-the line Western Mountaineering bag, rated to zero. It'll be too warm to use it soon, and am reluctant to store it in my house until next winter. If a thief came in and saw it, I could lose a valuable investment. So, I'm thinking of storing it in a safe deposit box over the summer.

It stuffs small enough to fit in an 8x20 box at the bank, but I'm concerned about a few things. Like condensation. Could moisture in the safe area get to it? Moisture tends to condense on cold metal surfaces easily. Also, my bank is in an older building and there have been problems with black mold in several older
buildings in town. Should I be concerned?
Good to see that you don't let little things keep you up at night worrying.

wd40
03-12-2005, 21:26
Don't know if a thief may take it or not, but the way some of these street thugs dress they look like they're wearing a sleeping bag with ballcaps and athletic shoes, LOL. Anyway, like Mags suggested, why not have a friend or family member store it for you and they can air it out every month or so for ya.

Panzer1
03-12-2005, 21:29
I would not store a sleeping bag compressed. I would store it uncompressed and in large a breathable cardboard box. And put it in a linen closet or similar place where you keep your other close. If you are going to store it for a long time it might be a good idea to wash it first.

If thieves did break into your place, it would not be on the top of their list of things to steal, but still if there was nothing better in your place to take, they might just take your bag. I think it would be best to take it to a relative's house who would know how to take care of it.

Panzer

Toolshed
03-12-2005, 23:14
since you brought it up, here's my 2 cents
I'm thinking here that perhaps you should quit worrying about the bag and perhaps be a bit more concerned about either finding a place where you need not worry about break-ins, or shore up your line of defenses.

steve hiker
03-13-2005, 04:46
I think if you stuff it in a safe deposit box you should take it out a couple times a month at the bank and excercise it so the loft dosn't devolop gangrene.