ranger shot and killed today :-(

http://news.yahoo.com/gunman-loose-national-park-fatal-shooting-000200462.html

CrumbSnatcher
01-01-2012, 21:24
Mount Rainier National Park

Sly
01-01-2012, 21:46
Mount Rainier National Park

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Park-ranger-fatally-shot-near-Mt-Rainier-2435973.php (http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Park-ranger-fatally-shot-near-Mt-Rainier-2435973.php)

CrumbSnatcher
01-01-2012, 21:58
sorry for screwing up the title on my thread starter,just wanted to get the word out
seems some hikers might be out there, unaware of the situation
please fix my title if possible

Sly
01-01-2012, 22:18
sorry for screwing up the title on my thread starter, just wanted to get the word out
seems some hikers might be out there, unaware of the situation
please fix my title if possible

Yup, fixed it, although I think you could have since you're a donating member, in advanced mode.

Here's what I don't get...

Authorities said earlier that Anderson's body had been removed from the park, but Troyer said police have been unable to get to her.

CrumbSnatcher
01-01-2012, 22:23
Yup, fixed it, although I think you could have since you're a donating member, in advanced mode.

having the ability and the know how are two different ball games
my condolences to the family

CrumbSnatcher
01-01-2012, 22:23
thanks SLY
happy new year

double d
01-01-2012, 22:26
I'm at a National Park myself now and I can't believe this hapened. Our NPS is one of the great aspects of American life, I"m very sorry to read about his fine, young women getting murdered. My thoughts are with her family, as I believe her husband is NPS police officer as well.

Feral Bill
01-01-2012, 23:06
I have worked in several national parks, and hiked in Mt Rainier. The staff there was probably the most helpful and professional I have seen. My condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues.

Rocket Jones
01-01-2012, 23:25
From the reports I've seen, it sounds like a nut looking for trouble. She happened to be the one who ran into him. My condolences as well, this is tragic.

rocketsocks
01-02-2012, 00:25
:mad:What a damn shame.This story ain't over folks,and while it does end with the shooter gettin sniped IMO,he's not walk'in off that mt.And rightly so.They should give the guy to the husband period!:mad: Ya now I'm so tired of this I'm depressed so i'll just go take down as many people as I can,Wo, is f------ME Idiots.And oh, he was insane .Of coarse he's insane he shot someone.Pisses me off.Now we got two little girls growing up with out a mother,and this guy's gettin 3 hots a nd a cot.such bull.:mad:

MedicineWoman2012
01-02-2012, 06:29
He is very unlikely to escape with the lock down and air support thru out the park. God Bless the 2yo and 4yo lil girls left behind with a stressed and grieving father. I hope this doesnt discourage her lil ones from enjoying and appreciating the outdoors or national parks in the future. As a Mom of a lil one and voluteer with NPS on outer banks I can't fathom giving up that opportunity to explore because of a POS like this.

lemon b
01-02-2012, 07:24
God bless the Ranger and his family and Lord heal whoever done that awful thing. This kinda tragic death always bothers me.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2012, 09:21
He's wanted for shooting and wounding 4 others the same day in Skyway, Wa. http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/02/justice/washington-ranger-killed/?hpt=hp_t1 Looks like your average deranged and retarded northwest white-supremacist neo-nazi skinhead survivalist type in his photo in the article. Here's wishing him an up close and personal encounter with a grizzly bear.

Shutterbug
01-02-2012, 12:59
ranger shot and killed today :-(

http://news.yahoo.com/gunman-loose-national-park-fatal-shooting-000200462.html

The news reports make it sound like another Rambo movie situation.

I know the area very well. One of the reports said that the suspect appears to be trying to get "out of the snow." That would mean that he is headed south from the Paradise Road into some of the most rugged country imaginable.

Some of the news reports have stressed that the suspect has "survival skills." Surviving very long in that situation will require skill and luck. I predict that he will be caught or kill himself by the end of the day.

Guy
01-02-2012, 14:41
This is a tragedy for everyone involved.

Obviously, the ranger and her family didn't deserve this. Nor does her traumatized colleagues, or the other visitors to the park.

Despite what the shooters picture looked like, he's a recently discharged veteran of the Iraq war who's failed in returning home to peacetime USA.

This man is going to have to live (or die) with what he's done and he can't be absolved of his deeds. It's still worth remembering that his two young children are going to grow up fatherless now, and they've done nothing to deserve it either.

Old Boots
01-02-2012, 15:17
CNN reports that shooter was found dead.

Sly
01-02-2012, 15:24
(CBS/AP) Last Updated 2:18 p.m. ET

MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, Wash. — Police said a body believed to be that of a gunman suspected in the shooting death of a park ranger has been found, but the identity has not yet been confirmed.
Public Information Officer Guy Gill said that police searching Mount Rainier National Park have located the body of a white male face down in the snow with no heat signature. It is believed to be that of homicide suspect Benjamin C. Barnes, but that has not been confirmed yet. He apparently died after trudging into chest-deep snow while trying to elude snowshoe-wearing SWAT team members and other police who were on his trail

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57350970/body-found-believed-that-of-mt-rainier-gunman/

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2012, 15:58
This is a tragedy for everyone involved.

Obviously, the ranger and her family didn't deserve this. Nor does her traumatized colleagues, or the other visitors to the park.

Despite what the shooters picture looked like, he's a recently discharged veteran of the Iraq war who's failed in returning home to peacetime USA.

This man is going to have to live (or die) with what he's done and he can't be absolved of his deeds. It's still worth remembering that his two young children are going to grow up fatherless now, and they've done nothing to deserve it either.His prior service does not in any way make me feel different about him or his deeds. He's a cold blooded killer - he shot the ranger while she was still in her car.

Guy
01-02-2012, 19:16
His prior service does not in any way make me feel different about him or his deeds. He's a cold blooded killer - he shot the ranger while she was still in her car.

The sorry state of mental health treatment and the ease with which we send men like him into war these days makes me feel different about it. I would be much less charitable if he wasn't a vet.

That said, dying alone in the woods might be punishment he deserves.

Understanding isn't the same thing as forgiving.

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2012, 19:34
God bless the Ranger and his family and Lord heal whoever done that awful thing. This kinda tragic death always bothers me.

I was avoiding this ...because it terrible it's not HIS its HER ... yea She has 4 years on the job and set up a road block and - I have to ask don't they have access to a good bullet proof vest? I read several news stuff - I thought it was a woman ranger that was killed? She has two kids.

its crushhing...mentally.

And if I have the story wrong it really doesn't matter- its still awful.

d.o.c
01-02-2012, 20:52
wow im sad all i feel like sayig is ***

squirrel bait
01-03-2012, 09:42
Found dead of exposure.

Shutterbug
01-03-2012, 11:53
His prior service does not in any way make me feel different about him or his deeds. He's a cold blooded killer - he shot the ranger while she was still in her car.

You are right. His prior military service had nothing to do with this crime.

As a veteran of the Vietnam War, it always irritates me when the news media assumes a cause and effect relationship between military service and crime. The truth is that all kinds of people join the military. If they were "nut cases" when they joined, they will probably still be "nut cases" when they leave the service.

While this drama was still underway, the news media kept reporting that the gunman was a veteran with "survival training." The clear implication was that he was a Rambo type person -- a military trained killer. Compare that image to the facts as they were later reported. He fled into a rugged mountain area with two feet of snow in blue jeans, a tee shirt and tennis shoes. That doesn't reflect the actions of a person with any survival training.

My conclusion is that his military experience was irrelevant to this crime.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2012, 12:07

As a veteran of the Vietnam War, it always irritates me when the news media assumes a cause and effect relationship between military service and crime. The truth is that all kinds of people join the military. If they were "nut cases" when they joined, they will probably still be "nut cases" when they leave the service.

While this drama was still underway, the news media kept reporting that the gunman was a veteran with "survival training." The clear implication was that he was a Rambo type person -- a military trained killer. Compare that image to the facts as they were later reported. He fled into a rugged mountain area with two feet of snow in blue jeans, a tee shirt and tennis shoes. That doesn't reflect the actions of a person with any survival training.

FWIW, he was also discharged under less than honorable conditions (misconduct discharge). Apparently he ran afoul UCMJ on a DWI and a charge of illegally transporting personal weapons. I have this nagging suspicion there were likely other ongoing discipline issues, but that is just my personal speculation. I don't know how many or the severity of incidents it takes to get one's @$$ drumnmed out, and there's not a lot of detail out yet on this.

Now, in fairness, there are complaints that the armed services are discharging people with PTSD for charges those who are discharged are saying are caused by their service induced PTSD. Some say this is in order to simply drum them out and reduce both partial disability claims and VA's liability, but that is obviously an ongoing issue and debate. Clearly though, very few become murderers. The misconduct discharge, the Odin tat, the posing with guns, the restraining orders all point to someone with problems that appear to go way beyond just having problems adjusting to civilian life.

Old Boots
01-03-2012, 12:41
His prior service may or may not have had anything to do with his erratic and violent behavior. However, we need to be aware as a nation that when you send young people year after year into harms way and subject them to long term anxiety such as the soldiers and marines have experienced during the past decade in Iraq and Afghanistan, many will come home damaged mentally if not physically and we will have to lie with that. Maybe we ought to consider that the next time we decide to start a war.

Guy
01-03-2012, 19:53

His wife said that his behavior was erratic and that he was suffering from PTSD. She's probably not a qualified shrink, but I think shes in a better position to judge his state of mind than you or me.

Trying to understand the circumstances that led to this isn't the same thing as forgiving him for it. Just heaping blame and forgetting is easy, but it all but guarantees that this or something like it will happen again.

fiddlehead
01-03-2012, 21:13
His prior service may or may not have had anything to do with his erratic and violent behavior. However, we need to be aware as a nation that when you send young people year after year into harms way and subject them to long term anxiety such as the soldiers and marines have experienced during the past decade in Iraq and Afghanistan, many will come home damaged mentally if not physically and we will have to lie with that. Maybe we ought to consider that the next time we decide to start a war.

What he said^

Blissful
01-04-2012, 15:16
...And the soldier that butchered his own at that military base at Fort Hood a few years back? What's that excuse? Because he joined?

I saw a picture of the brave woman ranger. She had a disfigurement on her face or maybe a big birthmark, not sure. For that guy to do what he in cold blood and to a woman, there is no excuse...
In murders, everyone blames the guns, the war, how someone was treated when they were younger, insanity, whatever. No one blames the person and say - Hey he's evil.

BTW I have a nephew who served bravely in Iraq. My daughter-in-law in is the Navy. You dishonor them and those who serve...and are serving..our nation's interests and protecting democracy...by dragging political opinions into this