PDA

View Full Version : Loop Hike in North Carolina

tucker0104
01-01-2012, 21:31
Planning on doing a 2 or 3 day hike this coming weekend and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. It doesn't have to be the same trail but I need something 20-35 miles long that I can circle back to the beginning (preferrably without having to cover the same ground again). Thanks for the recommendations.

daddytwosticks
01-02-2012, 17:39
Standing Indian Basin. Park by the small parking lot outside SI campground. Hike up the Kimsey Creek Trail to the AT at Deep Gap, NC. Hike north on the AT past Standing Indian Mountain and Albert Mountain. Hike down Long Creek Trail (at Glassmine Gap) back to your car. I think this is about 25 miles. Excellent 2 or 3 day hike. :)

Summit
01-02-2012, 17:57
I agree this is a great loop. Depending on what time you get there, you might want to do the loop the other way. I usually do. There aren't any real nice campsites going up Kimsey Creek until just below Deep Gap. It's about two miles up Long Creek Trail to the AT. Just before you get to the AT there is a large field with nice camping by the lone tree in the clearing (stream a few feet away in the woods). Or go a few hundred more yards on up and there is a real nice campsite in the woods next to the same stream. So if your start is late in the day, this is the best way. If you start early in the day, either way is good!

Summit
01-02-2012, 17:59
Also, the Long Trail is easier to find (right across the road from the backcountry parking). Getting out of the campground on the Kimsey Creek Trail involves several turns and confusing trail signs.

tucker0104
01-02-2012, 19:00
Does anyone have a map of this area they could scan for me?

Summit
01-02-2012, 19:14
First two links ought to get you started. Search "Standing Indian Loop" here on WB. A lot of details have been posted previously.

https://www.google.com/search?q=standing+indian+loop+trail+map&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Papa D
01-02-2012, 19:57
To the OP - do you want to be on the AT? If not, the Joyce Kilmer / Citico Creek Wilderness area is an absolutely beautiful, wild, remote and wonderful wilderness - with lots of loops - I might suggest parking at Big Fat Gap and doing Big Fat Trail then something involving Slickrock Creek Trail, Haoe Lead to Stratton Bald, Fodderstack Tr. to Big Stack Gap Branch and back out via Big Fat. -- this is just one idea in this forest - there are many - like Naked Ground Tr., Stratton Bald Tr., or over on the Citico Side = North Fork Citico Creek which runs into the Telico River. Really an amazing place - should be cold, quiet, and peaceful this weekend (except for maybe Tipi Walter who pretty much lives there)

daddytwosticks
01-03-2012, 08:24
Agree w/Summit. The Kimsey Creek Trail has been re-marked the last time I hiked it (this past August), but it is still confusing and easy to get turned around the first time you hike it. This trail also is a very wet trail at times. :)

Summit
01-03-2012, 08:46
OK I've referred to it as "Long Creek" and "Long Trail," but it's real name is "LONG BRANCH TRAIL." Sheesh, a mind is a terrible thing to lose! :eek:

Tennessee Viking
01-03-2012, 10:39
Tucker,
If you are wanting to do the Mountains to Sea Trail, you will probably want to look at the trail systems between NC-181 and Beacon Heights, and over at Linville Gorge. You may also want to look at the Black Balsams area (Middle Prong/Shining Rock Wildernesses).

The Solemates
01-03-2012, 12:28
we just did a loop outta cades cove last week - check out my blog below. it was awesome - very scenic.

Loneoak
01-03-2012, 13:41
we just did a loop outta cades cove last week - check out my blog below. it was awesome - very scenic. Was looking at the pics in your blog and was intrigued by the mt tops that look like they have a mohawk on the top of them. Have they been logged off on the sides? ​I think there are two pics of them with snow.......thanks