PDA

View Full Version : Good swimming holes on the Long Trail

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 08:47
Since Ill be out in late July early August, I figured Ill have to explore the swimming holes Vermont has to offer. What are some of the good swimming holes in Vermont along the Long Trail.

lemon b
01-02-2012, 09:01
Ever couple of miles.

Papa D
01-02-2012, 09:06
Well - early on, you have the River at Vermont 9, Stratton Pond, a good creek at Wm. B. Douglas Shelter, and of course, Little Rock Pond. Past Rutland, the trail stays on more high ridges and mountaintops but there is still some swimming to be had. If you want to walk down to it, there is a good swimming hole at the bottom of Middlebury Ski Bowl, I took a dip in the Winooski R. near Jonesville, but I don't recommend it. Probably the best swimming hole out there is at Duck Brook Shelter - the creek has little rock holes to sit in and everything (the GMC is actually routing the trail around Duck Brook to eliminate a road walk but it should still be in play this year). You could also swim in the Lamoille River near Johnson. I can't recall the name of the pond just north of the Spruce Ledge Shelter but there were tent sites right on the pond and it was a great swim spot too - between the shelter and Mt. Belvedere. You are hiking the trail in perfect season. I did my end to end in July, '10.

Cookerhiker
01-02-2012, 18:55
You're only hiking the part north of Sherbourne Pass, right? Best place I can think of is Sterling Pond not too far north of Smugglers Notch/Rt. 108. It's a nice reward after an uphill slog.

Harpua
01-02-2012, 19:54
ritterbush pond. (Northern section) next to spruce ledge shelter. i spent 2 consecutive zeros there swimming. there are docks and benches by the pond, but i had it to myself. i also swam in the winoski river by jonesville/rt. 2.

mirabela
01-02-2012, 22:23
Many good ones have been named. Big Branch has many worthwhile holes. Clarendon Gorge at Rt. 103 is classic. Lake Pleiad is a short trip off the LT at Middlebury Gap and well worth it. There are some wonderful potholes and pools on Gleason Brook just upstream of the LT crossing, between Bamforth Ridge and River Road. Sterling Pond is good, but the leeches do mean business.

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 23:28
Doing the whole LT

pedxing
01-03-2012, 16:41
The only place I can think to recommend that wasn't mentioned yet is Griffith Lake, which is just north of Peru Peak. Of the places requiring a side-trip, Lake Pleiad is my favorite so far (both the "Lake" and the side trip are quite small).

I learned a couple new places reading this thread. I've never hit Ritterbush Pond - looking at the map I have no idea why not.

Papa D
01-03-2012, 18:19
ritterbush pond. (Northern section) next to spruce ledge shelter. i spent 2 consecutive zeros there swimming. there are docks and benches by the pond, but i had it to myself. i also swam in the winoski river by jonesville/rt. 2.THAT is the name of the pond just pastSpruce Ledge Shelter! It's a good one - tent sites too. I also remember a pondat the bottom of a ski area - maybe southof Madonna Peak - near shelter with care-taker - we skipped it (raining) but it lookedgood. I think thru-swimming is awesome.

pedxing
01-03-2012, 19:10
Sterling Pond is a bit south of Madonna Peak. I've never been there when conditions were right for a swim (too early, too late or too cold and windy). There used to be a nice caretaker monitored structure there with a porch right by the pond. Now there is an adequate shelter with little character uphill from the pond.

stranger
01-31-2012, 02:24
Ahem....Clarendon Gorge people!

Yukon
01-31-2012, 13:36

Indeed! Great spot to cool off, and to camp for the night :)

Papa D
01-31-2012, 13:40

yep - you are right - when I crossed the gorge, the river was raging off the hook - by the time I got to the Whistle Stop Cafe, the weather cleared but swimming didn't occur to me - good catch.

Tinker
01-31-2012, 13:47

With a note: Check the water level before hopping in. It can get pretty wild.

Jeff
01-31-2012, 14:42
Upstream from the suspension bridge there is a mountain of debris from Hurricane Irene...a real jumble of huge trees and branches. Downstream looks better, but it's a good reminder of the power of Irene.

Chaco Taco
01-31-2012, 15:24
Upstream from the suspension bridge there is a mountain of debris from Hurricane Irene...a real jumble of huge trees and branches. Downstream looks better, but it's a good reminder of the power of Irene.

Yea man we saw that when we drove to The Gathering. Sure was beautiful though in October. That area north of and just east of Bennington got walloped.