PDA

View Full Version : I'm leaving semi-late for a NOBO-thru... any modifications to plan?

RWheeler
01-02-2012, 13:23
I'll be doing the Approach Trail on either April 24 or April 25. I know I may have to flip-flop to pull it off, but I'd really like to be able to do it while maintaining GA-ME.

One thing I'd like feedback on is my interaction with other hikers. I feel like since I'm leaving a bit later, I may be relatively "alone" for the early stages. Because of that, I'm actually considering to maybe bring an MP3 player despite my initial plans. I figure plan to use it through Virginia, then dump it.

Another thing that comes to mind is the idea of hiker boxes. These are located at hostels only, right? Do these boxes get emptied regularly, or are they just kinda... left for the season? I'm in no way thinking I can live off of them, but I figured with my lagging behind, I can probably save some money by checking them out.

As for shelters, am I going to have more difficulty finding open shelters and spots to camp due to people doing a weekend or small section? Or will they likely be vacant, again, as I'll kinda be a bit behind the "crowd"?

While I can't actually start the thru until April, I'll still be able to do hikes in March, and early April. I'll likely be doing a few 3-4 day hikes in early April to prep for it. Will this allow me to start off with greater than 8~10 miles a day, or should I still start low once I'm doing the thru? Again, while I know that time isn't super critical for me to finish the thru, I feel like it's limited enough where I need to huff out some miles at points where I can in order to finish comfortably.

As for my gear, I'm pretty much ignoring cold weather items like a parka, long underwear, etc, for early on. Since I live in CT, I was thinking of having friends meet me as I pass through (or even somewhere like VT/NH if they'd want to drive up there) and sort of do a "season exchange". My sleeping bag is 25 degrees, so what can I get by with carrying in terms of clothing for essentially the first half of the hike?

How do I keep myself from going crazy having to wait the additional time? It's getting harder and harder, and I still have three and a half months...

mountain squid
01-02-2012, 14:06
Dispel of most of your notions.

There should still be plenty of hikers on the trail when you start. Hiker boxes are hit or miss - don't rely on them. Shelters will probably not be vacant often. A handful of dayhikes probably won't make much of a difference - get plenty of exercise, incl dayhikes, but I would still suggest to start with low mileage days. Don't ignore cold weather - The Smoky's are enroute - a warm jacket and long underwear for sure.

Yes, you're starting later than most, but you'll probably end up passing many of them. Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations

The Cleaner
01-02-2012, 14:10
Seems like the only time you will find empty shelters(southern part) is now till about early March.After the first group gets through here I still see many who leave late&flip-flop.Then you have many section hikers about.It is possible to find an empty shelter then a large Boy Scout troop shows up after you.I still meet several hikers doing the "shelter only" thing.You should at least carry some kind of shelter,seems like more people on the trail these days....

10-K
01-02-2012, 14:33
I was just thinking it won't be long before the parade starts.

A whole new crew..

RWheeler
01-02-2012, 14:37
Oh, I'll be bringing a tent with me, anyway, I was just curious about what the shelters would look like. So, sardine cans throughout the south. Got it!

Thanks all :D

Lone Wolf
01-02-2012, 14:40
i help the caretaker at "the place" hostel in damascus. i clean out the hiker box daily especially if something is open like peanut butter jars or zip locks with unmarked stuff in them

The Cleaner
01-02-2012, 15:31
I was just thinking it won't be long before the parade starts.

A whole new crew.. Just wish that a few of them would figure out what "LNT"&"Pack It In-Pack It Out" means.....

Razor
01-02-2012, 16:36
I also started in late April and fliped.--It was the best for my time line. As a thru you learn to adapt.------ As to your questions 1) You will not be alone The trail is still crowded in April from late thrus, section hikers ,and spring brake weekenders. As said before, the shelters may or may not be full. That is all over the board.What I did find surprising was the lack of trail traffic on the last month of the flip from Pa back into Harpers Ferry. On the last week, I spent 4 out of the last 7 by myself in shelters. October is a sporatic month and hard to judge. 2)Hiker Boxes are always different at different locations but after you flip do not count on seeing much of anything worth while. People do not maintain them after the bubble goes through and they get trashed.-- 3)No difference in shelters except above comments. Always have a shelter with you . In addition you can always find tent places al over on the southern half. -Much different than up north. 4) Count on low millage until you know what the game is ,much different than section hikes. 5) Weather --I do not know what you expect in Georgia but it can be 50-60 today and freezing tomorrow. Your average day temp will be about 18 degrees warmer than on 3/1 but there will be very cold days and hope you do not get some southern rain and freeze that the south is famous for. Be prepared for snow in the Smokies and say thank you if you do not get it. You can use warm weather gear after Roan Mtn until you turn and start with your winter gear again in Maine . (it was30 several nights when I turned ) Ihopeyou have a great trip and looking foward to seeing you in Georgia. By the way--being a little crazy means you are an average hiker!

Scaper
01-02-2012, 17:23
April 24 is a great time to start a thru hike. In my opionion most people start much to early and see nothing but winter conditions for the first half of there hike. I left on May 5 on my hike and only had the temp. drop below freezing 1 time until reaching New hampshire. I saw no snow for entire hike. I did have warm temp. in mid atlantic area but it didn't bother me. If you don't like hiking in warm weather or dealing with bugs you might not like hiking later in the season. Maine had great leaf color in Sept. Hikers who start in Jan-march miss this color unless they are very slow hikers. If I ever hike again i will leave first week in may like i did in 1990.

Datto
01-03-2012, 02:25
I was just thinking it won't be long before the parade starts..

Seventy-six pounds of stuff led The Hit Parade.
With a hundred and ten thru-hikers by my side.
They were followed by rows and rows of the finest ho-bos
The cream of every famous band.

You have to sing this with expression to get the full effect. Swing your arms back and forth while you're belting it out. Oh c'mon now, really let yourself go!

Datto

Datto
01-03-2012, 02:43
Just wish that a few of them would figure out what "LNT"&"Pack It In-Pack It Out" means.....

Ziggy wouldn't have had near the eats if'n all those thru-hikers just north of Springer hadn't thrown their unopened tuna cans along the side of the trail. Ziggy got a replacement T-shirt off a branch in the same area too -- a stylish tye-died T-shirt as I remember..

I don't think I saw Ziggy again after that day until Katahdin -- we all seemed to arrive at Katahdin six months later on the same day.

Datto

stonedflea
01-03-2012, 15:23
i skipped the approach and started april 19th. there were at least 15 other hikers at hawk mtn. shelter that night, and it remained that way for my entire through. even in late april, you will not be alone. i took over three weeks of zeroes in the south (one week alone was spent in damascus), and i was at the ny line by the end of july. your timing will be fine starting when you are. :)

definitely take cold weather gear, though. i awoke at the shelter just north of the NOC one morning to a temp of 31 degrees. that was the first morning fire i ever experienced, and it took me a good hour before i was willing to walk away from it to pack up my tent and start hiking. i went through the smokeys mothers day weekend and it snowed the very next week. keep your cold weather gear until you get past roan mountain.

RWheeler
01-03-2012, 17:41
Hmmm, I'll keep my colder gear with me then, until I'm past the Smokies.

Does anyone have any relative locations I may be at both 1 month and 2 months into the hike, considering average MPD and number of zero days taken? Just curious where I'll be around May 25 and June 25.

Blissful
01-03-2012, 21:13
You're young, a late April start puts you up at Katahdin in plenty of time, if you don't take too many zeros, that is.
Just take a tent and then the shelter issue is a non issue.
You can start at 8-10 but no doubt you will increase in no time (youth). :)

Blissful
01-03-2012, 21:15
One month, your age - near Damascus
Two months - in Shenandoah