PDA

View Full Version : most common bank along the AT

Harpua
01-02-2012, 20:20
ive decided to lift up my mattress and put the money into a bank account. i dont want to pay alot of fees at atm's when im in town looking to get more cash. does anyone know what bank is most frequently in towns along the trail?

hikerboy57
01-02-2012, 20:28
ive decided to lift up my mattress and put the money into a bank account. i dont want to pay alot of fees at atm's when im in town looking to get more cash. does anyone know what bank is most frequently in towns along the trail?youre going to pay fees anyway. most smaller towns have regional banks. and depending on the bank you deposit your money into, they may also charge you fees. You can simply buy a prepaid debit card(Visa) whcich will give you much more flexibility. yes, you pay a fee, but if you oont take out $20 at a time, the fees dont hurt so much.i usually carry betweeen $50 and $100 on the trail, along with my ATM card.you may object to fees, but its worth the convenience.in NY most credit unions cross honor each others ATM cards, waive fees, Im not sure of the situation in the south.

About_Time
01-02-2012, 20:36
I don't recall there being any consistent bank. I went with the take out as much as allowed approach to maximize what I got for the fee. A couple of alternatives would be that if you're buying your resupply (rather than maildrops), use a debit card and get cash back. You should also look into Internet Banks. The last time I looked into them, there were a couple that actually covered all the ATM fees for you.

RWheeler
01-02-2012, 20:52
Post Offices also do cash back without additional fees, if you're going to send out a post card or send back some gear or something.

Six-Six
01-02-2012, 20:55
use a debit card and get cash back.

That's my routine here at home with my bank nearby. What bank fees?

jj2044
01-02-2012, 20:58
You should look into USAA, they refund the fees at the end of the month. it has a limit something like 20 or 25 bucks, but i havnt had to pay since i started using them in 06. At one time you had to be/or had been in the military, but i heard they changed that a few years back

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2012, 21:42
Debit card in grocery stores - cash back.

Odd Man Out
01-02-2012, 21:47
I use my Discover Card. I can get cash back (at some locations). I pay off the full amount (on-line) each month so there are no fees or interest. And then I get 1% cash rewards, so the banks are paying me fees instead.

Papa D
01-02-2012, 22:18
when I first saw this post, i really did think it was about the banks of a river or a road bed (red clay) or the banks of a railroad trestle - - - ha, ha, $100 in cash and a V/MC will do you fine - stash a $50 somewhere sly that a thief couldn't find it too (like under your insoles).

Slo-go'en
01-02-2012, 23:37
Checking account + debit card = best way to go in this day and age.

JAK
01-02-2012, 23:43
Another trick is to start with a positive balance on your credit card, but debit is used in most places now. I am still not sure what is best for the retailer. I often ask them if they would prefer credit or debit and they almost always don't seem to care. You would think they would know and appreciate the gesture. Not sure what's up there.

Glogg
01-03-2012, 00:04
Ally bank refunds ATM fees at the end of each month, too; you may want to set up an account with them.

Don H
01-03-2012, 11:58
Saw several BB&T banks in the south and up into MD but you're not going to find one bank with branches along the entire trail. I got most of my cash from the Dollar Store and Walmart with cash back during check out. I used a credit card whenever I could so didn't need much cash. Also I had a hard time finding an ATM that worked in ME and you need cash in ME since a lot of the hostels don't take credit cards.

Rain Man
01-03-2012, 20:21
Might want to check a good credit union. Many don't charge you fees when you use others' ATMs.

Rain Man

jacob_springsteen
01-03-2012, 22:16
ive decided to lift up my mattress and put the money into a bank account. i dont want to pay alot of fees at atm's when im in town looking to get more cash. does anyone know what bank is most frequently in towns along the trail?

A mixture of cash, credit card, and a bank debit card and a bank checking account with internet access to pay credit card charges, in full, is a good way to go. Having someone on the home-front to help with banking chores helps too.

strollingalong
01-04-2012, 12:06
How much is the typical fee charged? Hated charges when lived in NY: It's so frustrating, that got rid of that for all ATM charges in the UK like 10 years ago.

Oak88
01-04-2012, 12:19
I bank at PNC Bank which reimburses all ATM fees. So I suggest look for a credit union or negotiate the fees with your local bank. You'd be surprised how they want to keep your business.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-04-2012, 12:47
when I first saw this post, i really did think it was about the banks of a river or a road bed (red clay) or the banks of a railroad trestle - - - ha, ha, $100 in cash and a V/MC will do you fine - stash a $50 somewhere sly that a thief couldn't find it too (like under your insoles).

I'm sure your intentions were good here BUT you just told every possible trail thief here that some folks may be carrying money under the insoles of their hiking boots. Of course, he would have to get past your defenses to get to your insoles since you're probably wearing your boots.

Spokes
01-04-2012, 13:02
1+ on the debit card at grocery stores and Post Office. Don't forget to save all your change for pay phone at Abol Bridge. That thing is like a one arm bandit!

DaSchwartz
01-05-2012, 02:08
Bank of America in my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bank_of_America_footprint.png

However, I agree with the others about the debit card idea instead.

Sly
01-05-2012, 02:51
Another trick is to start with a positive balance on your credit card,

With BofA if I have a positive balance they send a check and zero it out. When I started hiking I went with BofA. Unfortunately they charge for ATM's other then their own, so I always draw the max if I need any cash.

ALLEGHENY
01-05-2012, 03:07
Look for a bank that has a money earning checking account. Then ask or find out if the bank is part of the ALLPOINT ATM NETWORK. No fee banking.
Search Allpoint ATM Net..

ALLEGHENY
01-05-2012, 03:10
Look for a bank that has a money earning checking account. Then ask or find out if the bank is part of the ALLPOINT ATM NETWORK. No fee ATM. Search Allpoint ATM Net..

Sly
01-05-2012, 03:24
Look for a bank that has a money earning checking account. Then ask or find out if the bank is part of the ALLPOINT ATM NETWORK. No fee ATM. Search Allpoint ATM Net..

Money earning is better than being charged but interest rate are most likely less than 1% with a balance of $10K or more

http://www.money-rates.com/checking.htm

L (http://www.money-rates.com/checking.htm)ooks like Ally bank is the best option

ALLEGHENY
01-05-2012, 03:45
Allpoint ATM Net is a agreement between banks not to charge ATM fees to members bank cards. My bank is part of it. I looked up several A.T. Towns, "It works for me." Some ATM's are in or close to businesses listed in the Companion. Search it!

The op wanted to have free ATM choices not earn interest but why not get something. I shorted stock to get my funds to hike. Maybe things will be better economically when I get back. This network is the only banking that I know having any common link on the A.T.

RossSFCA
01-05-2012, 03:59
I cannot speak for all credit unions, but you might want to call around and check with your local credit union. Mine will refund the ATM fees (when you withdraw money from an ATM, it always asks if you want to pay anywhere from $1 - $5... I think it was $5 or more in Vegas!). My credit union is a non-profit, so they will refund the ATM fees charged by other banks.

I grew up in Virginia and it seems that most of the banks in that area were bought up other banks (like NationsBank) that were eventually bought by Bank of America. BUT, they charge a lot in account fees, especially if you do not have thousands and thousands of dollars in your account.

Ditch the bank, join a credit union! :)

Ross

rocketsocks
01-05-2012, 10:15
First National Fist!

TJ aka Teej
01-05-2012, 12:05
i dont want to pay alot of fees at atm's when im in town looking to get more cash.
The most common bank is the Post Office. No fee, just buy a stamp or two with cash back.

strollingalong
01-05-2012, 12:15
how much is the average fee for withdrawing in the US?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2012, 12:18
how much is the average fee for withdrawing in the US?$1.50...........

Jeff
01-05-2012, 12:29
The most common bank is the Post Office. No fee, just buy a stamp or two with cash back.

I have had mixed results with getting cash using a debit card at Post Offices. If it's first thing after they open, some have told me they don't have enough cash on hand to do that kind of transaction.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2012, 12:30
I have had mixed results with getting cash using a debit card at Post Offices. If it's first thing after they open, some have told me they don't have enough cash on hand to do that kind of transaction.and usually you can only get $50

Lone Wolf
01-05-2012, 12:32
ive decided to lift up my mattress and put the money into a bank account. i dont want to pay alot of fees at atm's when im in town looking to get more cash. does anyone know what bank is most frequently in towns along the trail? there are no common banks the length of the trail. you're just gonna have to pay the fees or carry travelers checks

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2012, 12:39
Smaller Post Offices don't keep a lot of cash on hand especially when they first open in the am. Usually they'll be fine up to $50 or maybe even $100 by the end of the day, but don't go in before noon and expect them to have a lot of cash. Grocery stores and pharmacies are a better bet.

ChrisJackson
01-05-2012, 13:38
Some banks will reimburse all ATM fees. Hometown Community Bank in Brasleton Georgia is one example. This may be a consideration for Georgians only though perhaps.

Blissful
01-05-2012, 16:13
I only paid ATM fees rarely. But take both credit card and debit (and make sure you have a duplicate debit at home as sometime the code on it will deteriorate)

tee
01-05-2012, 17:03
What kind of account do you have with PNC? I have PNC do not have fees reimbursed.