PDA

View Full Version : Complete List Of Hiker Towns

frankiefisticuffs
01-02-2012, 21:09
Does anyone know of a complete list of all the trail towns along the AT from GA to ME? Not the "best" or "coolest" towns, but just a list of all of them. I'd like to stop in as few towns as possible because of budget and time limitations. If you know of a list that's been published in a book or guide I'd love to get myself a copy so I can make little notes in the margins. Thanks so much!

hikerboy57
01-02-2012, 21:13
theres another thread here about guidebooks. any of them list all the trail towns.

Papa D
01-02-2012, 21:30
Well - if you want to stop in as few as possible, here are a few:

Hot Springs, NC - you've actually got somehere - cleared the GSMNP - well on your way
Damascus, VA - well - it might be the most famous trail town - really very nice - forget the name of the pizza place, but it's good, and a milkshake for breakfast at Dairy King - wow
Harpers Ferry , WVA - well, stop at the HQ anyway
Duncannon, PA - a thru-hike might not be complete without a night at the Doyle
Kent, CT. -- sort of a pricy little town but a trip to the Fife 'n Drum piano bar for a pint or a glass of wine is a hoot
Manchester Center, VT or the Inn at Long Trail Pub between Killington and Rutland, VT - weekend music and a pint not to be missed
Gorham, NH - pretty much could be an AT pub crawl here
Andover ME - check out Pine Ellis Hostel
Monson, ME

I'm sure I left out plenty but this is a nice start

stonedflea
01-03-2012, 14:57
Well - if you want to stop in as few as possible, here are a few:

Hot Springs, NC - you've actually got somehere - cleared the GSMNP - well on your way
Damascus, VA - well - it might be the most famous trail town - really very nice - forget the name of the pizza place, but it's good, and a milkshake for breakfast at Dairy King - wow
Harpers Ferry , WVA - well, stop at the HQ anyway
Duncannon, PA - a thru-hike might not be complete without a night at the Doyle
Kent, CT. -- sort of a pricy little town but a trip to the Fife 'n Drum piano bar for a pint or a glass of wine is a hoot
Manchester Center, VT or the Inn at Long Trail Pub between Killington and Rutland, VT - weekend music and a pint not to be missed
Gorham, NH - pretty much could be an AT pub crawl here
Andover ME - check out Pine Ellis Hostel
Monson, ME

I'm sure I left out plenty but this is a nice start

quincy's is the pizza place in damascus. if you get in on thursday, be sure to stay for karaoke. :D

the food at the doyle is delicious, but i would suggest if you're staying the night to take a shower on the 3rd floor.

in gorham, nh there's a super friendly couple that owns the white birches camping park. i love them. they pretty much adopted me and my dog for a few weeks this fall.

there is an article something along the lines of "ideas for an inexpensive thru-hike" here on whiteblaze. check it out... it will tell you which towns to go into, which towns are super expensive so you should have mail drops there (fontana dam was RIDICULOUS. def ship yourself something there).

ckwolf
01-03-2012, 17:53
Isn't the ATC's DataBook the most complete and concise list anymore? handy to know which way to turn when you get to a road too...