PDA

View Full Version : gloves for hiking and camp

clb
01-03-2012, 09:21
I have been happy with a thermasilk glove liner overlaid with a smartwool glove liner, and MLD e vent Mitts over that (if rain) but the smartwool liners are very fragile, and I think I'd like a mitten for that layer anyway. I have cold hands and this set up has worked well for hiking. In camp I'd like something a little warmer without too much extra weight. Would like to hear about others' set ups.
Thanks,

Red Hat
01-07-2012, 12:53
I use cheap polyester gloves ($1 Walmart now) with event mitts and that works well. I've spend literally hundreds of dollars over the years on various gloves and find it is best to go lighter and with layers instead of getting the big ones.

clb
02-11-2012, 18:09
Thanks RedHat,
I agree with light layers, and after trying several things since my OP, went back to my original set up (thermasilk liner (alone in milder weather)and smartwool liner with event mitts. For colder it seems the smartwool liners with Possumdown mittens are working well. Durability is still an issue, but none of the above are overly expensive (excluding the event on both counts) Gloves for me have been a challenge to dial in, sounds like you have some experience with that. I live in a rural area and most of my purchases are online, which can exacerbate the issue :)
Thanks for your comments,
Leigh