PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing in Winter

EJC
01-03-2012, 13:06
I just got a new SMD scout tent. I was planning on using it for a few weekend hikes in the near future however it still needs seam sealed. Since the temps here aren't really staying above freezing for the full 8 hours it seems like this thing will never get done. I've tried setting it up inside without any success. Any suggestions?

mikec
01-03-2012, 13:30
I usually wait until it gets to 60 degrees outside before I seam seal a tent. Or I do it inside, though it tends to smell.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2012, 13:47
Use pots and pans (filling with water or other heavy things can help to add weight) for tie-outs, heavy books inside at the corners, etc. You should be able to set it up enough to apply seam sealer indoors - if you don't have cats or dogs (they will definitely make it close to impossible - don't ask . . .)

Tinker
01-03-2012, 13:57
If you have a large wall-to-wall carpeted room you can use Velcro hook strips to anchor the tent to the carpet. That's what we did at REI waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back in the 1980s.

EJC
01-03-2012, 15:01
Velcro hook strips sound like the only way to go. I already tried using old, heavy text books. I have 2 dogs and they jumped all over the books, pages got ripped out, tent collapsed, so 4EB I know what you mean :)

STICK
01-03-2012, 18:53
I seam sealed my SMD Skyscape Trekker inside my house. I don't have a huge open area, but I just set it up where I best could. Worked out pretty good. I tied it off to chairs, tables, etc... just grab some string and get to tying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcprEDHJSoU

I just ordered a ZPacks Cuben Hexamid Solo Plus and I will probably set it up inside and seal it inside too.

rocketsocks
01-03-2012, 19:03
Or you could seal it how I tackle cutting down large tree limbs....6" at a time