PDA

View Full Version : How far(miles) should a beginner hiker expect to make per day on a long section hike?

Many Moons
01-03-2012, 14:13
Starting on Easter at Springer NOBO. How many miles would a beginner hiker expect to make the first few days? Will be at it for about 2 weeks and hope my mileage will increase as the days pass. I don't know any thru-hikers or section-hikers to ask.

10-K
01-03-2012, 14:16
Every body is different.

If I had to give an answer to this I'd say stop about 2 hours before you think you need to for the first week or so.

Grampie
01-03-2012, 14:19
At your age and with no experience I would shoot for doing 10 miles per day. I would not expect to do much more than that. Happy trails on your adventure.

Spirit Walker
01-03-2012, 14:28
Have you ever backpacked before? If not, figure about half your dayhiking mileage - e.g. if you can dayhike 12 miles, plan on 6-8 a day to start out. After the first few days, you may be able to increase to about 10 mpd. Starting in April, you can expect some cold weather with possible snow/ice, so give yourself at least a day leeway in your planning.

leaftye
01-03-2012, 14:31
What kind of shape are you in and how much walking and running do you do?

I take 5 minute breaks once an hour. I've found that I'm faster this way.

Many Moons
01-03-2012, 14:36
I have never hiked or backpacked. Have stayed in woods all day chasing turkeys. I am in just OK cardio shape and working on that now. Thanks for the replies!

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2012, 14:38
8 to 12, depending on fitness level and terrain (northern GA is pretty mountainous). I wouldn't expect it to increase much though during a two week trip. You're likely going to be sore on day three / four or so. Throw in the possibiliy of a blister or general knee pain and you will want to allow for a few easy days as well. Nothing wrong with starting late and stopping early a few days, especially if camped at a nice spot. Bring something good to cook, read the shelter log, etc, etc. Maybe you'll go a couple miles further each day by the end of your hike, maybe not. Just enjoy, don't push.

Don H
01-03-2012, 15:07
I had done a lot of section hiking before my thru this year and I started off doing 8 - 10 and slowly increased over a month. I purposely avoided doing over 20 a day after that even when I knew I could. Hike your own pace, don't try to keep up with the crowd.

backtracker2
01-03-2012, 15:24
I would layout my hiking schedule for around 7 or 8 miles a day. After you are out a couple days, you can always increase your mileage. With Neels gap only 3 or 4 days out, it is easy to adjust your food needs and mileage there. Those first few days will give you a better idea as to how far you will want to go each day until the next resupply.

FatMan
01-03-2012, 15:29
Go easy your first two days. It will give you a feel for things to come and what you will be capable of. I recommend Springer to Hawk Mtn Shelter for your first day and then on to Gooch Mtn Shelter your second day.

Springer to Hawk is a short pleasant walk. Hawk to Gooch is short but you will get a taste of the typical ups and downs you will encounter the rest of your hike. After these two short days you will have a much better feel of what kind of mileage you will be able to do for the remainder of your hike.

Good luck and Enjoy!

chelko
01-03-2012, 15:33
There is a reason that most AT shelters are between 7 and 10 miles apart. This seems to be a good pace when starting. You may not want to stretch to far beyond 10 mile days after a week or so since the reason you are out there is to enjoy yourself and experience the trail. If you are into high milage take up marathon running not backpacking.

Many Moons
01-03-2012, 16:08
Looks like 6-10 miles would be a good start for me. I will use advice given, Thanks.

BlakeGrice
01-03-2012, 16:43
Like everyone else said 8-10. But also be flexible....If you do 8 miles and its 2pm- keep going if you want to. Or, set camp without having to worry about it getting dark.

msupple
01-03-2012, 17:46
My wife hiked about 120 miles through part of VA last summer and she had never backpacked before. She had quite a bit of car camping experience and loved to dayhike in the five mile range. She did about 7 to 9 miles the first couple of days and then upped it to at least 13 pretty consistently. Our longest day was 17+ miles in almost 100 degree heat. Frankly I was amazed at how well she did. She developed a couple of blisters which she lanced and bandaged herself right in the middle of the trail. BTW...she's in her mid sixties. We plan on hiking from Springer to Harper's Ferry this spring/summer and from there to Katahdin the following year. We were originally going to hike right through but have decided we really want to take our time and thoroughly soak up all the trail has to offer. Good luck with your hike...it's addicting.

1azarus
01-03-2012, 17:56
good question to ask -- i'd suggest that along with being careful about how many miles you walk you are also careful about how much stuff you carry. there is a direct connection between distance covered, walking comfort and weight carried. i'm not pushing ultra light here -- just suggesting you are thoughtful about what you carry.

Papa D
01-03-2012, 18:11
Good responses everybody. I'd only add that this is going to be harder than youthink. Short of backpacking, I'd say themore slow, long distance running you do,the less daunting it will seem in the earlydays.

MuddyWaters
01-03-2012, 18:24
depends heavily on what you are packing, as well as physical shape.

lighter is definitely easier.

JAK
01-03-2012, 18:44
I'll narrow it down a bit, based on my own experience.
Take whatever weight, naked, would give you a BMI of 22.5
Divide that by your current wieght, plus all your gear and clothing, and half your consumables.
Multiply that fraction by 20 miles per day.

So, for myself, ideally 165, currently 215 plus say 25 pounds of stuff. 20 x 165/240 = 13.75 miles per day would be a good estimate for planning purposes.

Rasty
01-03-2012, 18:51
Go slow or a two week hike could end the second day. I wish I could remember this more often. I ruined a week long solo hike in the Smokies this year by doing 17 miles in 7 hours after driving 8 hours that morning.

Hooch
01-03-2012, 19:11
Divide that by your current wieght, plus all your gear and clothing, and half your consumables.

So, for myself, ideally 165, currently 215 plus say 25 pounds of stuff. 20 x 165/240 = 13.75 miles per day would be a good estimate for planning purposes.Overthinking it. Especially if you've never hiked in NGA before. 7-10 mpd is a good estimate.

bigcranky
01-03-2012, 19:32
Hike 8 miles per day for the first couple of days. That puts you at Hawk Mountain the first night, and Gooch Mountain the second night. If you feel good, go to Gooch Gap to the nice grassy campsite just past the road. Then Woods Hole, then Neels Gap for a nero/resupply. If the weather is great and you feel good, you can leave Neels Gap late in the afternoon and get a couple of miles in before stopping for the night, otherwise plan to go Neels Gap to Low Gap the next day, then Blue Mountain, etc.

Basically this is shelter-to-shelter. The shelters have good campsites nearby, plenty of water, and the company of other hikers. The advantage of this plan is the ease of logistics -- finding a good campsite and finding water are much easier this way, and that's a big help the first few days. Once you get into the rhythm of hiking, you can stop at a shelter for a meal and some water, then keep hiking, knowing you'll find a place to sleep somewhere along the trail.

Your mileage will definitely increase over a two week hike - by the end of the first week you should be able to hike 10-12 miles per day without too much trouble, assuming you are in halfway decent shape to start and not carrying some monster pack. I would suggest that a first-time 49 year old backpacker who finds him- (or her-)self at the 8 mile mark at 2:00 in the afternoon NOT keep going. The body takes a while to adapt to carrying a pack up and down mountains all day, and adequate rest is required. Besides, having seen a lot of beginning hikers in Georgia, most of them don't have this problem. :)

Sounds like a great hike, enjoy it.

JAK
01-03-2012, 20:04
I am overthinking it, of course. It is highly weight dependant though, more than any other indicator.
So if you are overweight, account for that. If you are not overweight, or overpacking, then expect to do more miles.

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2012, 20:08
Multiply that fraction by 20 miles per day...
Whenever I start doing math naked they don't let me out for months...

JAK
01-03-2012, 20:27
Still, it does permit me to be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

ChinMusic
01-03-2012, 20:42

So, for myself, ideally 165, currently 215 plus say 25 pounds of stuff. 20 x 165/240 = 13.75 miles per day would be a good estimate for planning purposes.

At 330 pounds you would start off at 10 mpd?

Hooch
01-03-2012, 20:51
To the OP, just listen to your body and go walk. No math necessary.

Freedom Walker
01-03-2012, 21:59
Starting on Easter at Springer NOBO. How many miles would a beginner hiker expect to make the first few days? Will be at it for about 2 weeks and hope my mileage will increase as the days pass. I don't know any thru-hikers or section-hikers to ask.

Easter is April 8th, and since you are a beginning backpacker, I reccomend getting some weight into your pack and begin doing some training hikes in the best mountain trails you can find weeks before you go. I have done two sections Springer to neels (30 miles over 3 days), and Neels to Dicks Creek (37 miles over 4 days) and each time I held up well going up and over the mts, but came away both times with hurt knees. It is easy to overestimate how you are doing and find yourself with hurting knees with 4-5 miles to finish before you can get picked up. At age 49 your cartilage may be already worn down just waiting for you to overdo it. So be careful.

prain4u
01-03-2012, 22:10
Hiking less miles per day--and enjoying it----is far better than hiking more miles and being uncomfortable or injured. So, EASY DOES IT!

I just turned 50 in November. My best advice--DON'T FORGET TO BRING THE IBUPROFIN! (I playfully call it "Vitamin I"). I take two (200 mg) tablets in the morning and two more before bedtime. If needed, I maybe take two more ibuprofin at whatever time of the day happens to be my "midday". If you take the Ibuprofin, your body will probably thank you. I would NOT recommend waiting until your 49 year-old body is hurting before you start taking it. I personally start taking my first dose of "Vitamin I"--before I even hike mile # 1 on day #1.

If you are travelling very far via a vehicle on the same day that you start your hike--then perhaps cut down on your first day hiking mileage (and hike a little more slowly than you might otherwise hike). It is amazing how sore/stiff many people can get when riding in a car/bus/train etc. (and you might not even notice it at first). It takes many people a good portion of the first day of hiking in order to "work the kinks out" if they have travelled very far to get to the trailhead. If possible, I try to travel to a hotel near a trailhead the day before I start my hike. That afternoon or evening, I try to lightly walk between a half mile and two miles--without a pack---in order to loosen things up a bit. Then, on day # 1 of my actual hike, I also hike a little more slowly and a little less mileage than usual. By Day # 2 of the actual hike I am ready to push things a LITTLE bit more.

I would recommend hiking a slow and casual 6-8 miles on the first couple days of your hike--even if you are feeling like you can hike more miles.

The Quiet Man
01-03-2012, 22:26
Great Thread,
This is exactly the information I was looking for! Thanks,

daddytwosticks
01-04-2012, 08:13
Agree with bigcrancky on all counts. Also, don't underestimate the importance of the social factors the first few days on the trail. :)

Tinker
01-04-2012, 08:18

I typically do 50-100 mile sections at a time, and often start very out of shape. On most of the trail I manage 8-10 mile days starting off and can handle 15 or so at the end of a week. In the mountains of Georgia you'll probably be wise not to push more than 8 miles/day for the first three or four days, but that's just a general suggestion. If you feel good on a particular day take advantage of it and set your goals higher. On the other hand, if you feel tired by noon, set your sites on the next available campsite or shelter and take it easy. Tomorrow is another day, they say.

PapaGarrettP
01-04-2012, 09:22
I have done all of Georgia -- in 2 separate trips -- within the past 6 weeks. First trip was Neels to Amicalola; second trip was Blue Ridge Gap to Neel's. Both sections around 40 miles. My son and I allowed 4 hiking days and three nights to complete. In both cases we hiked about 9 miles the first day and 12 miles the fourth day. Middle days around 10 miles. Our packs weighed 40 lbs (with full water). I am 52 and in good shape (I run and lift weights, but drive a desk all day).

We both agreed that if we were doing a thru hike we would have started off a bit slower. Having said that, our pace was, for us, not unreasonably fast. We did each of our hikes SOBO. We could always spot the thru hikers as they were "skinny and fast." It was amazing (to us) to see how fast they hiked, especially the closer we got to Springer!

pyroman53
01-04-2012, 11:10
Regardless of daily miles (I do 8-12), on my week-long section hikes I usually plan a short day 3. Seems Day 1, I'm ready and eager. Day 2, I'm sore but not fatigued. Day 3, that's the day everything hurts and even modest climbs take serious effort. By Day 4, I'm ready to go - enjoying the walk. By Day 6, I feel strong and wish for the hike to continue. Sucks to go home at that point!! Have fun!

JAK
01-04-2012, 11:36
At 330 pounds you would start off at 10 mpd?Good point. It's gotta be non-linear at some point, in a big way. How would you test something like this? Maybe speed is reduced linearly with weight, but the hours you can hike per day also reduced linearly, so maybe...

20 miles per day x [165/(215+25)]^2 = 9.5 miles per day.

165 = 'ideal weight' at BMI = 22.5
215 = current weight
25 = all clothing and gear plus average consumables

Spokes
01-04-2012, 12:55
Here's a formula to consider:
Take what you think you can hike and cut it in half. Do that on the first day, access how you feel, then adjust up (or down) from there.

Hey, it's only walking like Lone Wolf says right?

Hooch
01-04-2012, 13:02
Here's a formula to consider:
Take what you think you can hike and cut it in half. Do that on the first day, access how you feel, then adjust up (or down) from there.
Well thought.

Good point. It's gotta be non-linear at some point, in a big way. How would you test something like this? Maybe speed is reduced linearly with weight, but the hours you can hike per day also reduced linearly, so maybe...

20 miles per day x [165/(215+25)]^2 = 9.5 miles per day.

165 = 'ideal weight' at BMI = 22.5
215 = current weight
25 = all clothing and gear plus average consumablesOverthought to a fault.

Spokes
01-04-2012, 13:04
Now where did I put that slide rule?

hehehehheheee........

Hooch
01-04-2012, 15:05
Now where did I put that slide rule?

hehehehheheee........No clue. But I know where it belongs.

Spokes
01-04-2012, 15:14
...... Ouch!

Many Moons
01-04-2012, 15:42
I will take everyones advice and start slow at 6-8 miles a day. Thanks for the good input!

FlyPaper
01-05-2012, 11:20
Well thought.

Overthought to a fault.

Hmm. Not overthought at all in my opinion. My next hike is in April, and I'm thinking about it every day.
I'm game for thinking about it from any and all angles. On our last hike, I had 3 different contingency hikes laid out,
along with a google map for each one. It's an absolute pleasure to explore interesting mathematical formulas
that help one plan distances. And if they turn out to be less that adequate, then we get to ponder ways to improve
the formula or account for more variables. Are we better off to save our mental energy to ponder things such as who'll
get axed in the next Survivor episode?

FlyPaper
01-05-2012, 12:03
I will take everyones advice and start slow at 6-8 miles a day. Thanks for the good input!

Hey, I just noticed you're from Raleigh. I'm from Garner, and when I'm out of the Triangle Area I just tell people I'm from Raleigh.
We did North Georgia last fall. It had a little more up/down than is average for the AT, but it is NOT in a different league. On the bright
side, the trail is very well maintained in Georgia and as a result, the footing is very good. That should make up for some of the extra hills.

NO_Turtle
01-05-2012, 12:19
A couple of considerations,

Blisters (on feet and/or hips). Solve these problems immediately. Once/If you destroy your feet or hips hang up the bag.

Walking time. I usually get up before sunrise and walk until dark, with long and frequent breaks. This plan provides time for rest, food, hydration, and sleeping if needed.

Thru hike vs section hike. Different gear. Need more gear during some times of the year to protect from freezing sleet and snow, etc. You will need spring/winter gear at this time to be safe.

Weight of pack. I'm at 22 lbs (gear) with no food and water. Many people are less than this. Less weight will make the hike easier.

My goal for food is no more than 1 1/2 pounds per night out. You will pack to much food. Other will also. People will be giving away food to get rid of it. More places than you think to purchase staples along the way.

If you are new to backpacking and plan to get in shape on the trail keep it to 10 +\- miles a day. The days are still short at that time of the year.

Get up early, take breaks, eat and drink twice as much as you feel like eating, and prepare to walk in the shelter around 1 hour before dark and you should be fine.

Many Moons
01-05-2012, 13:33
My address is Wake Forest, Live closest to Raleigh City limits, Rolesville and Raleigh fire area, Knightdale telephone area, Wake Forest fire tax, live in the county on two acres. Raleigh just made it easy!

Hmm. Not overthought at all in my opinion. My next hike is in April, and I'm thinking about it every day.
I'm game for thinking about it from any and all angles. On our last hike, I had 3 different contingency hikes laid out,
along with a google map for each one. It's an absolute pleasure to explore interesting mathematical formulas
that help one plan distances. And if they turn out to be less that adequate, then we get to ponder ways to improve
the formula or account for more variables. Are we better off to save our mental energy to ponder things such as who'll
get axed in the next Survivor episode?

Spokes
01-05-2012, 13:43
I'm game for thinking about it from any and all angles. On our last hike, I had 3 different contingency hikes laid out, along with a google map for each one. ....

I prepared a three ring binder full of plans, schedules, and maildrops for my thru hike. It was pretty much worthless by the time I hit Neels Gap. Look back and laugh about it now.

Boots73
01-05-2012, 13:59
You're going to be getting "broken in" your first few days as has been mentioned. I'd suggest a zero day or an extended rest day after about 5 days of your first hike. Remember you're not only conditioning you body but also your mind. Someone once said that the toughest trail you'll ever face is the one between your ears. Enjoy the trail, play, find your way to celebrate the time.... I love taking pictures... a great shot beats extra miles for me any day.

The weather will also have an effect. If the first few days of your first hike are all days of rain (or freezing cold, or whatever you don't like) ... it might take some conviencing to get you back on the trail for even 5 miles.

Blessings on your hike.

Creek Dancer
01-05-2012, 14:34
My address is Wake Forest, Live closest to Raleigh City limits, Rolesville and Raleigh fire area, Knightdale telephone area, Wake Forest fire tax, live in the county on two acres. Raleigh just made it easy!

Hey, we have a strong Raleigh contingent on this thread! Cool. I'm in N. Raleigh.

Lumberjack2003
01-05-2012, 22:29
My advice is not to think about the miles at the beginning. The AT is so different from training that you should look at the first 2 weeks as a shack-down period. You will probably change your gear, your food, etc... as well so don't stress the miles.

All the best with your hike.

Spokes
01-06-2012, 00:48
As Ron Haven once said:

"There's three things that will force a thru hiker off the trail quicker than anything else- (1) Carrying a pack that's too heavy, (2) Hiking faster, trying to keep up with a hiker who hikes faster than you do, and (3) Failing to take a day off every 5-7 days to rest your legs ".

If you know Ron, you know what kind of impression he made by offering that wisdom.