PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

B-Rabbit
01-03-2012, 14:47
Im wondering if anyone has a link to some kind of trail food reference chart. Im looking to print off a list of high calorie food that I can use as a reference for my thru hike this spring.

royalusa
01-03-2012, 14:57
A nice set of articles (written by a nutritionist and avid long distance hiker) with specs on some foods: http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

royalusa
01-03-2012, 15:39
I took the article(s) I referenced above one day and just played with some of the foods that either we might carry or were referenced in the article to see the data in a bit more detail, such as calories/ounce (for when we wanted to lighten our load) or calories/cup (for when we wanted to cram as many calories as possible in a bear vault), as well as the carb/fat/protein ratios. I attached the spreadsheet, which was really never totally finished. The items in 'red' are our guess, as we did not have that info when we were working on the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet enabled us to fill in the quantity of a listed food item and see the end result - number of calories, weight and carb/fat/protein ratio. Way too much analysis....we must have been bored that day! But it did give us an idea for menu planning.