PDA

View Full Version : ATC's New Executive Director Named

Lauriep
01-03-2012, 14:57
ATC's new executive director was just named today, after an extensive search. WhiteBlazers will be happy to know that Mark Wenger, who will be officially starting as executive director February 1, is a 2,000-miler, having completed an 8-year section-hike last summer. He has also been active with his local A.T.-maintaining club, the Tidewater Appalachian Trail Club (he recently served as president).

For those who care about any other aspect of his background and qualifications, you'll find more at http://ow.ly/8gNIJ.

As of February 1, ATC will have 13 2,000-milers on our staff, 11 of whom are thru-hikers.

Laurie P.
ATC

Jeff
01-03-2012, 17:16
Best of luck !!

Having to deal with both the US Govt as well as us hikers cannot be easy.:)

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2012, 17:26
Best of luck !!

Having to deal with both the US Govt as well as us hikers cannot be easy.:)

Agree. And all that prior professional stuff about him is nice and all, but Laurie didn't say anything about whether or not he sleeps in shelters, uses trekking poles, filters his water, etc. So how do we know if he's really qualified? :D

Cookerhiker
01-03-2012, 17:56
...didn't say anything about whether or not he sleeps in shelters, uses trekking poles, filters his water, etc. So how do we know if he's really qualified? :D

The thing is, he undoubtedly has opinions on those items since he's hiked the entire AT. Somehow I suspect weightier issues will occupy his priorities now.

rocketsocks
01-03-2012, 19:31
congrat's on new position..now get back to work:rolleyes:

Hikerhead
01-03-2012, 21:00
Agree. And all that prior professional stuff about him is nice and all, but Laurie didn't say anything about whether or not he sleeps in shelters, uses trekking poles, filters his water, etc. So how do we know if he's really qualified? :D

I bet he uses hiking poles but before I can be sure he's qualified I need to know if he uses rubber tips....:) Congrats!

fiddlehead
01-03-2012, 21:05
So who's place did he take?
Brian King's?

Lauriep
01-04-2012, 11:57
Fiddlehead, Mark Wenger will be replacing David Startzell, who has served as ATC's executive director for 25 years. You can read a recent article about Dave's legacy here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/atj/76-atj-november-december-2011.pdf), and a brief bio at www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/our-team. One way you could summarize Dave's contributions is to say he is the single person most responsible for overseeing the protection of the A.T.