PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to seam seal

The Solemates
01-03-2012, 15:19
Finally had to retire my 8 year old tent that had over a year's worth of bag nights on it. It was falling apart.

So for Christmas I got a new one. I never thought I did a great job seam sealing my last one, nor our new family tent that I seam sealed 2 years ago. My jobs were always sloppy and the stuff was put on too thick. I did some searching on here, but couldnt find real good stepwise directions on the best method to seam seal. I've heard of diluting with stuff...I've heard about temperature requirements...I've heard about how to apply....I've heard about where to apply...I've heard all kinds of advice.

But someone who is good at this help me out so maybe I can get it right this time...

canoehead
01-03-2012, 15:29
http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AiOKJbnFkP4Ue14i5fDoUPibvZx4?p=seem+sea l+tent&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701-1

Lyle
01-03-2012, 16:35
Forget the mess of thinning, the expense of buying SilNet.

Go to your auto parts store, buy a tube of "flowable silicone windshield sealant". Costs about $3.00, easy to apply right out of the tube. Can use a small brush for spreading, I used my finger. The neatness of the finished product will be dependent on the time and care you use when applying. Personally, I prefer fully sealed to showroom looks.

Slo-go'en
01-03-2012, 17:09
I tried the method suggested on the Six Moon Designs web site for thier tents. Dilute silicone cauking with some mineral spirits. That worked much better then the commercial seam sealer I first tried.

mudhead
01-03-2012, 17:37
What fabric type are you aiming to seam seal?

Don H
01-03-2012, 21:33
What fabric type are you aiming to seam seal?

Yep, use the wrong stuff and you'll have a pealing mess. SilNet or thinned 100% silicon for silicon nylon.

Toolshed
01-03-2012, 21:43
Sheesh.. It seems (almost) everyone (not Mudhead) assumed you got a sylnylon tent??????

The Solemates
01-04-2012, 14:35
its a silnylon tent - big agnes UL2

Spokes
01-04-2012, 14:42
Don't forget to sprinkle talcum powder (unscented and NOT baby powder!) on seam seal when dry to prevent sticking.

I find Clubman brand talc at Wally World or my local Walgreen drug store.

Spokes
01-04-2012, 14:44
Drats!.................... duplicate post.

Tinker
01-04-2012, 15:46
its a silnylon tent - big agnes UL2

It's a silnylon AND polyurethane tent. At least the fly is. Putting the wrong sealant on the wrong side could be a big mistake.

Besides: The tent comes sealed from the factory, or at least it SHOULD.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/CopperSpurUL2

From link: All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane (No PVC or VOC's) tape
Relax........................:)

Tinker
01-04-2012, 15:54
New thought: I'll bet that the polyurethane is on the inside of the fly and the floor, just like on an "old style" tent, and that

............the "sil" in the "silnylon" is a silicone based DWR applied to the outside of the tent. Camp Dry is a well known, old time silicone spray repellant which has been used for years to renew the DWR on the top side of tent rainflys.

It's probably a wholesale marketing gimmick laid on us by the mega tent manufacturers to give the illusion that their tents are made of the same thing as silicone impregnated fabric.

That is not the case at all. Silicone impregnated fabrics are not fire retardant by nature, so I'm guessing that the mega tent guys are using the old standby polyurethane coating on the interior to comply with CPSC fire retardant regulations for fabrics.

I could be wrong, but I'm putting this forward because I'm betting that I'm not.

Franco
01-04-2012, 16:52
From the BA FAQ :

Every Big Agnes tent has all necessary seams taped using PVC-free and solvent free seam tape. The seam tape along with the waterproof coatings on the floor and fly of the tents ensure Big Agnes tents are waterproof right out of the stuff sack. There is no need to apply any seam sealant to a new tent. If after a few seasons of hard use you notice water coming through a seam, we recommend spot sealing with Seam Grip by McNett. Under very rare circumstances is it necessary to re-seal every seam on a Big Agnes tent.

Improper seam sealing by a tent owner is not covered under warranty.
Franco

The Solemates
01-04-2012, 18:10
It's a silnylon AND polyurethane tent. At least the fly is. Putting the wrong sealant on the wrong side could be a big mistake.

Besides: The tent comes sealed from the factory, or at least it SHOULD.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/CopperSpurUL2

From link: All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane (No PVC or VOC's) tape
Relax........................:)

i think i do remember reading about a 1200 mm PU coating on the tag. i'll look when i get home

New thought: I'll bet that the polyurethane is on the inside of the fly and the floor, just like on an "old style" tent, and that

............the "sil" in the "silnylon" is a silicone based DWR applied to the outside of the tent. Camp Dry is a well known, old time silicone spray repellant which has been used for years to renew the DWR on the top side of tent rainflys.

It's probably a wholesale marketing gimmick laid on us by the mega tent manufacturers to give the illusion that their tents are made of the same thing as silicone impregnated fabric.

That is not the case at all. Silicone impregnated fabrics are not fire retardant by nature, so I'm guessing that the mega tent guys are using the old standby polyurethane coating on the interior to comply with CPSC fire retardant regulations for fabrics.

I could be wrong, but I'm putting this forward because I'm betting that I'm not.

interesting...i too doubt it is silicone impregnated, again i will look when i get home.

From the BA FAQ :

Every Big Agnes tent has all necessary seams taped using PVC-free and solvent free seam tape. The seam tape along with the waterproof coatings on the floor and fly of the tents ensure Big Agnes tents are waterproof right out of the stuff sack. There is no need to apply any seam sealant to a new tent. If after a few seasons of hard use you notice water coming through a seam, we recommend spot sealing with Seam Grip by McNett. Under very rare circumstances is it necessary to re-seal every seam on a Big Agnes tent.

Improper seam sealing by a tent owner is not covered under warranty.
Franco

thanks for doing my homework....i just have always seam sealed stuff - that may have been the issue with my last tent as well but i'll never know. now if I could get someone to do my real work.... :)

The Solemates
01-04-2012, 18:15
i have the fly creek UL2: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL2

from their site:

Fly is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
Floor is ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
Tent body is ultralight breathable nylon rip-stop and polyester mesh

guess i will not be seam sealing.....

mudhead
01-04-2012, 19:43
There. That was easy. Smells better, too.

Toolshed
01-04-2012, 21:38
So that is very similiar to my 2005ish SD Clip Ultraflash - a Blend of suplightweight nylon with PU on one side and silicon on the other (and simliar to Tinkers comments) if you need to seam seal at some point, I have had great a success with Seam Grip on the PU (underside) side of the fly, or inside the tent body.
`

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2012, 21:55
Forget the mess of thinning, the expense of buying SilNet.

Go to your auto parts store, buy a tube of "flowable silicone windshield sealant". Costs about $3.00, easy to apply right out of the tube. Can use a small brush for spreading, I used my finger. The neatness of the finished product will be dependent on the time and care you use when applying. Personally, I prefer fully sealed to showroom looks.

Without getting into the details - All Silicone's are not alike. One of my friends introduced me to a top quality sealant that lasts 10 more years over regular sealant.

I tried the method suggested on the Six Moon Designs web site for thier tents. Dilute silicone cauking with some mineral spirits. That worked much better then the commercial seam sealer I first tried.

Stick with what the manufacture recommends.... Don't void the warranty. And don't skimp. Wait we are going to argue over $3 savings on a $250-350 tent - in this perspective - please give this some more thought. - or would you rather get wet?

JAK
01-04-2012, 21:57
some seal seal seams with sinew

LDog
01-04-2012, 22:46
Without getting into the details - All Silicone's are not alike. One of my friends introduced me to a top quality sealant that lasts 10 more years over regular sealant.

Are you going to make us beg for this kernel of knowledge?