PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about.....kilts

BlakeGrice
01-03-2012, 17:15
So I was out a few weeks ago and board member Toli mentioned hiking in a Kilt. Sounds interesting.

http://www.sportkilt.com/category/52/Hiking-Kilt.html

So whats the rule- commando underneath? Underwear?

Anyone on here wear one? Summer only ?

beakerman
01-03-2012, 17:28
i never go commando with my kilt but then again i wear my kilt when Im with my scouts so commando would just be wrong. I don't wear it in the winter...even in texas.

I would imagine you will get folks on both sides. my guess from personal experience is if you are going without you will need some sort of antimonkey butt powder to keep the boys from having an issue.

I do know this TSA doesn't like to search you when you wear a kilt. :p

SouthMark
01-03-2012, 18:01
I learned a lesson the hard way. No more commando, it's compression shorts for me now.

skinewmexico
01-03-2012, 18:02
If you don't go commando, it's a skirt. And I love my MH Mountain kilt in hot weather.

rocketsocks
01-03-2012, 19:26
My boy's need support

SCRUB HIKER
01-03-2012, 19:54
Personal preference--it's all about how much you chafe, or how much chafing you're willing to tolerate. I know I personally can't last an hour on the trail without having boxer briefs on (try Ex Officio ... one pair lasted me 5 1/2 months on the AT).

Going commando is a little dangerous for other obvious reasons. I walked past a thru-hiker, (name redacted), napping on a boulder in the sun in the Whites wearing a kilt last year. It was flapping like a sail in the warm breeze, which I'm sure was comfortable for him, but since his legs were pointed towards the trail, I got to see a lot more of his physique than I ever wanted. Then I had the Bryan Bower song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUV5d09JZw) stuck in my head for the next three days.

At the end of the day, it's all up to you ...

Chaco Taco
01-03-2012, 20:52
If you don't go commando, whats the point? Love my MH kilt

Pathfinder1
01-03-2012, 21:14
Nothing under the kilt is worn. Everything is in perfect working order...!!

prain4u
01-03-2012, 21:25
Why do they call it a "kilt"? Because if you call it a "skirt"--there is a great probability that you will be "kilt" (killed) by the guy who is wearing it!

JAK
01-03-2012, 22:13
I would like to try something like the sport kilt, but made of wool. I wear shorts in winter, so I would likely wear a kilt in winter also. Somewhat longer and heavier in winter though, and with knee socks. Also, I would no hesitate to wear long underwear underneath if it was cold enough. I think to make kilts really worthwhile, you would have to be able to unfold them like a blanket at night. So they couldn't be all sewn up, but at the sametime you could still have some shortcuts like belt loops so that it could all come together quickly when needed. I have found poncho/blanket to be a simpler way to combine clothing and blanket, but really only practical in summer or on day hikes. Still, if I can get a kilt to work, I will give it another shot. Maybe start with cheap fleece and see how it goes.

BlakeGrice
01-04-2012, 00:31
I think I am gonna get one- and yeah- compression shorts is my vote I suppose

beakerman
01-04-2012, 17:44
see I told ya...pretty much right down the middle...it dependson how much suport your equipment needs for you to be comfortable and how much you tend to chaffe.

timmy_toes
01-05-2012, 17:29
i just got a rain kilt from zpacks cant wait to use but im sure ill have shorts on underneath unless its a hot rainy day, in which case commando will prolly look like a good option!

Mr. Clean
01-06-2012, 09:01
For me it depends what trail I'm hiking. If it's a busy trail with lots of ledge and steeps, I'm usually not commando so I don't scare anyone.

I remember being in Mahoosuc Notch one time, talking to a few teenagers, when all of a sudden I hear a voice underneath me "oops, guy in a kilt." I'm sure shes glad I had some coverage on.

Majortrauma
01-06-2012, 09:47
There is no rule for wearing a kilt. It's very interesting how often this subject come up on WB. The end result is always personal preference though. If I were to recommend a political philosophy to this subject it would have to be Libertarian which is also consistent with the "hike your own hike" philosophy.
There neither is nor should be an one "rule" for wearing a kilt. At the same time, those of us who choose to go commando in a kilt should have enough discretion and modesty so that no one knows we are "commando" and not feel compelled to let all hands know hey everyone, I'm naked under my kilt, wanna see my twigs and berries??? Yea, there will be moments where the boys may be accidentally exposed but that's really rare unless the wearer just doesn't give a damn. Extra discretion should be applied when you are in areas where "civilians" , especially very young ones, are likely to be walking about or when one needs to go into town.
Those who look with disdain on those who are commando, well that's their problem. I choose to go commando because it's significantly more comfortable, it's a lot more convenient to urinate and defecate and I don't have to carry skivvies. Chaffing is not an issue so commando is the way to go for me.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2012, 10:10
There is no rule for wearing a kilt. It's very interesting how often this subject come up on WB. The end result is always personal preference though. If I were to recommend a political philosophy to this subject it would have to be Libertarian which is also consistent with the "hike your own hike" philosophy.
There neither is nor should be an one "rule" for wearing a kilt. At the same time, those of us who choose to go commando in a kilt should have enough discretion and modesty so that no one knows we are "commando" and not feel compelled to let all hands know hey everyone, I'm naked under my kilt, wanna see my twigs and berries??? Yea, there will be moments where the boys may be accidentally exposed but that's really rare unless the wearer just doesn't give a damn. Extra discretion should be applied when you are in areas where "civilians" , especially very young ones, are likely to be walking about or when one needs to go into town.
Those who look with disdain on those who are commando, well that's their problem. I choose to go commando because it's significantly more comfortable, it's a lot more convenient to urinate and defecate and I don't have to carry skivvies. Chaffing is not an issue so commando is the way to go for me.

Hey hey hey everyone, Id like to make an announcement, Im naked under my kilt. Just need to let you know because while there are no rules, Im a libertarian and I don't need anyone telling me how I wear my kilt. Don't you go and tread on my hiking rights :rolleyes: I know you meant it as a joke, so I am joking back with you (don't get all bent outta shape)

Personally, I don't really give a rats a** if you wear a kilt and wear nothing under it. Thats your deal. So what, you see someones junk. Near kids yes, snap that privacy button on your kilt. Its not a big deal, if you see a ball or a whatever, be mature about it. Its significantly more comfortable if you wear nothing, esp in the summer months. I NEVER had any chaffing issues in my kilt. When I had regular hiking shorts, I had chaffing issues. If you are that uncomfortable with seeing a boob, ball or butts then maybe hiking just isn't for you. I can't tell you how many times we walked up on the middle aged guys in Virginia during the really hot weeks, skinny dipping and no one said anything to then about it.

Raul Perez
01-06-2012, 10:22
I kilt and I use compression briefs. Its not that I need the support its that my thighs are thick and naturally rub together which causes a lot of friction. Hell I even chafe when I wear the compression shorts if I do high mileage days in hot temps.

I'm not fat I'm 155lbs of twisted steel lol

I've tried the body glide stuff but I dont like the feeling of it.

Raul
(Water Monkey)

Chaco Taco
01-06-2012, 10:25
I kilt and I use compression briefs. Its not that I need the support its that my thighs are thick and naturally rub together which causes a lot of friction. Hell I even chafe when I wear the compression shorts if I do high mileage days in hot temps.

I'm not fat I'm 155lbs of twisted steel lol

I've tried the body glide stuff but I dont like the feeling of it.

Raul
(Water Monkey)

Gold Bond always works well for the thighs as well

Raul Perez
01-06-2012, 10:29
Gold Bond always works well for the thighs as well

Been there not that effective for me either. In fact that was my first solution, then the body glide... stuck with compression shorts.

Newb
01-06-2012, 10:53
I tried to "look up" kilts on the internet...but our security policy blocks that type of thing....:)

The Old Boot
01-06-2012, 11:00
I just keep thinking about mosquitoes and up here, the black flies! The bites are bad enough when they're confined to legs and arms, etc.

Or do you commando kilt wearers limit yourselves to bug free hiking areas?? Applying deet to sensitive areas doesn't sound like a plan to me!!

Majortrauma
01-06-2012, 11:02
I definitely won't get bent on this Chaco. It's all good. My post is only partially tongue in cheek though.

Hey hey hey everyone, Id like to make an announcement, Im naked under my kilt. Just need to let you know because while there are no rules, Im a libertarian and I don't need anyone telling me how I wear my kilt. Don't you go and tread on my hiking rights :rolleyes: I know you meant it as a joke, so I am joking back with you (don't get all bent outta shape)

Personally, I don't really give a rats a** if you wear a kilt and wear nothing under it. Thats your deal. So what, you see someones junk. Near kids yes, snap that privacy button on your kilt. Its not a big deal, if you see a ball or a whatever, be mature about it. Its significantly more comfortable if you wear nothing, esp in the summer months. I NEVER had any chaffing issues in my kilt. When I had regular hiking shorts, I had chaffing issues. If you are that uncomfortable with seeing a boob, ball or butts then maybe hiking just isn't for you. I can't tell you how many times we walked up on the middle aged guys in Virginia during the really hot weeks, skinny dipping and no one said anything to then about it.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2012, 19:19
I definitely won't get bent on this Chaco. It's all good. My post is only partially tongue in cheek though.

I know, Im just kidding :sun. We are in the middle of the 7th Circle of Political Hell here in Concord this weekend. The debates and the primaries are exhausting so Im heading to the woods ASAP :banana

Funny I may have been watching Jon Stewart when I was typing that-----;)

Wizard 2009
01-09-2012, 23:30
depends on the weather condition at the time...windy or cold, i'll put on a base layer or gym shorts...hot and sunny, commando

BobM
03-13-2012, 12:28
I do know this TSA doesn't like to search you when you wear a kilt. :p

I wore one of my kilts up to Mass. a couple of years ago, and TSA was more than a little interested. I hadn't been groped like that since my wedding night. I try to avoid flying now, but if I must I show up in cotton shorts with a plastic zipper, without belt, and a plain Tshirt on top. The kilt is in my carryon, and I change inside the security zone. Works great.

JAK
03-13-2012, 20:37
I like a wool kilt.

surprise surprise

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 20:53

Wow Chaco - very democratic!

possibly the best Gallery ever thanks Blake!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/6/5/8/3/396779_363248450359319_100000225002983_1702996_506 81836_n.jpg

BlakeGrice
03-14-2012, 23:06
Glad you like it man thanks!

turtle fast
03-15-2012, 01:38
When wearing a hiking kilt...especially in your clan colors and pattern, is it mandatory to have your hiking derg and claymore with you? I guess the claymore sword could be used as a hiking pole.

rocketsocks
03-15-2012, 02:32
When wearing a hiking kilt...especially in your clan colors and pattern, is it mandatory to have your hiking derg and claymore with you? I guess the claymore sword could be used as a hiking pole.Can i just use my shalali and SA knife?