PDA

View Full Version : stock up points

wolf
03-11-2005, 20:38
is there any stock up points from rock fish gap to front royal,so i do not have to go lite.on a scale of1to10 how hard is this section of trail.you see i have bad knees thanks :dance

A-Train
03-11-2005, 21:40
Yes you can hitch into Luray VA, which has a PO and stores and motels. It is 6 miles from Thornton gap, 70 miles N of Rockfish and 30 miles S of Front Royal. You can also get light resupply and meals at the waysides in the park, but they do not open until May.

The terrain is some of the easiest on the AT, but don't be fooled, there is some climbing and the trail skirts 3500 feet or so, but mostly gradual ups and downs. For an out of shape hiker it could be challenging, but also a nice place to build ur trail legs. Good luckl

Skyline
03-11-2005, 23:41
Actually, some of SNP's facilities are opening March 25. I posted a complete schedule a few weeks ago at:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7618

For short-term, limited resupply the camp stores at Loft Mt. Campground, Big Meadows Wayside, and Elkwallow Wayside will work. Selection is limited and prices are higher than town, however.

As A-Train said, Luray to the west has more options. It's an easy hitch in, >>>IF<<< you stand just to the east of the Skyline Drive bridge over US211. Getting back up the mountain is a bit tougher but doable.

If you can plan a day or so in advance I'm often available for shuttles between Thornton Gap and Luray at lunch time and after work. Best bet would be to call from Skyland or Big Meadows with your ETA. I'm listed in the Companion and Wingfoot under Luray/Thornton Gap/US211.

kncats
03-12-2005, 06:54
Last summer the camp store at Loft Mountain in SNP had a good selection of freeze dried foods at not too outrageous prices. Most of the rest was stuff you'd expect to see for people camping in RV's, but there was a pretty good variety of food. If you're stopping in here make sure you check your map before taking one of the marked trails heading to it. Northbound, the last one trail will only take you a couple hundred yards off of the AT. The first two will cause you to skip or backtrack a few miles.

chris
03-12-2005, 20:01
I resupplied out of, I think, Lewis Mountain campground. They had a slim selection, but enough of the basics that I didn't feel deprived. Overall, I'd say that the SNP section of the AT is the easiest long stretch north of Springer and before you hit Maryland. The downs are not super steep and the footing is generally good.

Skyline
03-12-2005, 23:26
If you were moving with the NOBO thru-hikers about this time of year, somewhere you'd start hearing about Shenandoah. It's FLAT, there are NO ROCKS, and you can eat your way through the Park at BUFFETS every day!

Um, it's easier than North Carolina--but it's not flat, there are some rocks, and the restaurants aren't nearly that plentiful. Most thru-hikers get from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal in five to seven days--some more, some less. Some love SNP, some hate the rules/regs and close proximity to Skyline Drive.

If you can find time to fit in some side trails IMO you'll enjoy SNP more. I'd recommend one or more of the following circuits which start on the AT and end further north on the AT:

1) Jones Run-Doyles River/South District

2) Laurel Prong-Rapidan Camp (Camp Hoover)-Mill Prong/Central District

3) Dark Hollow Falls-Rose River Loop/Central District

4) Hawksbill Summit-Cedar Run-White Oak Canyon/Central District

5) Thornton River-Hull School Trail-Piney Branch/North District

As the AT generally follows the ridge, side trails involve descending into delightful hollows with waterfalls and canyons They therefore involve ascending back up to the AT to continue your NOBO journey. With a (required) backcountry permit, you can camp almost anywhere (exceptions will be posted where you get your permit) but there are no AT-style amenities like shelters, privies, fire rings, etc. along the side trails.