PDA

View Full Version : southern VA hike

virgil
01-03-2012, 21:50
What's southern VA like as far as hiking terrain? I'm planning to hike the AT from Damascus VA to Daleville VA early this summer. I see the elevation points listed in the AT Guidebook but I don't have the AT elevation maps yet. Just wondered, fairly hard, fairly easy, any comments?

bigcranky
01-03-2012, 23:07
That depends. Hard for a flatlander straight off the couch. Easy for an experienced hiker in trail shape. Some long climbs, but mostly well-graded. Amazing scenery. Mt Rogers, Wilburn Ridge, wild ponies, Dragon's Tooth, MacAfee Knob -- great section overall.

Rain Man
01-04-2012, 10:06
What big cranky said. I might just add another factor... your daily mileage. It's a great stretch of the AT, some great views, great hostels, great trail towns. Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan

Majortrauma
01-04-2012, 10:16
Ditto Rain Man. LOTS of great hiking and in my experience I never had to worry too much about water. You won't be bored and you will be physically challenged.

d.o.c
01-04-2012, 13:06
lots of nice grades some tuff climbs though id say its on avreage a moderate to hard hike.. with some exceptions.. :) you will get more ridge and valley crossing towards daleville which is kinda tuff..

d.o.c
01-04-2012, 13:08
but tinker cliffs will be a awsome place to reflect on your hike befor daleville.