PDA

View Full Version : Good news!!

RockyRoo
01-03-2012, 22:52
Went to the US Embassy and got my visa today! :bananaGreat to finally know that although my fiancee and I have been prepping our gear, mental, physical, and financial state(s), this hike will actually happen now that we've been granted our visas!!!! So excited to be going back to the US too! Just wanted to share the happy news amongst all the fellow "crazy people", since the very select few we tell about hiking the AT look at us funny and say we're crazy.

bigcranky
01-03-2012, 23:00
You're crazy!

But so is everyone else here. Congrats and welcome.

CrumbSnatcher
01-03-2012, 23:00
have a great journey!

strollingalong
01-03-2012, 23:18
congrats! hoping I'll be saying the same sometime soon once my passport is renewed first.

tell me.... what things did you show to tick the right boxes? I've seen the list and so on, but real examples would be better. painfree process?

cheers

RockyRoo
01-04-2012, 00:24
congrats! hoping I'll be saying the same sometime soon once my passport is renewed first.

tell me.... what things did you show to tick the right boxes? I've seen the list and so on, but real examples would be better. painfree process?

cheers

We applied for the B1/B2 visa - the paperwork we took showed we will leave the country after our hike. We showed our bank and investment statements (showed that we had enough to support ourselves while in the US and that we have assets outside of the US). We also showed my student loan details, all my completion information from my university, including teacher registration back in Australia.

Anything that shows you'll leave the US afterwards helps. Good luck!!! If you're prepared and follow all the steps, it's actually suprisingly easy!

strollingalong
01-04-2012, 00:54
thanks.... hoping it will be

strollingalong
01-04-2012, 01:01
Did you show an itinery? the websites I read said it'd be a good idea. Don't own property but make good money and have my name on rental contract till after AT, plus a good reference from the director of an important institution where I work. all this bloody stuff to do, christsakes, you'd think tagging along in illegal wars would guarantee me coming and going as I please!

stonedflea
01-04-2012, 01:10
congratulations!!! :) that's so exciting!

not that you asked for it, but my best advice would be to take it slow at the start. i heard a story this year of a guy from thailand injuring his knee on the approach trail first day out. as soon as he flew into this country, he had to fly out.

ahhh! have fun with it! :D

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2012, 01:21
Hope you have a great AT walkabout!

rocketsocks
01-04-2012, 02:03
Congrats mate,sorry you had to go through all that,when all you needed to do is come through mexico..........every body's do'in it.:D

hunter121
01-04-2012, 03:30
I'm awesome like that!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg

Big Dawg
01-04-2012, 04:01
Congrats!!! Have a blast!!

strollingalong
01-04-2012, 11:22
better than coming from the east and raping and killing everyone on the way. Rio Grande, here I come.

Oak88
01-04-2012, 11:59
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi oi oi

B-Rabbit
01-04-2012, 12:16
That's great! Wish we had more Australians around...Good people!

mrclean417
01-04-2012, 14:36
Welcome back I hope you have a great time. You can leave your samples of Vegemite home though. I've still got a couple packets floating around my breakroom from a couple years ago when a buddy came over and got us all to try it. Took some to my inlaws for Thanksgiving and got pictures of about 5 daring souls while they gave it a whirl.

Ya, must be an acquired taste. My buddy just put a couple big blobs on his morning toast and enjoyed the meals.

SoHo
01-04-2012, 16:01
hey rockyroo,
you are right! we have to share our news and excitement with all crazies. Got my visa as well, cant wait to hit the trail.
Good luck to you, too and keep on hiking and hiking and hiking :-)
take care,
soho

Dumplings
01-04-2012, 16:54
Nice. Hope you enjoy your stay here.