PDA

View Full Version : longtime forum visitor finally goes hiking again!

foodbag
03-11-2005, 22:13
Hello everyone. In 1999 I attempted a thru hike but stopped after two months due to a variety of foot maladies. Since that day I have dreamed of returning to the trail but kept putting it off for the usual reasons (work, money, self-doubt and a whole bunch of others). Then I discovered this forum and started the long mental journey toward THE DECISION, that is, to get my ass back out there.

I'm pleased to say that it has only taken me 6 years to work up my nerve and that I will be joining this year's crop of hikers at the point where I left off in 1999. Psych! :banana I want to offer my thanks to everyone who participates in this forum for keeping it lively. I think that if I hadn't kept in touch with the spirit of the A.T. here, I might never have gone back....

See you on the Trail, May 2, 2005. Woohoo! 1,558 miles to go 'til Katahdin :jump

Hikerhead
03-11-2005, 22:26
That's great :clap . Once a hiker always a hiker.

Good luck and I hope that no more foot problems will pop up. I bet your pack will be somewhat lighter this time around.

SGT Rock
03-11-2005, 22:33
Good luck man. Just think of it as a long zero.

foodbag
03-11-2005, 22:37
Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I have the big four down to about 5 lbs. 5 oz. and spent some dough on Phil Oren/Superfeet insoles. I was only carrying about 32 lbs. in 1999, fully loaded but I hiked way too fast, too early on gnarly, pronated dogs. With lessons learned I'll see how it goes this time around.... :)

MedicineMan
03-11-2005, 23:31
and i liked Rock's comment on the 'long zero'....good way to look at it...
Foodbag, good luck and Godspeed.

Tim Rich
03-12-2005, 10:06
Good luck man. Just think of it as a long zero.

Nice. Every year we go back to pick up another section where we left off. Within a minute, it's like we never left.

walkin' wally
03-12-2005, 10:20
Nice. Every year we go back to pick up another section where we left off. Within a minute, it's like we never left.

That is a nice way to put it too, Tim :sun

Kerosene
03-12-2005, 13:32
In some ways I like the annual draw of my section hike: I get to plan for the trip, upgrade my equipment, remember how to pack all over again, anticipate my departure, and revel in being out in the woods again. Part of me would love to do a thru-hike, but I've decided that other things have precedence at this point. It will be interesting to see what I do once I finish the AT...re-hike certain sections or go on to hike other trails?

ToeJam
03-12-2005, 15:55
foodbag, Best of luck on your thru! I can't begin to imaigne all you have learned reading and keeping on touch here all of those long, hard years!

I'm with kerosene, we feel the same. Sure we would love to do our thru and eventually will I reckon, but right now with 8 kids and various other commitments, its not gonna happen in the next ten years. And that annual draw, that's exactly right! Each year we upgrade a few things of our equipment, and learn new tricks from reading here and get lighter and lighter and have a better time and DO better time but still enjoy ourselves! And that was right too, each year it takes less than an hour, just getting away from the starting point road crossing whatever, and we feel like we never left and are a part of that other world again. Even if it is just for 7-9 days at a time, it still gets us thru until the next year... for now!

Good luck again, foodbag! Look forward to hearing how ya make out, hoep ya can check in!