PDA

View Full Version : Starting at Springer Mtn Feb 1st any advice?

Justinla45
01-04-2012, 13:08
I am a intermediate hiker that has great gear and am an athletic guy I was looking to start at Springer on February first and head north. I have done a good bit of research and am fairly certain I will be fine but this is an odd time to start this hike and I am a little nervous please give me advice and knowledge. Thanks so much.

Storm
01-04-2012, 13:34
You are from the south so you shouldn't be underestimating how cold it can get. Check the long range forecast and take something warmer than what you need. Good luck and have fun.

The Solemates
01-04-2012, 14:31
be prepared. know what you are doing.

we started 1 feb as well. had 3 foot snow drifts across the trail many times.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2012, 14:38
I am a intermediate hiker that has great gear and am an athletic guy I was looking to start at Springer on February first and head north. I have done a good bit of research and am fairly certain I will be fine but this is an odd time to start this hike and I am a little nervous please give me advice and knowledge. Thanks so much.bring extra cash for motel rooms

Slo-go'en
01-04-2012, 15:36
Good luck! I wouldn't hazzard to guess what kind of conditions you'll find this year. Just keep in mind Febuaury is typically the coldest month of the year and then the spring storms start in earnest early March. Yea, bring lots of cash.

Ender
01-04-2012, 15:43
My advice is don't stress about it. You'll figure it out as you go. Just make sure you have enough to keep warm the first couple months and you'll be fine.

HiKen2011
01-04-2012, 15:53
My advice is don't stress about it. You'll figure it out as you go. Just make sure you have enough to keep warm the first couple months and you'll be fine.

I concur....;)

PapaGarrettP
01-04-2012, 16:25
Based on how the temperature dropped in Georgia between last week and this week, I would suggest you take a zero bag. My 20 degree bag was adequate last week (temps down to about 26 at night), but I would have frozen my ass off this week. Also, the shady side of the mountains will be icy so I would take some of those strap-on spikes for your shoes.

BlakeGrice
01-04-2012, 16:50
I'd learn as much as you can about regulating core body temperature.

The Solemates
01-04-2012, 18:20
Based on how the temperature dropped in Georgia between last week and this week, I would suggest you take a zero bag. My 20 degree bag was adequate last week (temps down to about 26 at night), but I would have frozen my ass off this week. Also, the shady side of the mountains will be icy so I would take some of those strap-on spikes for your shoes.

never have understood why anyone would go into the woods with a 15,20,30 etc degree bag in the winter. i always take my 0 degree from dec til march....and i have 6 bags to choose from! then again...i dont like pushing the limits on warmth while sleeping. i scrimp on most things...but never my bag.

last week it was 18 one night and 35 the next night, which is a huge swing in nighttime lows, and we were at virtually the same elevation each night. be prepared.

jj2044
01-04-2012, 18:32
the best advice i could give, unless there is a reason, would be to wait a month and start in march... i have no doubt you can and will be able to do the trail feb 1st, but its going to be COLD and more then likely at some point alot of snow.

Turk6177
01-04-2012, 19:01
http://hikeappalachia2011.blogspot.com/ This guy started in February last year. You may want to read his blog.

max patch
01-04-2012, 19:07
My advice would be wait 2 months to start. You'll hike in better weather, and you'll finish up in the fall -- best time to hike in new england -- instead of the middle of summer.

If you insist on starting 2/1 bring a zero bag, long underwear, gloves, extra socks, wool hat and, as already mentioned, extra money for hotels and town meals.

Papa D
01-04-2012, 20:27
I think Feb 1st is a fine time to start - yes, you will hit cold and you will hit snowstorms (but you could also easily luck into a few weeks of days in the 50s and nights only in the high teens and 20s. I assume you will carry a zero degree down bag (really a must). You say you have "great-gear" -- I hope that doesn't mean "a lot of great gear" - most everyone carries too many clothes - you will need rain good hard shell rain gear, warm clothes to sleep in, a down sweater / jacket, a stocking cap and a change of socks in your pack -- you might find that even when hiking you only wear a long sleeve tech shirt, shorts and a light sweater. Beyond this, I'd suggest no "extra anything" - you should also not carry a water pump (if you were thinking about it) if for no other reason is that in February it will just freeze all the time.

Ok, I've gotten carried away --- the GOOD thing about this start is that you will be a whole month ahead of the hoard of NOBOS that will start in March (sorry to the hoard) -- you shouldn't have to be the last to cram in to a wet shelter full of hanging stuff or be forced to bivy under the picnic table -- by March you'll be in NC/TN (maybe VA if you move fast) and on cruise control.

Best of luck and fun.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2012, 21:23
I think Feb 1st is a fine time to start - yes, you will hit cold and you will hit snowstorms (but you could also easily luck into a few weeks of days in the 50s and nights only in the high teens and 20s. I assume you will carry a zero degree down bag (really a must). You say you have "great-gear" -- I hope that doesn't mean "a lot of great gear" - most everyone carries too many clothes - you will need rain good hard shell rain gear, warm clothes to sleep in, a down sweater / jacket, a stocking cap and a change of socks in your pack -- you might find that even when hiking you only wear a long sleeve tech shirt, shorts and a light sweater. Beyond this, I'd suggest no "extra anything" - you should also not carry a water pump (if you were thinking about it) if for no other reason is that in February it will just freeze all the time.

Ok, I've gotten carried away --- the GOOD thing about this start is that you will be a whole month ahead of the hoard of NOBOS that will start in March (sorry to the hoard) -- you shouldn't have to be the last to cram in to a wet shelter full of hanging stuff or be forced to bivy under the picnic table -- by March you'll be in NC/TN (maybe VA if you move fast) and on cruise control.

Best of luck and fun.how many times have you thru-hiked starting 1 February?

BrianLe
01-04-2012, 21:52
"the GOOD thing about this start is that you will be a whole month ahead of the hoard of NOBOS that will start in March (sorry to the hoard) -- you shouldn't have to be the last to cram in to a wet shelter full of hanging stuff or be forced to bivy under the picnic table -- by March you'll be in NC/TN (maybe VA if you move fast) and on cruise control."

Concur. I started in late Feb, not early Feb, and this was still true. I got into VA at the end of March with a Feb 25th start, FWIW. Stayed in shelters most of the time, always room in a hostel, motel rooms not all booked up, etc.

I think that the earlier you start, the more of a wild card the weather is, just tough to predict what you might run into. All things being equal, might be best to plan for relatively worse conditions, but in a sort of stageable way so that you can mail things home as they're no longer needed. So maybe a 10F or 15F sleeping bag rather than a zero degree bag but have a down parka that you can later swap for a lighter insulating layer --- that's the basic approach that worked for me, in any event.

One other thought about starting early: once on trail do post as-you-go-along conditions when possible, as you can be certain there will be a lot of eager soon-to-start hikers looking for information from someone who is actually "out there and doing it".

Mountain Mike
01-04-2012, 22:11
Just plan your cloths, sleeping system, fuel & food knowing a storm may delay things a bit. Snowstorm could make for slower travel... Fewer people, no green tunnel...enjoy! May see you out there.

DaSchwartz
01-05-2012, 02:13
Temps can and do fall below zero F in February, especially in the Smokies. And yes, they've done plenty of rescues in the Smokes in the winter due to snow and cold. They even have shut down the trail in the Smokies. Be prepared to spend a lot of nights at hostels or hotels... You can get stranded very easily during a snowstorm stuck in a shelter for days (yes, that happens). Or as others have mentioned, why not just wait until March, which can still be bitter cold some nights but it's much less likely then February.

Papa D
01-05-2012, 08:45
how many times have you thru-hiked starting 1 February?

Um, I've thru hiked once (SOBO) but I've hiked all of GA / NC in JANUARY and I've been on the trail a lot in February - I've post-holed 100s of miles on the AT and other trails in DEEP snow.

rocketsocks
01-05-2012, 10:37
I am a intermediate hiker that has great gear and am an athletic guy I was looking to start at Springer on February first and head north. I have done a good bit of research and am fairly certain I will be fine but this is an odd time to start this hike and I am a little nervous please give me advice and knowledge. Thanks so much.Hey if your dead set on the 1st of feb(ah hem,my b-day)go for it dude.You say you got some good gear,cool you just might get a chance to put it to the test.Bring extra cash,for hotel if you have to bail,let your family know what's going on(what your plan is).Bring extra food,and above all,have a great hike and God speed to you.

Rav4Ron
01-05-2012, 10:44
Give you an example. 2 days ago, (jan 3 2012) Springer was 10 degrees at night. Yesterday Springer was -2 degrees. Today 56 and tonight 36. It changes drastically this time of year for the next couple months.

Spokes
01-05-2012, 10:47
Yep, crazy weather in South lately. Starting in February? I'd worry about the black fly potential when you get to New England.

I always wonder why people want to start a NOBO thru in January or February. Is the compelling reason the fear of not making Baxter by the cut-off, the love of cold weather, or merely a scheduling mandate?

moldy
01-05-2012, 10:52
If I were to start a NOBO hike on that day, I would use the "dash and dive" method during the first 2 months. I would have someone I can call closely monitor the local weather and trail conditions. The idea here is to hike fast during periods of good weather and hole-up in a hotel or hostel during bad weather. I would also locate all possible egress points and cheap places to stay just in case the weather guy is wrong. About 2 weeks in you will encounter the GSMNP. This could be a problem that could require a longer than normal stay in a hotel or hostel. The GSMNP is a place where you can get trapped in deep snow and have few options. The South part of the park is a 4 day dash in good trail conditions and the North part 2 days. Wait for good weather then, "run Forrest run!". With all the up's and down's in the Southern Appalachians at this time of year, never sleep at high altitude when you can go a few miles further and be at a lower altitude. Huge difference between 5,000 and 2,000 feet in weather.

max patch
01-05-2012, 11:03
I always wonder why people want to start a NOBO thru in January or February. Is the compelling reason the fear of not making Baxter by the cut-off, the love of cold weather, or merely a scheduling mandate?

While there are few people who absolutely have to be done by a date certain, it is my strong opinion that fear is the reason for the really early starts. How long does it take to hike 2,200 miles? Until you've done it you really don't know. So some people start early just to make sure they are done by October.

Slo-go'en
01-05-2012, 12:02
While there are few people who absolutely have to be done by a date certain, it is my strong opinion that fear is the reason for the really early starts. How long does it take to hike 2,200 miles? Until you've done it you really don't know. So some people start early just to make sure they are done by October.

Which is ironic, since starting so early significantly reduces your chances of even getting out of North Carolina or takes so long, you don't gain that much over people who start a month later.

NO_Turtle
01-05-2012, 12:31
Good boots, gaitors, gloves, hand warmers(in the bag at night), a good book, a lot of extra money for hotels/hostels/food. Many people who leave early in the year end up going slow due to short days, snow, sleet, ice, and other inclement weather. People who leave a month later will catch you quicker than you think.

The trail is difficult in the best of conditions. Unless you have experience walking days in wet clothes in cold temperatures, and sleeping outdoors in 0-15 degree weather, with no place to get warm, I would not even consider February 1 as a departure date. The idea for me is to have a good time, not just to make the miles.

Old Boots
01-05-2012, 12:53
I am leaving Springer on 2/18 -- Let us know what you are experiencing. Good Luck