PDA

View Full Version : Pocket rocket windscreen

dshideler
01-04-2012, 13:34
Somewhere on here I saw someone make mention of a thread about a windscreen setup for a pocket rocket stove. I cant find where I saw it and when I search it shows me everything with the words pocket, rocket and windscreen in it. Can someone post a link to the thread itself. Thanks.

rjhouser
01-04-2012, 14:02
Maybe this?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00041.html

rocketsocks
01-04-2012, 14:11
Got a roc-ket in my poc-ket stay coo-ley cool boy,go man go,but not like a yo-yo school boy,just play it cool boy.....real cool. Sorry good tune though?

peakbagger
01-04-2012, 14:14
If it helps, I am the one who posted the photos a few years back. I dont have the pictures anymore but someone recently found the thread in a recent pocket rocket thread.

Papa D
01-04-2012, 20:45

My screen looks pretty much like this (a little more wrinkled and well loved though)

dshideler
01-04-2012, 21:07
Does this style work pretty good? Seems like it might work better if it had a bottom. Looks good though.

Freedom Walker
01-04-2012, 21:21
Somewhere on here I saw someone make mention of a thread about a windscreen setup for a pocket rocket stove. I cant find where I saw it and when I search it shows me everything with the words pocket, rocket and windscreen in it. Can someone post a link to the thread itself. Thanks.

There was a thread a week ago titled PocketRocket fuel that had some discussion about windy conditions. I don't know how to insert the link, so I will start it up again.

Bat321
01-05-2012, 00:45
My PR windscreen looks just like the one in the pic and it works great. I think if you put a bottom on it you would starve the flame of oxogen, plus it is just unnecessary. Made mine out of titanium foil I bought off eBay.

FamilyGuy
01-05-2012, 01:09
Make sure that you don't inadvertently overheat the canister. It will go boom.

hikin_jim
01-05-2012, 15:14
Make sure that you don't inadvertently overheat the canister. It will go boom.Definitely. Although in cold weather, the risk is really pretty low.

Here's my set up from Monday:

Just household aluminum foil. I used I think five sheets. I folded the edges together to hold everything together. I wrap it around my water bottle so it doesn't get beat to heck.

HJ

Jim Adams
01-05-2012, 15:23

that's why the bottom is open...to keep the cannister cool.

geek

el31415
09-24-2012, 23:04

That's just an urban myth.

el31415
09-24-2012, 23:06
It will not go boom but you may loose a limb or another part of your body.

Old Hiker
09-25-2012, 06:52
I use a piece of aluminum flashing that I got at the local hardware store. I had to buy a 10 foot roll. I cut the piece off, folded it into a "V" and taped the sharp edges with duct tape. It's been working for several years now. I didn't use it too much on my thru-attempt, though.

peakbagger
09-25-2012, 07:15
Long Ago I posted a thread with photos for pocket rocket windscreen but I dont have them on my current computer. I expect if you search my posts you may find it. It was similar to the picture in post five. It sticks about an inch below the pot so that I can just turn the stove valve when its sticking straight out. The height was determined by the height of my pot. I use stainless steel tig rod that is permanently attached to the stove support wings. They hang down when I set up the stove and the ends have a hook that lines up with three holes in the shield. I got a 30% increase in fuel economy. I attribute at least half the increase to being able to turn the stove way down, far lower than without a shield if there are any breezes around. When I would cook my Lipton meals, once I got a boil, I could turn the stove almost off and it kept simmering. The other half of the fuel economy is the chimney effect where all the heat is forced under and up the sides of the pot. The other major plus is that I can cook out on a picnic table in the open when there is breeze or wind present, without it ,I had to either burn a lot of fuel or find a spot out of the wind. My shield has a lock seam on it so that when I pull it out of the pot the springiness of the flashing keep the shield in a circle, but when I want to put it in the pot I can just collapse it.

I never saw any significant difference in tank surface temps. Definitely a good investment . By the way MSR used to offer a hanging version of the pocket rocket with a shield for moutaineering.

Don H
09-25-2012, 08:56

If you windscreen set up gets the canister too hot the canister can fail. Temps above 200 degrees are reaching the danger point.
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=832107219&t=9991140043&st=

Another likely failure is the Lindal valve melting. This can cause the stove to shut down or if the stove/canister seal fails too, it can cause a fuel leak and fire. This too can cause an explosion.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65243

And here's some good info:
Overheating gas Cartridges - Myths and Facts
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_StovesTech.htm#Hot