PDA

View Full Version : Springer to HogPen in FEB: Do I need to carry Crampons YackTrax or the like?

JustADude
01-04-2012, 13:37
I plan to hike from Springer (+approach) to Hogpen in mid-FEB. Are there any parts of the trail during that time where I'm likely to need Crampons YackTrax or the like?

Thanks for any feedback.

Stir Fry
01-04-2012, 18:52
In Feb. it woud not be a bad idea. There is a 50% chance you will have snow and/or ice.Some parts arround Allbert Mt. the trail is more or less on a ledge. You slip its a looooooooooog drop.

STICK
01-04-2012, 19:04
Some buddies and I will be doing Springer to Neels Gap weekend after next. I don't know what the conditions will be like but I plan to take my Microspikes just in case.

It can be so hard to determine what will be needed because the conditions can change pretty quickly. best bet would be to keep an eye on current conditions and forecasts all the way up to the day that you leave. At least you will have some clue. But, I would take something regardless.

Razor
01-04-2012, 21:29
Realize that Neal to Hog Pen is one of the most exposed section of the trail and will be the cold even on a warmer day this time of year .. Good luck and enjoy.. Maybe you can see the ice wall climbers @ Hog Pen.

ChinMusic
01-04-2012, 22:11
I plan to hike from Springer (+approach) to Hogpen in mid-FEB. Are there any parts of the trail during that time where I'm likely to need Crampons YackTrax or the like?

Unless you got a solid forecast saying warmer than usual conditions, I would bring some traction device. It doesn't take much ice to make you glad you brought it.

Sierra Echo
01-04-2012, 23:14
Blood Mtn can get really slick even after just rain! If there is a lot of ice up there you might end up taking
the express route to Neel Gap. On your arse!

generoll
01-04-2012, 23:30
You might need to plan on an extra day since the road, GA348 is frequently closed if the weather turns cold. If there's snow or ice they close the road and sometimes the ice will make the road impassable for a day or two.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 18:13
If you have both take them and decide at the Trailhead when you get the current conditions.