PDA

View Full Version : Best method to record trail journals?

msupple
01-04-2012, 15:04
I'd like to keep family and friends abreast of our thru hike this year. What is the most current (read...easiest) method of sending info from the trail to the on-line journal? Is something like Trail Journals the best recording site or would something like facebook be more appropriate? Right now all I have that I would be willing to carry is a Droid Smartphone which is a hassle for me to type on. It doesn't have replaceable batteries which means frequent recharging.

Thanks

Spokes
01-04-2012, 15:21
I like trailjournals. It has a more polished feel and is easier to read and navigate than say Postholer (way too plain Jane for my taste).

Think multiple communications methods- written, YouTube clips, audio, even tweets to appeal to a wide audience in your journal. When I thru'd in 2009 I didn't carry a smartphone so I mailed my daily written entries and camera memory cards home to a friend who acted as my trailjournals transcriber whenever I got into a trail town. It worked remarkably well.

I got more positive comments on my audio updates I kept through a free service at Trail Phone (www.trailphone.net). Just sign up, then call in to a toll free number, record, and post. Embedding the link wasn't too difficult either.

Oh, responding to comments from readers also helps build the hit count...... You'll be amazed at the word-of-mouth following you'll accumulate. Gave me lots of extra motivation.

Cheers.

leaftye
01-04-2012, 15:28
I think the easiest for a hiker would be an audio journal...just don't ask me how to share that.

msupple
01-04-2012, 17:36
I like trailjournals. It has a more polished feel and is easier to read and navigate than say Postholer (way too plain Jane for my taste).

Think multiple communications methods- written, YouTube clips, audio, even tweets to appeal to a wide audience in your journal. When I thru'd in 2009 I didn't carry a smartphone so I mailed my daily written entries and camera memory cards home to a friend who acted as my trailjournals transcriber whenever I got into a trail town. It worked remarkably well.

I got more positive comments on my audio updates I kept through a free service at Trail Phone (http://www.trailphone.net). Just sign up, then call in to a toll free number, record, and post. Embedding the link wasn't too difficult either.

Oh, responding to comments from readers also helps build the hit count...... You'll be amazed at the word-of-mouth following you'll accumulate. Gave me lots of extra motivation.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip on Trail Phones...that just might be the ticket. I listened to some of your posts. The voices come across very clear. I'll look into trail journals.

Miner
01-04-2012, 17:53
I prefer Postholer.com over Trail Journals. You can send emails to add an entry from your phone and include a photo with it. Much easier to update from the trail.

leaftye
01-04-2012, 18:35
I prefer Postholer.com over Trail Journals. You can send emails to add an entry from your phone and include a photo with it. Much easier to update from the trail.

I prefer Postholer for the same reason. It'd be really nice if Scott worked with Trailphone to integrate voicemail entries into journals, or come up with a similar feature. That would cost money though.

Old Boots
01-04-2012, 19:18
I plan on using my I phone. Using Dragon, I can dictate my journal and then transfer to notes which I can e-mail them home. You should be able to download Dragon {it is a free app}.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2012, 19:49
I have google blogger and am pretty happy with the whole Google +. You can remotely store photos in this cloud thing or via Picasa. Im still trying to get a handle on it but its working so far if you have everything hooked in through gmail and what not. Pictures and post will appear anywhere you want to put them when you get a signal, may just tweak the battery a little. I can see an iPhone being ideal now because of the whole iCloud and such. Sharing would just require a 20 minute 3G signal Im thinking.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2012, 19:50
I plan on using my I phone. Using Dragon, I can dictate my journal and then transfer to notes which I can e-mail them home. You should be able to download Dragon {it is a free app}.
Don't the 4S have it already in it?

Awol1970
01-04-2012, 19:59
the iPhone 4s has siri

leaftye
01-04-2012, 20:09

Can you record your message and then have it convert to text on its own? That would be nice because it would keep the journal thoughts flowing fluidly, but not so much if I have to correct mistakes before moving on.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2012, 20:18
Isnt it a ghostwriter kinda thing too?

LDog
01-04-2012, 21:05
I have the Blogger app on my HTC Incredible 2 droid. That, combined with the swype keyboard, allows pretty good entry and the ability to upload photos/videos. Set up friends and family as subscribers, and they get an email when you post.

handlebar
01-04-2012, 23:16
I've been using the Notepad app on my iPHone to write my journals every night in camp after dinner. When I get to town, or to anywhere with enough cell signal, I cut and past from notepad to my Trailjournals journal. Works much better than the Pocketmail I was using in '06. A plus for Postholer is the ease of downloading a photo from the iPhone, though I never did use it.

Stats 2012
01-05-2012, 00:45
I plan on using my I phone. Using Dragon, I can dictate my journal and then transfer to notes which I can e-mail them home. You should be able to download Dragon {it is a free app}.I thought about that too, but sadly Dragon won't work away from the cloud (network) - the voice recognition software resides online which will be inaccessible over much of the trail. Furthermore it would suck the life out of the battery. I'm fairly certain that Siri has the same issues. I'm planning to continue to use Blogspot for my blog. I was just going to use the Office word processor on my Droid and copy and paste my text into the website. any thoughts?