PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Thru Hike Gear List

rjhouser
01-04-2012, 16:20
I'm planning on starting NOBO May 4th. Right now I'm at 11.54 lbs base weight. I would like to get under 10. My gear list can be found here:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5517

I tried to include literally everything. Odds are if it's not there it's not because I forgot it, it's because I've deemed it unnecessary in an attempt to save weight (ex: camp shoes). However, there may be something I'm leaving out. Any advice or input is welcome, my longest trip so far was a 3 day shakedown so I'm still somewhat of a newbie. Thanks!

STICK
01-04-2012, 17:04
The list looks pretty good, and I am sure that as you go along the contents of your pack will change (lighten). At least though you are starting with a pretty lightweight pack to begin with though. I was just suggest to get as familiar with everything that you have as much as you can before you head out. A few questions though...

Why are you carrying your Visa? Wouldn't your license be enough?

Do you have to carry an extra battery for your phone? Are you planning on using your phone often enough to warrant extra batteries?

Are you using a bounce box? The phone charger may be a good thing to bounce, especially if you are carrying an extra battery (or vice-versa). Or you can bounce both and save 4 oz.

I see that you are carrying 3 AAA batteries, but for what? Maybe I missed it?

I also see that you are using a trash compactor bag for a liner, but also are using 2 dry sacks. I assume one is for you bag and the other clothes? If so, you can probably get by without the trash compactor bag. (Although, IMO a little extra rain protection is a good idea.)

For your shelter, I assume that you are carrying trekking poles?

rjhouser
01-04-2012, 17:43
Visa as in debit card.
I'm not really planning on using my phone for anything on the trail other than updating my trail journal, checking weather and calling home occasionally. Other than that it should be off most of the time or at least in airplane mode. I have heard the Droid 3 battery life is pretty bad though. Dropping that extra battery might be something I look into however.
Wasn't planning on carrying a bounce box but I see how that could help lighten my pack.
3 AAA batteries for my headlamp.
Yes, one dry sack for my bag and the other for clothes. Other things like my pad and cookware aren't in the dry sacks but I guess keeping those completely dry isn't really a necessity. I'll look into that.
Yes I'm carrying trecking poles, Leki super makulu. I didn't list them because I was just focusing on contents of the pack and plan on using them at all times. Still I need to make an all-inclusive list at some point I suppose.
Thanks for your input!

STICK
01-04-2012, 20:38
My responses are in bold...

Visa as in debit card.

Gotcha...

I'm not really planning on using my phone for anything on the trail other than updating my trail journal, checking weather and calling home occasionally. Other than that it should be off most of the time or at least in airplane mode. I have heard the Droid 3 battery life is pretty bad though. Dropping that extra battery might be something I look into however.

I don't know about you but I absolutely hate typing up much at all on phones (especially the touch screen). It is a PITA and takes forever, which means it's draining battery. Although I am not so sure about what other options there may be to update the Trail Journals. When I get to do my thru I plan on simply carrying a camera and video journaling the trip. I will simply mail SD cards back to my wife where she can upload them and update my blog for me. As far as weather, as often as you should come to a town you should be able to get forecasts and then get updates from others on the trail. IMO, I have spent far too much time and battery on the trail trying to get a good enough signal to get a weather forecast. Some places is easier than others, but still I have quit wasting my time and battery life. Instead, I would rather use that battery to listen to music on occasion! :)

Wasn't planning on carrying a bounce box but I see how that could help lighten my pack.

It seems that some have mixed feelings concerning bounce boxes due to the fact that they are trying to be somewhere at a certain time to get their stuff. It seems like a good idea, but it may be one of those things that you would just have to try once you start and make up your mind about it on the trail. I am sure others will chime in with some good info about this too.

3 AAA batteries for my headlamp.

Another gotcha...

Yes, one dry sack for my bag and the other for clothes. Other things like my pad and cookware aren't in the dry sacks but I guess keeping those completely dry isn't really a necessity. I'll look into that.

Like I said, I don't mind a little extra to try and keep things dry. To be honest, I love using a pack liner and a pack cover (but this is definitely a mixed issue with some!) With a full size pack liner, everything will stay dry which I admit is kinda nice. Although, I have recently picked up some cuben dry sacks and will give them a try.

Yes I'm carrying trecking poles, Leki super makulu. I didn't list them because I was just focusing on contents of the pack and plan on using them at all times. Still I need to make an all-inclusive list at some point I suppose.

I figured it was on a separate list. But yes, an all inclusive list is nice. Here is an example of one of mine that I will be using for a hike weekend after next, which is also all-inclusive:

January 2012 AT Hike (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqh886ycFM9kdHpKZHZ3NFRsaGctX2Zod3k3ZlJ0Q Xc)

Thanks for your input!