PDA

View Full Version : Refined NOBO Gear List (Depart 4/24) - Less than half the weight of original list

RWheeler
01-04-2012, 18:08
I can't believe how much change I've made over my initial gear list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?76868-My-early-gear-list...&highlight=). I pretty much tore it to the ground

Pack: GoLite Jam (compactor bag liner)
Tent: Tarptent Contrail
Sleeping Bag: REI Lumen +25 (synthetic, just shy of 3lbs unfortunately)
Pad: Z-Rest
Guide: AWOL's 2012 NOBO Guide (I want to carry the whole thing with me, or try to)

Underwear: 2 pair C9 compression underwear, 1 pair long EMS baselayer
Tops: 2 Stoic merino wool tees, 1 longsleeve poly top
Socks: 2 pair ankle socks with extra arch support (not cotton), 1 pair midweight wool socks... should I sub something out for a pair of Smartwool liners?
Bottoms: I'll probably take a simple pair of athletic shorts, throw the EMS underwear on if it's an especially chilly day... and I think that's it? I also have a pair of REI softshell pants I could take, so open to opinions on the necessity of bringing another bottom clothing
Insulation Layer: Mid-ish weight Columbia fleece
Rain Shell: Sierra Designs Hurricane jacket
Headwear: Wool beanie, a common bandanna
Gloves: REI Thermo Glove
Footwear: La Sportiva Wildcat Trailrunners
Trekking Pokes: LEKI Corklite

Stove: Pennystove, haven't decided on a windscreen/pot stand method yet, but will likely be based off of this (http://zenstoves.net/PotStands.htm#WindScreen-PotStand)
Fuel: alcohol... probably in an old soda bottle or some other kind of bottle 10-12oz?
Pick up a Bic Mini (along with the fuel) after the airport to save the hassle.
Pot/Mug: GSI Minimalist (.6L)
Spork: Snowpeak (Ti)
Water Purification: Aquamira drops
Water Containers: 4L Platypus bag for camp water/cleaning/etc, 2 Gatorade bottles for on-trail

Headlamp: Petzl Tikka Plus 2 (with spare batteries)
Multitool: Leatherman Juice S2 (I like it because of the scissors, so I can open things easier and also trim my nails)
Camera: Sony DSC-W560 (126g with battery and charger; also a StickPic to mount it to my trekking pole)
Cell Phone: LG 500G Tracfone (+charger)
Journal + mechanical pencil (I won't use a pen in case it gets wet, so it won't run, ad figure mechanical so I don't need to sharpen it? although I could whittle when needed...)
Up in the air about an MP3 player... if I do, it'd probably be one to run on AAA batteries and also has a radio, but I'm still not thinking I'll take one

2 Outdoor Research Hydroseal stuff sacks - one to store clothes in to keep them dry, one for food
Haven't picked one up yet, but I also need to get a dry bag for the sleeping bag. Probably Seat to Summit Ultra-Sil, as it seems to be a regularly suggested sack for a sleeping bag.

Wallet (don't like the idea of storing cash + cards in a Ziplock), license, debit card, 1 credit card(?), insurance info, emergency contacts
Duct tape (haven't decided what I want to wrap it around yet)
Toothbrush & toothpaste
TP... crush it and stuff it in a plastic bag, right?
"First aid" - haven't really refined this yet, but I know some ibuprofin, some digestive things, safety pin to stabbystab blisters... bandaids...

If I'm missing anything, it's probably because I forgot. My estimate puts me somewhere around 13lbs before food/water. Obviously the weight of the sleeping bag is making that number a bit higher than it could be... I just can't really get myself to spend another few hundred dollars on a new bag when this one should do what I need it to do.

msupple
01-04-2012, 20:58
The one thing that jumped out at me was the Leatherman Juice. That thing weighs a ton. There are many other choices that include scissors and are much lighter.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2012, 21:09
Ya kinow, I always see people asking about putting their alcohol in a water bottle, and worrying about if whatever bottle they use is okay with alcohol in it, if it is rugged enough, etc, but the 12oz yellow HEET bottle is a lot more rugged, definitely designed for the purpose, and weighs exactly 1 oz empty.

Chummin' for Bear
01-04-2012, 21:20
Good looking list. I agree with the above post, just get a 1 oz swiss army knife or something similar. Probably should take soft sheel pants or another pair of long underwear/tights. Otherwise imagine hiking in 35 degree rain all day in EMS underware with shorts over them. What will you wear in camp and to sleep in? Consider adding a down vest or another insulation layer for your top. I never leave home without earplugs - weigh nothing and helps with snorers in shelters. You will need to add some para cord for hanging your food at night. What about a map and/or watch? Again, very good looking list and I would be most concerned about being cold with 25 degree bag and not a lot of insulation layers. Great job. Enjoy your hike.

RWheeler
01-04-2012, 21:26
The one thing that jumped out at me was the Leatherman Juice. That thing weighs a ton. There are many other choices that include scissors and are much lighter.

I wouldn't consider 4oz a ton. Sure, there may be things way lighter, but I feel I've taken enough weight out of other areas of my pack where I can be ok using a knife that I'm very fond of.

Ya kinow, I always see people asking about putting their alcohol in a water bottle, and worrying about if whatever bottle they use is okay with alcohol in it, if it is rugged enough, etc, but the 12oz yellow HEET bottle is a lot more rugged, definitely designed for the purpose, and weighs exactly 1 oz empty.

I had considered carrying it in that bottle, since, you know, I'd get it whenever I bought a bottle of it anyway. So I'll probably go that route. Although I've also see another poster (I forget who it was exactly) saying that a 12oz Tropicana bottle is very durable and good for fuel. I'm assuming it's the more "square" bottles, so I may look into that. The added perk of using once bottle would make that bottle a good candidate to wrap all my duct tape around.

I'm also testing the leakiness of a bottle that a friend gave me that's kinda similar to a diner ketchup bottle. Not too sure it's gonna cut it, though. It would make dispensing that much easier, though.

RWheeler
01-04-2012, 21:37
Good looking list. I agree with the above post, just get a 1 oz swiss army knife or something similar. Probably should take soft sheel pants or another pair of long underwear/tights. Otherwise imagine hiking in 35 degree rain all day in EMS underware with shorts over them. What will you wear in camp and to sleep in? Consider adding a down vest or another insulation layer for your top. I never leave home without earplugs - weigh nothing and helps with snorers in shelters. You will need to add some para cord for hanging your food at night. What about a map and/or watch? Again, very good looking list and I would be most concerned about being cold with 25 degree bag and not a lot of insulation layers. Great job. Enjoy your hike.

I'll toss the soft shell in there.
The only "lofty" jackets I have currently are two Outdoor Research jackets: Highpoint, and a Chaos parka. They don't pack down very well, and they're both around 27oz. At this point, I don't think I'd take either of them, but I don't really know what to get instead. Any suggestions on where to look?
I could grab some earplugs, no problem with that. Thanks for the reminder!
I do have cord, I just forgot to list it, doy!
Not taking maps, I'm just going to use the guidebook.
I didn't think I'd need to bring a watch for me - what are the reasons for it, really? I know "telling time", but what would I need to tell the time for while on the trail?

Blissful
01-04-2012, 23:06
Not taking maps is not wise. If you are doing it to limit weight, not a good excuse...esp if you'd rather care a lofty knife out of fondness.

quart size Ziploc (get the brand not a cheap version) works fine for a wallet, I used it for 3,000 miles but did replace every so often, easy to stow in your pocket for town

Sandisk MP3 worked well for me both ways. Cheap and light, runs on one AAA

DEET?

Unfortunately with the backpack, a synthetic bag is tough to condense to smaller weight. And really heavy. You'll be wanting another one on the trail, guaranteed. I believe sleep is very important so I spend money on a bag that is light, comfortable, roomie but fits well in my pack. No sleep - easier to get hurt

Papa D
01-04-2012, 23:18
The one thing that jumped out at me was the Leatherman Juice. That thing weighs a ton. There are many other choices that include scissors and are much lighter.Agreed - if you really want scissors, Pack a tiny pair of manicure scissors

jacquelineanngrant
01-05-2012, 13:55
I'll toss the soft shell in there.
The only "lofty" jackets I have currently are two Outdoor Research jackets: Highpoint, and a Chaos parka. They don't pack down very well, and they're both around 27oz. At this point, I don't think I'd take either of them, but I don't really know what to get instead. Any suggestions on where to look?
I could grab some earplugs, no problem with that. Thanks for the reminder!
I do have cord, I just forgot to list it, doy!
Not taking maps, I'm just going to use the guidebook.
I didn't think I'd need to bring a watch for me - what are the reasons for it, really? I know "telling time", but what would I need to tell the time for while on the trail? Montbell down jackets are warm and very compressable (not sure thats spelled right). I own the Jam myself and it is a fairly small pack, the lack of support gave me a lot of shoulder pain on my thru in 2010 so I'm using the quest this year. Looks like a good list. Good luck and have fun!!

burger
01-05-2012, 14:04
As for the HEET bottle, I carried one of those for a few days once, and it leaked all over. Use a 12-oz juice or soda bottle--same weight and virtually leakproof.

Jefe
01-05-2012, 14:39
Wrap your duct tape around your treking poles.

BrianLe
01-05-2012, 14:54
"As for the HEET bottle, I carried one of those for a few days once, and it leaked all over. Use a 12-oz juice or soda bottle--same weight and virtually leakproof. "

+1. For me, as I recall, it was a problem about pouring from those --- it's been too long now to remember for certain, but for whatever reason I also tend to use a fairly tough 12-oz size juice bottle because it's a type and size that I don't use for drinking.

Creek Dancer
01-05-2012, 15:21
I also use a tough bottle that doesn't crush from the pressure of the contents of my pack. This will help prevent the thing from leaking. And I also carry it on the outside of my pack if there is room as an extra precaution. I learned this the hard way. :)

RWheeler
01-05-2012, 15:40
As for the HEET bottle, I carried one of those for a few days once, and it leaked all over. Use a 12-oz juice or soda bottle--same weight and virtually leakproof.

+1. For me, as I recall, it was a problem about pouring from those --- it's been too long now to remember for certain, but for whatever reason I also tend to use a fairly tough 12-oz size juice bottle because it's a type and size that I don't use for drinking.

I'm thinking something like these bottles (http://simoneysavers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tropicana-coupon1-261x300.jpg)? That's what came to my mind first, anyway. I had to move pallets of them at work, before, and dropped a whole case from about 8' up. Not a single bottle as much as cracked. Since they're so different from Gatorade or soda bottles, it'll also cut down on any potential mishap there, too. Plus, the cap may serve as a convenient measure for how much fuel I'd need. Or not, haven't tried yet...

Not taking maps is not wise. If you are doing it to limit weight, not a good excuse...esp if you'd rather care a lofty knife out of fondness.

quart size Ziploc (get the brand not a cheap version) works fine for a wallet, I used it for 3,000 miles but did replace every so often, easy to stow in your pocket for town

Sandisk MP3 worked well for me both ways. Cheap and light, runs on one AAA

DEET?

Unfortunately with the backpack, a synthetic bag is tough to condense to smaller weight. And really heavy. You'll be wanting another one on the trail, guaranteed. I believe sleep is very important so I spend money on a bag that is light, comfortable, roomie but fits well in my pack. No sleep - easier to get hurt

I was under the presumption that maps aren't necessary on a thru if taking a companion/guide/etc? I'll still probably take the map for the Smokies, and then my maps for Maine once I get far enough, but other than that, most accounts I've heard pretty much declared them not a required piece of gear. I'm open for the reasoning, though, for sure.

I forgot about DEET. I guess I automatically shifted myself away from thinking about it since I tend to lump it together with sunscreen (which from what I hear, is completely unnecessary due to the tunnel). That'll be something I grab after my flight lands, though, because TSA will most likely toss it.

As for the sleeping bag, yeah, I should probably get one... I'm generally a warm sleeper, and with my layers listed above, I was leaning towards a WM Highlite. Even though that's still a sub-$300 bag, it's kinda hard for me to completely justify it. I'm also looking at a Lafuma bag (Warm n Light 800), rated at 30 degrees. Opinions on those bags?

RWheeler
01-05-2012, 15:42
I also use a tough bottle that doesn't crush from the pressure of the contents of my pack. This will help prevent the thing from leaking. And I also carry it on the outside of my pack if there is room as an extra precaution. I learned this the hard way. :)

I was most likely going to carry mine on the outside of the pack as well, in one of my pockets. Was also thinking of keeping my pack cover in that same pocket. I only grab with my right arm to get a bottle to drink from while hiking, so if I pack it on the left, I shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks for the point, though!

Blissful
01-05-2012, 16:25
I was under the presumption that maps aren't necessary on a thru if taking a companion/guide/etc? I'll still probably take the map for the Smokies, and then my maps for Maine once I get far enough, but other than that, most accounts I've heard pretty much declared them not a required piece of gear. I'm open for the reasoning, though, for sure.

Please do a search about this from the forums - its been debated a lot. I assume though if you've read all kinds of accounts against them then you must have read accounts for it and the reasoning why - suffice it to say - I know Shenandoah like the back of my hand, there are posts to show the way but I still ALWAYS carry the map for the section I am in anyway. One never knows, and do you really want to take a chance if you or your hiking bud gets injured, you need to find a campsite, water that is not a beaver pond outlet to make you sick and you are in a drought situation, the nearest road crossing that may be a dirt road not in your guidebook, bail out point whatever...or all the blazes show white b/c you are in PA State game lands...

But that does make me want to blog about it - :)

Blissful
01-05-2012, 16:27
I forgot about DEET. That'll be something I grab after my flight lands, though, because TSA will most likely toss it.

Not true if it's in your checked bag (mine went through just fine) or is less than the required ounces and in a clear ziploc.

Blissful
01-05-2012, 16:30
As for the sleeping bag, yeah, I should probably get one... I'm generally a warm sleeper, and with my layers listed above, I was leaning towards a WM Highlite. Even though that's still a sub-$300 bag, it's kinda hard for me to completely justify it. I'm also looking at a Lafuma bag (Warm n Light 800), rated at 30 degrees. Opinions on those bags?

Lafuma is not a good bag, imo - add 10 degrees to the temp rating (30 acts like a 40. My hubby had a 40 degree and froze). WM is the cadillac bag (I still haven't coughed up the $$ for that one). I have a Montbell hugger and love it. Great bag. I have also heard good things about Campmor's down 20 degree bag if you are watching $$, but I have never used one

garlic08
01-05-2012, 17:29
With that late a departure, you should be fine with the bag and and the bottoms you have. If you do get soaked in a cold all-day rain (and that could happen into May), you can hike until evening then get in your bag and forget about sitting around camp the day or two that happens. If you're committed to going as light as you are, you're bound to hike a little differently than when you carried twice as much. It sounds like you're on the way to a good light load.

I also say cut the ties, so to speak, to the 4 oz knife. A single blade, nail clippers, and tweezers is all I've ever needed.

If you're confident in your ability to follow 82,000 white blazes in the right direction, you won't need maps. It's a very old argument and you will not find a resolution here. I did fine with just a guide book. The few times I got confused at a summit or road crossing, hiking 200 feet in each direction to find the next blaze was quicker than pulling out maps, especially in rain. The exception for me was in the White Mts, where I had to follow trail signs, not blazes, and know where the trail was going. It wasn't that hard. You might carry state maps like the AAA road maps, which can help for overall orientation, town locations, road walk detours, and bailout. If you find yourself having problems keeping on the trail, or are getting nervous about not having maps, buy a set of maps by all means. Besides the weight, and fuss of resupplying, the cost of maps would have exceeded 10% of my hiking budget--not negligible to me. There is no other trail I've ever seen that I would hike without maps, by the way. The AT is exceptional in that regard.

stonedflea
01-05-2012, 23:37
i will add this about maps... it's a personal decision, of course, but i was hiking with a friend over pleasant pond mountain this year when he tripped and fell. the result was an injury that pulled him off the trail for good, and instead of having to hike the neext six miles to the road, he was able to bail off a side trail that was visible on his map... the AT guide simply says there is a side trail; it gives no reference to where it may lead.the same situation happened to me when my dog's toenails began bleeding again in maine. rather than hike the 16 miles or so into town, i met a local on top of a mountain who was out for the weekend and happened to ahve maps. i was able to look at his maps and give miss j an accurate location where she could pick us up. i guess my point is that no, you don't need maps on a perfect hike. but if something goes wrong, it's a good thing to know what other options you may have. :)