PDA

View Full Version : Section hike?

DirtyDiggins
01-04-2012, 20:20
I have never hiked on the AT before and am planning on starting with a section hike this year. Anyone have a favorite stretch? Lookin' to do about 100 miles of moderate terrain.

Hikes in Rain
01-04-2012, 20:30
One particulary nice section is from Davenport Gap (just north of the Smokies) to Erwin. Hot Springs, NC, is a couple of days north, with places to eat, stay, shower and resupply. Lots of bald mountain tops, good parking at either end, killer views everywhere.

Papa D
01-04-2012, 20:42
What time of year? That's key to your ques.

ekeverette
01-04-2012, 20:46
shenandoah nat. park..... 101 miles long. not to difficult.... geat huts...

bigcranky
01-04-2012, 22:35
Nothing wrong with beginning at the beginning - start at Springer Mountain, GA, and hike northbound. Depending on how long you have, you could hike to Franklin, NC, which would be about 100 miles if I recall correctly.

If you want really moderate terrain, then Shenandoah makes a nice section.

Blissful
01-04-2012, 22:55
First time out? I'd do Shenanodah to start. But try to go in April - better views, less people

Cookerhiker
01-04-2012, 23:08
All of the above suggestions are good ones. Another to consider is Central Virginia Pearisburg to Daleville - about 93 miles, all on the west side of I-81. I recommend hiking in the second half of April for the views and early wildflowers.

Tinker
01-04-2012, 23:17
You say you haven't hiked on the AT before and that you want to hike about 100 moderate miles.

Another question - how many miles have you hiked on other trails and what were they?

If you like swimming I'd suggest Maine or Vt. although Maine has some very tough sections and the resupply points can be far apart. The southern part of the AT in Vermont is moderate and there are several places to hitch to resupply and, as mentioned above, good swimming.

daddytwosticks
01-05-2012, 08:19
First time section hiking the AT? I'd try to limit my trip to a shorter distance, closer to your home, and definitely on a more moderate section. Good luck and have a great hike. :)

Papa D
01-05-2012, 08:30
You say you haven't hiked on the AT before and that you want to hike about 100 moderate miles.

Another question - how many miles have you hiked on other trails and what were they?

TInker makes a good point here - a 100 mile hike is cake to a lot of Whiteblazers but 100 mile hike can also be a heckuva long hike to someone new (moderate or not)

DirtyDiggins
01-05-2012, 08:41
Thanks for all of that guys! I like a challenge and I will feel no shame in crapping out early if I need to. I really have never hiked a distance hike really at all before. I've done short backpacking trips before on very harsh terrain. I will look into the Shenandoah stretches. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Agn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=CpoFT_DWLMiKgwe9scWTAg&ved=0CCIQvwUoAQ&q=shenandoah&spell=1)

Lone Wolf
01-05-2012, 08:46
shenandoah nat. park..... 101 miles long. not to difficult.... geat huts...

First time out? I'd do Shenanodah to start. But try to go in April - better views, less peoplei suggest this too

Lone Wolf
01-05-2012, 08:47
Thanks for all of that guys! I like a challenge and I will feel no shame in crapping out early if I need to. I really have never hiked a distance hike really at all before. I've done short backpacking trips before on very harsh terrain. I will look into the Shenandoah stretches. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Agn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=CpoFT_DWLMiKgwe9scWTAg&ved=0CCIQvwUoAQ&q=shenandoah&spell=1)plenty of folks start at springer mtn. having never hiked before. don't listen to naysayers. it's just walkin'

shelb
01-05-2012, 21:54
This past summer, I took my 12 year old and a friend with her 13 year old for 110 through the SNP. Both my friend and her son only had flatlander experience. Believe me, hiking the AT is a whole lot different than the dunes of Michigan! Honestly, it was agony for them both the first 2 days. After that, they gained confidence with the knowledge that success was in the mind-set, and they did fine. We took 9 days to go from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal. I wish now we had done two things differently: (1) planned for a zero or nero day. (2) not take 8 days of food with us! There are plenty of ways to resupply on basics if you hike in the summer. We went in July. I didn't feel it was crowded. While we usually shared the shelters with another person, we did have a couple to ourselves.

LIhikers
01-06-2012, 11:23
How are you planning to get to the AT from MN?
If you'll be driving then where you go is just a matter of time and miles.
If you'll be flying and then need public transportation, or a shuttle, it might be a different story and may limit what sections you consider.

RWheeler
01-06-2012, 12:15
I've always been a fan of the CT/MA sections, but the resupply can be kinda pricey in this stretch compared to others. Don't know what you're looking for when you say "moderate" though.

SNP would be a good spot to hike, though.

jtower47
01-07-2012, 10:34
I am planning my first section hike on the AT this summer and have about ten days available in early/mid June. I am an experienced backpacker but am relatively unfamiliar with the AT. I was looking at two sections of the trail specifically and would love some advice about which to hike. The first section is Delaware Water Gap to Bear Mountain, NY while the other would be Kent, CT to North Adams, MA. Both look to be about 7-8 days hike. Any advice on which to select?

harriey von alkier
01-16-2012, 20:48
I like to start the first week in April,going from Daleville to Harpers Ferry. Do you think it is OK? not to much snow any where?.not just this year I am talking general. Jette

Kerosene
01-17-2012, 10:36
I like to start the first week in April,going from Daleville to Harpers Ferry. Do you think it is OK? not to much snow any where?.not just this year I am talking general. JetteThere's always the possibility that you will run into some snow from a passing April storm. A bigger issue might be blowdowns, as the trail maintaining club may not have had a chance to clear the trail that early in the season.
My first 3 section hikes were in April: NJ in '73; Central PA in '74; MA/CT in '75. We dealt with freezing rain and light snow in Central PA. There were 1-2 foot drifts on the north slopes in MA/CT in April 1975. Overall we did pretty well, especially considering that we didn't know much about backpacking.

harriey von alkier
01-19-2012, 14:07
Thank you, I am torn between Springer Mt-Erwin or Daleville-Harpers Ferry. Like to start about April 4th