PDA

View Full Version : NOBO 2012 Gear List - Open to suggestions for additions / omissions...

Ptenwal
01-04-2012, 21:40
Hey there's...

This is my typical backpacking gear list for a 2-5 night trip, and I wonder how it may be tailored for an attempted thru-hike:
*Indicates gear that I might eliminate due to luxury / weight / redundancy.

Gear
Pack: Md. Osprey Aether 70 - 4lb 9oz
Pack Cover: Md. Osprey - 4oz
Tent: Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1- 2lb 12oz
Bag:
-20 Degree Long North Face Cats Meow - 3lb
-45 Degree Long Mountain Hardware Lamina - 1lb 14oz
-20 Degree liner - Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme - 14oz
Pad: Long Therm-A-Rest Neo Air UL - 1lb 3oz
Pillow: Exped Air Pillow - 3oz
*Seat: Therm-A-Rest - 3oz
Stove: Brunton Raptor - 5oz
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro - 11oz
Pot & Lid: GSI Pinnacle Soloist - 5 oz
Mug: Snow Peak 600 ml. double wall - 4oz
Spork: Snow Peak - .6oz
Knife: Columbia River M16 10oz - 2.3oz
Headlamp: Petzel Tikka XP 2 - 3oz
Trekking Poles: Black Diamond FL Z-Pole - 15.7oz
*Back Up Light: Gerber Tempo - 1oz
Compass: Brunton 7DNL - 1oz
Towel: Lg. MSR - 4oz
Platypus: 1 L. - 1oz
*Nalgene: 1L. - 3.5oz

Approx. Gear Total Weight =16.75 lbs

Clothing
Shell Jacket: Arc'teryx Theata AR - 17.5oz
Shell Pants: Mountain Hardwear Typhoon - 10oz
Insulation Jacket:Mountain Hardwear Compressor - 17oz
Insulation Pants: Marmot Power Stretch - 7oz
Shell Gloves: Mountain Hardwear Epic Glove - ?oz
Liner Gloves: Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch - ?oz
Gaiters: OR Flex-Tex - 4.2oz
Boots: Asolo Power Matic 200GV - 3.12oz
Hat: RVCA Insulated + Brim
Rain Hat: Marmot Precip Baseball Cap

Approx. Total Outerwear Weight= 7.5 lbs

I only listed my gear & outerwear...I am by no means "ultralight" but the gear I carry is somewhat essential to my happiness will spending an extended time walking, eating, and sleeping in the woods. I try to by quality gear that lasts, and have thus far been extremely pleased with a majority of my purchases. My only regret was the 20d. Cats Meow (It's a bit heavy and bulky, I should have gone with a down bag but I stuck to my budget at the time).

Approx. Total Gear Weight = 24.25 lbs

Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions about specific gear. I plan on attempting my thru-hike starting in March and have been working to get things trimmed down and organized for the long walk.

Thanks,

Paul

RWheeler
01-04-2012, 21:52
Use a stuff sack with your insulation layer in lieu of pillow?

Sub pack towel for bandanna?

I think the other things you've marked good to ditch.

Just my opinion, though, so take it as you will :D

RWheeler
01-04-2012, 21:54
Also, 25lbs seems very high before you factor in weight of food and such, but you'll have to completely replace a few different things to really make a dent on that.

tuswm
01-04-2012, 22:48
This is just how I would pack given your gear closet.
2 sleeping bags and a liner? I guess you plan on switching at some point? I would just take the warmer one and wear cloths to bed. leave the liner at home.
a seat and a pillow? I used a seat for a seat and a pillow then switched to clothes in a stuff sack and or my pack, then I take a small sheet of foam I can use to cook on or sit on, found it in a computer box >1oz
I wouldnt bother taking a mug and a cooking pot
you dont need compass on the AT its like being on I 95

That is getting your close to 4 lbs lighter

then when it gets warmer you will be sending a lot of cold weather gear home, I dont bother with as many clothes as you do but I would rather ship stuff home then get there and wish I had more clothes.

Chaco Taco
01-04-2012, 23:43
ditch the water filter and go with aqua mira, you probably will eventually anyway. Wont need the compass, there are blazes every 50 feet. Leave the mug, only need a pot, the mug is overkill when you have a nalgene and a pot. leave the shell gloves, why carry 2 pairs of gloves? Leave the hats, you have a hood or at least leave one of them. With your pants, get shorts or convertible shorts, you will roast in Virginia. leave the back up light, why carry an extra? Make sure your primary is good and rely on it, don't carry extras of stuff, thats what bounce boxes are for. Honestly, taking neo air is, in my opinion over kill also. Why take such a nice pad that will either pop or need excessive repair after long term wear and tear, get a Zlite, strap it on your pack and roll. I carried a thermarest and kept having to repair it or just sleeping on it and it deflating. Went with a z lite

TOMP
01-05-2012, 00:31
I am also thru-hiking this year and have about the same 25 lbs that you have at this point. I've listed a few ounce savers you might want to trade for. I deleted gear that I dont have comments about and Im not suggesting you shouldnt use it. Also my list is in the 2012 class area if you want to comment.

Gear
-20 Degree liner - Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme - 14oz trade for sea to summit thermolite liner 2.8 oz
Pad: Long Therm-A-Rest Neo Air UL - 1lb 3oz trade for thermarest solite foam pad 8.6 oz
Pillow: Exped Air Pillow - 3oz toss
*Seat: Therm-A-Rest - 3oz toss
Stove: Brunton Raptor - 5oz Soto microregular stove with starter 2.5oz
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro - 11oz go for chemicals seems to be the consensus
Pot & Lid: GSI Pinnacle Soloist - 5 oz I have this pot and it weighs 7.7 oz I traded for the primus kettle 6.5 oz and only 15 bucks, hold more, and boils faster.
Mug: Snow Peak 600 ml. double wall - 4oz toss
Knife: Columbia River M16 10oz - 2.3oz there are alot of .75 oz knifes or just a razor blade may do
*Back Up Light: Gerber Tempo - 1oz toss if you need another get one on the way
Compass: Brunton 7DNL - 1oz toss its the appalachian highway
Towel: Lg. MSR - 4oz I cut mine in half and still have enough
*Nalgene: 1L. - 3.5oz toss or atleast trade for empty water bottle or something lighter

Approx. Gear Total Weight =16.75 lbs (new total 13.78)

Clothing
Shell Pants: Mountain Hardwear Typhoon - 10oz have you hiked in these and are you too hot if so id make a poncho skirt 1 oz
Gaiters: OR Flex-Tex - 4.2oz nice take that gaiter haiters
Boots: Asolo Power Matic 200GV - 3.12oz my guess is these are about 3 lbs
Approx. Total Outerwear Weight= 7.5 lbs new total 9.8 lbs

Approx. Total Gear Weight = 24.25 lbs 23.65 lbs

Missing Items you might like

-journal and pen
-lighter
-dry sacks (1 food, 1 clothes, 1 sleeping bag) Ultra-Sil is nice
-trash bags as liner (I know you got a cover but still)
-rope to hang food or clothes line
-ground cloth or some type of small tarp
-SOCKS!
-first aid stuff/tylenol/blister pads/mole skin
-safety pins
-ID, credit card, cash, wallet maybe
-biodegradable soap
-batteries, camera
-cellphone, charger
-trail guide book
-carabiner or 2
The little things add up and you are probably bringing some of the above so I would factor it in the pack weight calculation. Hope this helps!

Bat321
01-05-2012, 00:40
Your actual backpack is a heavy unit these days. Over 2 pounds and I would question it myself.

Ptenwal
01-05-2012, 07:41
Thanks for the insight everyone.

Papa D
01-05-2012, 07:57
I am also thru-hiking this year and have about the same 25 lbs that you have at this point. I've listed a few ounce savers you might want to trade for. I deleted gear that I dont have comments about and Im not suggesting you shouldnt use it. Also my list is in the 2012 class area if you want to comment.

Gear
-20 Degree liner - Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme - 14oz trade for sea to summit thermolite liner 2.8 oz
Pad: Long Therm-A-Rest Neo Air UL - 1lb 3oz trade for thermarest solite foam pad 8.6 oz
Pillow: Exped Air Pillow - 3oz toss
*Seat: Therm-A-Rest - 3oz toss
Stove: Brunton Raptor - 5oz Soto microregular stove with starter 2.5oz
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro - 11oz go for chemicals seems to be the consensus
Pot & Lid: GSI Pinnacle Soloist - 5 oz I have this pot and it weighs 7.7 oz I traded for the primus kettle 6.5 oz and only 15 bucks, hold more, and boils faster.
Mug: Snow Peak 600 ml. double wall - 4oz toss
Knife: Columbia River M16 10oz - 2.3oz there are alot of .75 oz knifes or just a razor blade may do
*Back Up Light: Gerber Tempo - 1oz toss if you need another get one on the way
Compass: Brunton 7DNL - 1oz toss its the appalachian highway
Towel: Lg. MSR - 4oz I cut mine in half and still have enough
*Nalgene: 1L. - 3.5oz toss or atleast trade for empty water bottle or something lighter

Approx. Gear Total Weight =16.75 lbs (new total 13.78)

Clothing
Shell Pants: Mountain Hardwear Typhoon - 10oz have you hiked in these and are you too hot if so id make a poncho skirt 1 oz
Gaiters: OR Flex-Tex - 4.2oz nice take that gaiter haiters
Boots: Asolo Power Matic 200GV - 3.12oz my guess is these are about 3 lbs
Approx. Total Outerwear Weight= 7.5 lbs new total 9.8 lbs

Approx. Total Gear Weight = 24.25 lbs 23.65 lbs

Missing Items you might like

-journal and pen
-lighter
-dry sacks (1 food, 1 clothes, 1 sleeping bag) Ultra-Sil is nice
-trash bags as liner (I know you got a cover but still)
-rope to hang food or clothes line
-ground cloth or some type of small tarp
-SOCKS!
-first aid stuff/tylenol/blister pads/mole skin
-safety pins
-ID, credit card, cash, wallet maybe
-biodegradable soap
-batteries, camera
-cellphone, charger
-trail guide book
-carabiner or 2
The little things add up and you are probably bringing some of the above so I would factor it in the pack weight calculation. Hope this helps!

This is an excellent post -- I'd actually keep the one nalgene for a couple of months - if you get really cold one night, you can use it for a hot water bottle -- I'd still ditch the gaiters (I only approve in snow) -- I think that the best thing that Tomp pointed out is that the obvious missing stuff is about 3 pounds of "stuff". You're on the right track though -- better than a lot.

Someone else pointed out that your backpack itself is heavy but I love Osprey Packs and think it's a good one. You could however consider cutting off extra straps and things (like ice axe loops) and maybe even getting rid of the "brain" (top part).

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 09:33
You will also trim weight pretty quickly each day you are out. If you carry something you haven't used in 5 days, toss it.Obviously your first aid kit, no but some of the more questionable stuff. Good rule of thumb

skerry
01-05-2012, 10:32
As we all know there is no 'right' or 'wrong' list of gear. It is a matter of preference and how much you are willing to carry. I do know some of the things - particularly clothing - I started out with got sent home quickly. Rain pants are really not necessary. I think you will find that you will get wet either way - either from the rain or from sweating inside the rain gear. I used my rain jacket primarily as a wind jacket finding it was better to get wet and then have something dry to put on when I stopped than to have a wet rain jacket. Depending on when you actually start I'm thinking the insulation pants may be unnecessary as well. I kept my down jacket the entire hike an; if nothing else it's good as a pillow inside a stuff sack which I would suggest instead of a pillow. Therm-a-Rest makes a sack that is reversible which I used for my extra clothes and as a pillow - worked great.

Couple of other suggestions: one hat, like a baseball cap, is good; add a couple of bandanas to use on your head, as a towel and for cleaning up - they are almost weightless; ditch the towel. I'm hoping you aren't planning on 2 sleeping bags - one bag and the liner should be fine. Definitely ditch the seat and the nalgene - use an empty power drink bottle. It's a personal choice, but I did not filter nor purify water and had no problems.

I know some of the items are just ounces but any bit of weight you can reduce will make a huge difference. You are up to 24+ pounds without any food or water. Water is heavy which is why an empty bottle is good - just drink when you get to streams/springs and carry very little with you. Food, too, can get heavy when you are looking at 2-3 pounds per day it adds up quickly. You will very soon appreciate every ounce you save.

I didn't see where you have extra socks listed - you want at least 2 spare pair. Also a basic first-add kit with bandaids, antiseptic wipes, pain reliever and something for upset stomach. Also personal hygiene - toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss which can also be used to sew up rips so bring a needle with a big eye (I didn't do this but lots of folks do). Lots of folks also brought duct tape - many tape it around their trekking poles or water bottle - I didn't' do this either.

The most important thing is personal preference and hiking your own hike. These are just my opinions and everyone has a different one. Again, there are no right or wrong gear choices and successful hikes have been made with really cheap, what some might call 'dangerous' gear, while many unsuccessful attempts have been made by people who got expert advice and bought the best equipment they could.

The most important decision you will make is to have the right frame of mind. If you believe you will be successful and complete your thru-hike...you will!

Good Luck and Many Blessings!

Hike on!
Scribbles

jakedatc
01-05-2012, 10:42
Gear
Pack: Md. Osprey Aether 70 - 4lb 9oz If you like Osprey Exos 46 or 58 even is half the weight
Pack Cover: Md. Osprey - 4oz i've never heard of a good pack cover story, use a trash compactor bag inside instead.
Tent: Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1- 2lb 12oz Make a tyvek ground cloth instead of the factory one.
Bag:
-20 Degree Long North Face Cats Meow - 3lb
-45 Degree Long Mountain Hardware Lamina - 1lb 14oz
-20 Degree liner - Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme - 14oz Sleep in your warm clothes, socks, long sleeve, hat. 20 deg will go a long ways.
Pad: Long Therm-A-Rest Neo Air UL - 1lb 3oz
Pillow: Exped Air Pillow - 3oz
*Seat: Therm-A-Rest - 3oz sit on your ground cloth folded up instead
Stove: Brunton Raptor - 5oz
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro - 11oz
Pot & Lid: GSI Pinnacle Soloist - 5 oz
Mug: Snow Peak 600 ml. double wall - 4oz Campbells soup "bowl" or "cup" (microwaveable travel soups) i cut the metal ring off mine
Spork: Snow Peak - .6oz
Knife: Columbia River M16 10oz - 2.3oz
Headlamp: Petzel Tikka XP 2 - 3oz
Trekking Poles: Black Diamond FL Z-Pole - 15.7oz
*Back Up Light: Gerber Tempo - 1oz
Compass: Brunton 7DNL - 1oz skip
Towel: Lg. MSR - 4oz cut in half
*Nalgene: 1L. - 3.5oz Use a gatorade or Smartwater bottle. 1L nalgene weights more than 3.5oz

Approx. Gear Total Weight =16.75 lbs

Clothing
Shell Jacket: Arc'teryx Theata AR - 17.5oz
Shell Pants: Mountain Hardwear Typhoon - 10oz
Insulation Jacket:Mountain Hardwear Compressor - 17oz
Insulation Pants: Marmot Power Stretch - 7oz
Shell Gloves: Mountain Hardwear Epic Glove - ?oz
Liner Gloves: Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch - ?oz
Gaiters: OR Flex-Tex - 4.2oz
Boots: Asolo Power Matic 200GV - 3.12oz get your pack to a reasonable weight and skip the boots and get trail shoes. having lighter feet is a lot nicer and dry faster
Hat: RVCA Insulated + Brim
Rain Hat: Marmot Precip Baseball Cap

Break your weights down better. Carried then worn/held. putting things you won't have in your pack adds weight you're not really carrying and makes it confusing.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/24_hour_gear_lists_2011.html are good templates.

Ptenwal
01-05-2012, 21:35
Everyone,

Helpful responses and much appreciated advice. Again, I didn't break this list down as greatly as some might have hoped to see. I should have only listed the "gear," and never even mentioned the clothing.

Obviously not so obvious, but I will only be carrying one bag at a time. I have been debating carrying the 45 degree & the liner for my start. This would be in comparison to carrying the 20 degree bag and then switching to the warmer bag later in the hike.

As for the my Osprey pack. I've had this thing for years and must say its a beast in the good sense...I got into cutting it down to only the necessary webbing and padding a few years back, so the weight has likely dropped from what the factory listed.

So, I've decided to ditch / alter / switch many of the items listed based on your responses. However, I quite an art teaching job to do this, so I'm sorta working along the lines of what I have for "gear in stock" (my closet) and a budget. The gear is only to support the cause, it isn't going to get me down the trail, my feets are (and there free).

Thanks, again for everyone's advice. I'm going to give this journey my best. Hope I can see it through to the end, wherever that may be.

PS...

I have to laugh sometimes, as there are some suggestions that I find hilarious! "I think I'll manage the extra TP weight, pine cones are F*ing sharp!"

jakedatc
01-05-2012, 23:41
I'd go with the 20deg. bag then. you can use it more like a blanket when it gets warmer and you'll probably want it zipped up again in NH+ not adding much weight and it's cheaper than dealing with a switch.

mug, bottle, tyvek shouldn't cost you more than 5 bucks if you can find some spare tyvek at a job site.

good thing is your boots will probably wear out anyway so when you burn through those you can get lighter shoes then :)

get bored one day and make a full list then read these short articles (i'm not saying to do everything in them... think about the philosophy and do what you can and think about stuff. )
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/testimony_everything_weighs_something.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/testimony_every_ounce_counts.html

Chaco Taco
01-06-2012, 10:22
When are you starting? Id go with the 20 degree bag because it gets cold on some of the higher mountains and esp in GSMNP.

Ptenwal
02-23-2012, 19:49
Looking forward to March 10th...

I purchased a new 30d. Montbell Hugger UL, and dropped / altered many items from my original list. The revised / new overall pack weight including everything gear and clothing related to move me down the trial weighs in a at 26lbs 3 oz. The only thing not included in the weight is water, food, and a few of the small personal hygiene items. I think after a few more tweaks I'll be sitting right around 25 lbs.

sterling98
02-24-2012, 22:33
Just so you know, I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter. The box says 11 oz but this is for the filter only! This does not include the tubes and thingy you plop in the water and thing you put on top of your water bottle. So, unless you feel like submerging your filter and pumping water right back into the stream, the total weight will be 16 ounces. Yeah, it's a rip off.

Firefighter503
02-26-2012, 23:25
My Hiker Pro weighs 13.8 oz w/ filter/pump/tubes/ziplock bag. I don't use the water bottle topper thingy. I don't use it anymore though. Agua Mira FTW.