PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone does Double Duty

Sierra Echo
01-04-2012, 23:20
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/01/03/iphone-flashlight-saves-lost-hiker

My Droid has one of these flashlight apps. Personally I prefer blinding my coworkers and family members with it.

Tinker
01-04-2012, 23:36
It's all well and good until the batteries die - then you lose two tools which are useful in the backcountry. In the city it makes all the sense in the world. It could temporarily blind an attacker and allow you to get away without use of excessive force.
One rule (and possible exception to the multi-use mantra of ultralighters) should be "Don't put all your eggs into one basket" (especially in electronic gadgets).
I always carry a headlamp with spare batteries and a keychain Photon should the headlamp bite the dust or get lost.

mrclean417
01-05-2012, 09:14
Nice to have extras but yea, all your eggs in one basket. One of my flashlight apps can be set to flash SOS or Strobe or a bunch of other cooler screen things. It was free and worth every penny.

Drains the batteries and takes too long to pull up if you were thinking of blinding an attacker. Better to just pull it out and wing the darn phone at them, yell really loud and start running the other way. Hit em in the eye and maybe you'll blind em that way.

Those phones do do a lot of dodo fairly well though. Not really a good enough camera. Not really a good enough video recorder. Not really a good enough sound recorder. Pretty accurate GPS though. Always seems to remind me of meetings and when to wake up about 15 minutes late but that might just be a personal problem of mine. I get there when I get there, which is usually early because my mom and dad drilled it into me.

scissor
01-05-2012, 11:01
One rule (and possible exception to the multi-use mantra of ultralighters) should be "Don't put all your eggs into one basket" (especially in electronic gadgets).

Just a matter of time before that rule is a thing of the past.