PDA

View Full Version : 2012 AWOL guide - changes?

rowan
01-05-2012, 00:52
I have been planning my upcoming 2012 thru-hike according to AWOL's 2011 guide. I was able to get a cheap copy added onto an amazon order to get the free super shipping. I was excited about the deal, but after digging into the guide it donned on me - there was a large event in 2011 that may change some things; HURRICANE IRENE. I am guessing this won't affect any of the services listed, but its worth a post I suppose. Any particular details I should be aware of as I am planning according to the 2011 guide? thanks folks.

Northern Lights
01-05-2012, 01:02
Go to his site and you can get the updates

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 06:53
I have been planning my upcoming 2012 thru-hike according to AWOL's 2011 guide. I was able to get a cheap copy added onto an amazon order to get the free super shipping. I was excited about the deal, but after digging into the guide it donned on me - there was a large event in 2011 that may change some things; HURRICANE IRENE. I am guessing this won't affect any of the services listed, but its worth a post I suppose. Any particular details I should be aware of as I am planning according to the 2011 guide? thanks folks.

The GMC has been working relentlessly to make repairs before the snows fall. They have done an amazing job. I doubt there will be many changes. Maybe quite a few reroutes around washouts. There is a pretty small window around Bennington and east that got the brunt of it. The higher elevations weren't so much affected. We were in southern Vermont in Oct and the trail conditions were actually really good.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 06:55
Go to his site and you can get the updates
I agree, thats the thing I like about his book and why I have every edition. The ALDHA book is great as well.

Jeff
01-05-2012, 10:12
What Chaco said about Vermont is accurate. There are also some footbridges out between Rutland and Woodstock north of Maine Jct. Not sure how the repairs are going with the damage to the boardwalk near Thundering Falls in that same area.

Awol2003
01-05-2012, 10:21
Hurricane reroutes may still be in place next summer, but no changes have been made to the "official" mileage data on account of them. Total milage has increased by 3.2 miles to 2184.2, but that is due to changes elsewhere.

The 2012 edition should ship around January 20, and this is what's new:
-There are new town & area maps: Atlanta area, the region near the south end of the trail (helps show how to get to Springer parking), Great Barrington, Unionville, Falls Village, SNP Loft Mtn Campground, SNP Swift Run Gap and Killington. There are now over 60 such maps.
- There are all new icons, redesigned to provide a more consistent look and to be more readily identifiable. Icons have been added for lookout towers, and flora notes, and to differentiate unreliable water sources.
- Elevation profiles are slightly larger, allowing better alignment with landmarks.
- Thorough town research has lead to many new listings and updates to dozens of other services.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 10:27
Hurricane reroutes may still be in place next summer, but no changes have been made to the "official" mileage data on account of them. Total milage has increased by 3.2 miles to 2184.2, but that is due to changes elsewhere.

The 2012 edition should ship around January 20, and this is what's new:
-There are new town & area maps: Atlanta area, the region near the south end of the trail (helps show how to get to Springer parking), Great Barrington, Unionville, Falls Village, SNP Loft Mtn Campground, SNP Swift Run Gap and Killington. There are now over 60 such maps.
- There are all new icons, redesigned to provide a more consistent look and to be more readily identifiable. Icons have been added for lookout towers, and flora notes, and to differentiate unreliable water sources.
- Elevation profiles are slightly larger, allowing better alignment with landmarks.
- Thorough town research has lead to many new listings and updates to dozens of other services.

Congrats on the maps

About_Time
01-05-2012, 10:31
I went through VT after the Hurricane (and after it was officially reopened). The problem areas were simply a matter of following blazes (or reroutes). The version of the book would not make a difference.

My recommendation though would be to not cut corners in this area of your budget. I used the loose-leaf edition and my support person at home had a normal copy. I couldn't always get cell coverage, but could do text messages most nights. I'd send a message (i.e. at 897.1, all OK) so she'd know I was OK. She'd make an entry in the book, so if anything happened it would be easier to locate me. She really enjoyed being able to follow my progress so closely. If foul weather was expected, she could use that mileage to figure out the closest weather forecast to text to me. I didn't finish till December, so I also had her call and see if some of the places were actually open for hikers that late. If you (or another hiker) will have a person helping you with support/logistics, a second copy is worth the money.

rowan
01-05-2012, 16:41
I went through VT after the Hurricane (and after it was officially reopened). The problem areas were simply a matter of following blazes (or reroutes). The version of the book would not make a difference.

My recommendation though would be to not cut corners in this area of your budget. I used the loose-leaf edition and my support person at home had a normal copy. I couldn't always get cell coverage, but could do text messages most nights. I'd send a message (i.e. at 897.1, all OK) so she'd know I was OK. She'd make an entry in the book, so if anything happened it would be easier to locate me. She really enjoyed being able to follow my progress so closely. If foul weather was expected, she could use that mileage to figure out the closest weather forecast to text to me. I didn't finish till December, so I also had her call and see if some of the places were actually open for hikers that late. If you (or another hiker) will have a person helping you with support/logistics, a second copy is worth the money.

agreed. thanks for the replies folks.

stonedflea
01-08-2012, 00:49

about time! it's LOL! :) glad to see you finished! hope the rest of your hike was awesome. :)

Rozz
01-20-2012, 23:11
Looks like The AT Guide 2012 started to ship yesterday, Jan 19. Looking forward to devouring my copy.

Rain Man
01-21-2012, 10:18
... I was able to get a cheap copy added onto an amazon order to get the free super shipping. I was excited about the deal, but after digging into the guide it donned on me - there was a large event in 2011 that may change some things; HURRICANE IRENE. ...

The old adage is "you get what you pay for." In any event, Awol's guide is a GREAT book, assiduously kept current for good and worthwhile reasons!

Rain:sunMan

trippclark
01-23-2012, 12:47
Looks like The AT Guide 2012 started to ship yesterday, Jan 19. Looking forward to devouring my copy.

I received my copy in the mail on Saturday. Looks GREAT!

double d
01-23-2012, 13:28
AWOL has a great trail book, very informative and detailed.