PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich Dome or Tecumseh this Sunday

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 09:29
Trying to think of a good hike for Sunday. Going to start early morning. Getting new microspikes and want to try new winter hiking boots. I hear Snadwich Dome may have ice to contend with. This would be my first winter hike in NH. Im pretty good on the gear for a non major event type of hike. I can deal with ice and some snow. I would probably not carry snowshoes just from some of the other stuff I am reading about. Anything else to consider when hiking The Sandwiches in winter.

DLANOIE
01-05-2012, 12:14
If you're going to be in that area have you done the Welch -Dickey Loop trail? This is a 4 mile loop with excellent views for minimal effort. I have some pics when I hiked it last winter in my images gallery. I love the Sandwhich Range and the Waterville Valley area. My all time favorite mountain is Osceola. Sandwhich Mnt. was a nice hike. I haven't hiked it since April 20, 2002 and would love to get back there. It may only be 3,980' but its a long climb. I would bring snowshoes in the car and decide when you get there to pack them or not. I have no idea what the snow conditions are down there. And the 0.2 miles to Jennings peak is well worth the effort. Have a good hike, maybe you will have the whole mountain to yourself!

DLANOIE
01-05-2012, 12:16
I can't edit my post because I'm not a donating member, so please disregard the photo. Its irrelavent to the topic. My boo-boo.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2012, 13:10
Probably not enough snow to use snowshoes. I'm north and west of there and we have only a couple of inches on the ground. Haven't had to plow the driveway once yet this year. It's snowing here right now but we aren't expecting anything significant accumulation wise - maybe a couple of more inches over today and tomorrow.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 15:07
Nah reports from the area are not calling for snowshoes, but microspikes a must. Just bought my first pair of spikes and shopped a little for snowshoes. If you are in the market and have EMS, I think they are having some 30% snowshoe and microspike sale. The spikes were 20%. I am just going to drive up there with whatever Ive got. Just got some new insulated boots as well that I want to take for a spin. Im tired of being on the inter webs, I want to go play in the woods .

Tinker
01-05-2012, 19:30
I've hiked them both, but only part of Sandwich Dome in the winter. I tent camped in over a foot of snow off the trail about half way up. When I got back to my car I had a ticket and had to mail in my parking fee. This was back in the mid 1990s.
Tecumseh is an easy climb. I forgot which trail I took, but it started at the base of the ski slope and parallelled the slope much of the time and followed it a bit here and there. The summit was in krummholz, if I remember correctly. The views are probably better from Sandwich, but the climb is a bit harder.

peakbagger
01-06-2012, 09:09
Almost all the trails are icy right now. Given the forecast (potential windy but relatively warm), a trail with some tree cover or shleter from west wind would be a good choice. I did Major and Straightback down in Alton Monday, we barbooted but the trails were borderline for microspikes. A fun one is Jackson, the last stretch before the summit is alwasy a good work out for traction. If the weather is reasonable you can extend the trip and go over to Webster and then back downt he webster Jackosn trail to where you started.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2012, 10:19
Almost all the trails are icy right now. Given the forecast (potential windy but relatively warm), a trail with some tree cover or shleter from west wind would be a good choice. I did Major and Straightback down in Alton Monday, we barbooted but the trails were borderline for microspikes. A fun one is Jackson, the last stretch before the summit is alwasy a good work out for traction. If the weather is reasonable you can extend the trip and go over to Webster and then back downt he webster Jackosn trail to where you started.

Theres an idea, I think I may stick to Sandwich though because Im looking at this as a test run for me and microspikes