PDA

View Full Version : Great socks

kayaker4ever
01-05-2012, 14:56
Has any one else discovered "Darn Tough" socks? I haven't worn a pair of socks as comfortable. And.....they are garaunteed for life, no questions asked. I don't remember how I found them but 'Darn' glad I did. :banana

gravityman
01-05-2012, 15:05
About a year old, mainly used for day to day wear, and mine already have holes in them. I am disappointed. I have to send them back (but it's a bit of a hassle).

leaftye
01-05-2012, 15:33
It's a popular sock, but it helps to have been in the hiking community for a while.

Zipper
01-05-2012, 15:55
I love mine. Got a free pair in NY (Thanks, Roger W.!) and wore them, plus a couple more pairs I picked up, on the rest of my flip flop thru-hike - another 1500 miles. I still wear the ones from my hike, two years later. I love them! A little heel wear right where the Achilles tendon is, but no holes. I pretty much don't wear any other socks anymore. So I would recommend them for a thru hike. My smart wool socks I started with got all stretched out, but it might have just been the particular version I chose.

hambone5126
01-05-2012, 16:13
we sell the ski version at the ski shop i work at, and i have a bunch of the ski and hike styles. they rock pretty hard and its all i use anymore (especially cause i get them cheap hehe). im about to order a whole bunch for my thru starting in march.

Blissful
01-05-2012, 16:15
I really like wigwam myself for durability (merino blend one). Never any holes.

Ktaadn
01-05-2012, 16:38
I bought my first pairs of Darn Tough socks last year and I love them. They seem to be stronger and hold their elasticity better than the smartwools that I own. I don't think I'll ever buy anything other than Darn Tough socks for hiking from now on.

Summit
01-05-2012, 17:03
Just got three pair of the Hike/Trek 1/4 ones yesterday . . . still in the packaging. They better be as good as you folks say or our lawyers will be talking! :D

Nutbrown
01-05-2012, 17:06
I'll never go back to anything else. My smartwools are so streched out I hardly even wear them with my play kicks. ...and I always hung them to dry.

Tinker
01-05-2012, 17:12
I have been using a pair for a couple of months now, and, though my hikes have, for the most part been few and far between lately due to some physical limitations, I can feel the difference in durability between the lightweight Smartwool socks I have been wearing and my new Darn Tough socks. I like the DT socks better. Made in USA is still worth a couple of dollars to me if the product is comparable or superior in quality.

tiptoe
01-05-2012, 17:56
I love my Darn Tough hiking socks. They fit me perfectly (no blisters), they're comfortable in summer and fine in cooler weather, and they look good. Pricey, but worth it.

rocketsocks
01-05-2012, 18:26
I haven't used them yet but my favorites are the one with little rockets on them no-name.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-05-2012, 21:50
you can buy them at the Appalachian Trail Conference-great socl have used two pair for several years with minimal wear

HiKen2011
01-05-2012, 21:54
I really like wigwam myself for durability (merino blend one). Never any holes.

Me too................

Hoop
01-06-2012, 00:05
Mine aren't as plushy as SW but they're more durable (and they have an AT symbol at the open end).

malowitz
01-06-2012, 00:22
Darn Toughs micro cushion socks are all I wore on my 2010 thru and Darn Toughs are my every day sock now. I've worn out the heal in one pair, but I think it is disingenuous to cash them in as a lifetime warranty item. They have lived more than the expected life of a sock.

I've also found an occasional pair show up at Marshall's. There and TJ Maxx may be worth a look.

Tinker
01-06-2012, 13:23
Duplicate post.

Tinker
01-06-2012, 13:25
Another sock manufacturer who makes fantastic socks is DeFeet. I've bought and used several pair of their low cut medium weight socks for 2 plus years (everyday plus hiking long sections). Not a hint of wear on any of the three pair I have, and I don't pay attention to pairing them up every time I wash them, so some have more wear than others.

http://www.defeet.com/

I use the Woolie Bullie low tops.

Direct link to actual sock (newer model) http://www.defeet.com/733747/products/Woolie-Boolie-Charcoal-V--2-4-Cuff.html

Oak88
01-06-2012, 14:11
wife bought me a couple of pair for christmas but she ordered womens :eek:. I heard good things about them, now my wife has a couple good pairs of socks.

KMACK
01-06-2012, 20:13
Got a pair for Christmas but had to return them as they were too small. The store they came from had no XL sizes (as most dont seem to) so that was the end of my Darn Tough sock experience. I'll stick with my Costco merino wool socks for now.

Odd Man Out
01-06-2012, 22:46
DT socks were praised on this forum a few month ago, so they made it on my Christmas wish list. I guess I was on the nice list since they were under the tree. Very nice so far. Do run a bit smaller than other socks, so if you are at the size cut off, you might want to go bigger rather than smaller. Unfortunately the one store that carried them locally is going out of business. Alas.

MuddyWaters
01-06-2012, 23:12
My fav is deFeet Wool-e-ator . Its a merino cycling sock, pretty thin. Still feels comfy and slightly cushy after a week straight wear. Doesnt stretch out.

fireneck
01-07-2012, 02:14
I've worn out the heal in one pair, but I think it is disingenuous to cash them in as a lifetime warranty item. They have lived more than the expected life of a sock.

I've also found an occasional pair show up at Marshall's. There and TJ Maxx may be worth a look.

I agree with you there! All the pairs are from Maxx/Marshall's.

CornerCreek27
01-15-2012, 00:56
thanks for the info, these look like very workable socks for a thru

would yall recommend getting the Lightweight or Midweight padding for a thru? How do these work with liners??

Im look to get two pair, use them with liners and have them for an entire thru hike

Rayo
01-15-2012, 02:52
I got a pair of Darn Toughs the other week and love 'em thus far. If you have a TJMax or Marshall's by you, pop in an check their sock selection, I got a pair of Darn Toughs for 8 bucks! The XL fits me better than a Smart Wool XL and I presume they'll keep their shape better too.