View Full Version : 12 oz. rain system. Anything missing

Stir Fry
01-05-2012, 18:04
Z Packs Cloud/ Cubin fiber Jacket .04oz
Home made, Rain skirt /Cubin fiber .02oz
Hat, Marmot, wide brim .02oz
Home Made, Rain cover for pack,/ Cubin fiber .01oz
Home Made pack Liner Cubin fiber .02oz

I think I have everythin covered. Everything is in a Cubin Fiber stuff sack. Does it look like I'm OK?

leaftye
01-05-2012, 18:12
A couple bread bags and a bit of duct tape could finish it off. You might only use them in camp, but it'd allow your feet to be warm even if you're wearing wet shoes.

Slo-go'en
01-05-2012, 18:59
Okay, I just reallized the weigths should be written as X.0 oz not .0X oz! That makes a bit of difference. It would be nice to have a complete rain suit which only weighed 0.12oz :)

Tinker
01-05-2012, 19:06
I'll have to check out that Zpacks Cuben fiber jacket.

Here's an application where Cuben might be a good SUL alternative. Since it's a bit stiffer than silnylon, it shouldn't drape as well, which means it will stick to sweaty skin less (in theory, at least).

Stir Fry - do you find that to be the case?

Stir Fry
01-05-2012, 19:13
The jacke has a hood and is very lose so it has not been a problem, and with the wrap I have had no issues with sweating so it has not gotten sticky like sil.

Tinker
01-05-2012, 19:18
The jacke has a hood and is very lose so it has not been a problem, and with the wrap I have had no issues with sweating so it has not gotten sticky like sil.

Nice, thanks.

STICK
01-05-2012, 20:42
OP,

Looks nice. If you want to add something to your hands, you may want to check out some of the Black Rock Gear cuben Fiber overmitts...very nice indeed... (they can be seen in the video below).

Tinker,

Just keep in mind that the ZPacks CF jacket is a one size fits all. I recently tried one on and was not happy with the fit. And just for the record, I am 5'10" and 200 pounds. It fit me fine throughout the torso as long as I was only wearing a thin t under it but it tapered down considerably in my opinion around the forearm. Here is a video in which I talk about it for a bit and then put it on (around 7:38 in the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw221p6otK8

But if you are really interested in it you can check out the newer waterproof/breathable version. I believe that it is a hair heavier, but it may be a better option.

Otherwise, I think the Groundsheet Poncho may be a nice option, and dual use.