PDA

View Full Version : Bag? Blanket? Suit?

RagingHampster
12-13-2002, 18:26
I currently use a mummy 600fill down sleeping bag rated for 20*. I was thinking of purchasing a Big Agnes sleeping bag, which saves weight by eliminating all insulation on the bottom of the bag (which when crushed by the weight of your body is useless anyways), and allowing you to spend the ounces on real ground insulation, like more thickness in your sleeping pad. Other companies taking this a step further just sell down blankets, with cinch-cords on the bottom to cup your feet. They weigh almost half the weight of comparable mummy bags, (usally a pound less) which you can use to add an extra inch of thickness to your thermarest, or just save weight when hiking in warm weather. I'm thinkning of an 800fill down blanket with 4 inches of loft. This would effectively be a 0* insulation barrier for just under 2 pounds. Along with a nice 2" thick full length 2.25 pound thermarest (rated for 0* as well), you would have a 4-season sleeping system with much more versatility and comfort than a mummy bag and 3/4" Thermarest (which I use now). Your thoughts on this...

Dirtyoldman
12-14-2002, 05:18
It aint that easy RH... your sleeping arrangements are a system and each choice affects how well the system works. I like the big agnes bags but since I hammock I ended up deciding on a blanket instead since they are much easier to use. If You are useing a tent or other ground arrangement you might consider that raku bag. It has arm and leg holes so you can wear it around camp. I tried the blanket idea out before I ordered with a wool one i have, to see how well it worked with my system and was very pleased by the results.

the one I ordered is similar to your specs., extra large size with extra loft and overfill plus a larger foot box in 800 fill down. Im either gonna hate it or love it, I dont see much room for compromise in an expensive custom piece of equipment.

ps . nunatak has an 8 week backlog. mine is due in just before christmas.;)

RagingHampster
12-14-2002, 09:56
I'm looking into it. I may try my hand at making one, or hiring someone to do it. Sewing a baffled blanket isn't exactly a technological roadblock for someone with decent sewing skills. A 4' x 6.5' x 4" thick blanket would require ~19.5oz of 800fill Down. Material (Pertex most likely) can't weigh that much, and there are no zippers or anything. I'm figuring around 1.5lbs +/- a couple ounces for the finished product with a stuff sack. Along with a 2" thick full length thermarest, this would give me a 4-season extremely comfortable sleep system that weighs around 3.75 pounds. For ultra-lite weight 3-season use, a z-rest could swap in for the therm-a-glutton, and you would have a sleep system that weighs a hair over 2 pounds. The sleeping bag stuff sack could be packed with the next days socks etc.. for a pillow, and warm feet the next morning. What do you think?

Hammock Hanger
12-14-2002, 10:29
I use a stuffed stuff sack for a pillow but SOCKS! Mine are only clean for about a day out of town, don't think they will go in the pillow. :p Hammock Hanger

RagingHampster
12-14-2002, 16:34
I'm a weekend hiker because I work 6-days a week. I usally only do 2 full days and one night. 3 or 4 days at the most if i take some time off. So usually my extra pair of socks are clean for the one night im out. Obviously I wouldnt put them in if they had been worn all day *LOL*.

RagingHampster
01-02-2003, 14:27
I've decided to make a down blanket! Within the next couple weeks I will be aquiring the stuff. I'll pretty much be following the instructions on thru-hiker.com, minus the foot bag. I'm going to have a drawstring in a sleeve on the end if I need to cinch a foot bag. I can't wait! I'm gonna have swisscheese fingers from sewing!

SkyKing
01-04-2003, 16:56
Come on HH....I've found a weeks worth of smelly socks do WONDERS keeping the sinuses open! ARK ARK ARK

Also keeps the bed-bugs away!

Can't say it does much for the s@x life tho!:D

SkyKing
01-04-2003, 17:07
Dirtyoldman,
What is the Raku bag you mention? I've seen bags with arm holes but don't recall the leg holes.

Dirtyoldman
01-05-2003, 05:32
http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Raku.htm

order well in advance as they are very busy!

MedicineMan
01-05-2003, 07:25
see if your sleeping bag has continuous baffles,,,,I use WM bags and the WM bags I have all have continuous baffles so give the bag a serious shake in one direction and you have a quilt with a toe box already....worth a try before giving Nunatek 4 bills....