PDA

View Full Version : How I plan to use mail drops

LDog
01-05-2012, 18:47
Just posted my plan for mail drops during my upcoming thru attempt. Still a work in progress, would love to read your comments and suggestions.

www.laughingdog.com

Papa D
01-05-2012, 20:16
I feel your hard work. In the spring of 1985, my Mom's dining room was filled with about 25 boxes that look like the pics on your website. Then, gas stations sold gas and postage for boxes was cheap. For my next thru-hike, my wife might mail me something (like new eyeglasses or something special) but it is truly easier and cheaper to just hike or hitch to a grocery store or a gas station (short term re-supply), re-fill your zip locks (or buy some more), load up your grocery bag and keep going. You won't be beholden to post office schedules or whatever you arrange with your mail dropper. Use the post office for letters, post-cards and maybe essentials, shop for everything else -- naturally, hike your own hike, but shipping yourself a pasta-sides or mac n cheese when you can buy it right where you are is a little silly, right?

About_Time
01-05-2012, 20:35
I see that you are planning on switching back to winter clothes in Hanover. You might need another layer on occasion, but you're likely to end up carrying extra weight up/down the harder climbs, rather than wearing it. At least pack the clothes seperately, so you can bounce them forward if you change your mind. (Other opinions on when/if to switch clothes?)

Make sure that whatever you put in the boxes, you've eaten in the past and enjoy. I thought I'd learn to like Cliff bars when I got hungry enough. It unfortunately never happened and I was stuck with six months worth of them.

Don H
01-05-2012, 20:49
Only maybe two or three times did I carry more than 5 days worth of food. Average days between resupply was probably 4 days.
Most of the places you have listed as food drops have easy access to stores.
My tastes changed throughout the trip, sometimes I saw other people eating something good and would buy it at the next town.
Didn't use a bounce box.
I did do 3 drops for meds. and missed one because I was too early. (Do I wait for who knows how many days for it or go on without it?)
Food drops and bounce boxes are a PIA in my opinion (unless you have special dietary needs).
Seems like you're already set on doing drops, it'll work but just a PIA in my opinion, YMMV.
Good luck and have a great time!

LDog
01-05-2012, 22:42
naturally, hike your own hike, but shipping yourself a pasta-sides or mac n cheese when you can buy it right where you are is a little silly, right?

Right, and I have no intention of doing that beyond using up some of the stuff I already have. My intention is to mail stuff I want that I'm unlikely to find in grocery stores or gas stations. I'll be doing the bulk of my shopping along the way.

LDog
01-05-2012, 22:49
I see that you are planning on switching back to winter clothes in Hanover. You might need another layer on occasion, but you're likely to end up carrying extra weight up/down the harder climbs, rather than wearing it. At least pack the clothes seperately, so you can bounce them forward if you change your mind. (Other opinions on when/if to switch clothes?)

That might be true, but we're really talking about a light fleece, a down sweater, light gloves, a hat and rain pants.

Make sure that whatever you put in the boxes, you've eaten in the past and enjoy. I thought I'd learn to like Cliff bars when I got hungry enough. It unfortunately never happened and I was stuck with six months worth of them.

I hear ya. I love Clif Bars. If they weren't free, I might have bought Pro Bars instead for the better calories/oz. But it's hard to argue with free! The other stuff is really to refill the larder with stuff I use all the time to improve flavor and nutrition.

LDog
01-05-2012, 23:01
Only maybe two or three times did I carry more than 5 days worth of food. Average days between resupply was probably 4 days.

That's a matter of choice, and it would be my choice to stay out longer. For instance, I'd rather hike thru the GSMNP than to visit Gatlinburg. That the southern gateway to that area has few food resupply options sets up an interesting challenge for one who likes to eat good nutritious food.

Most of the places you have listed as food drops have easy access to stores.
My tastes changed throughout the trip, sometimes I saw other people eating something good and would buy it at the next town.
Didn't use a bounce box.

I'm not resupplying with full meals - Except in a few places where conventional wisdom says food choices are limited. I'm really sending myself stuff like dehydrated beans and veggies, maps, and sections of the AT Guide. The bulk of my food will come from stores along the way.

I did do 3 drops for meds. and missed one because I was too early. (Do I wait for who knows how many days for it or go on without it?)
Food drops and bounce boxes are a PIA in my opinion (unless you have special dietary needs).
Seems like you're already set on doing drops, it'll work but just a PIA in my opinion, YMMV.

I have a good person who will mail packages when I call for them - which will be at least a week before I need them. But I know timing can be a challenge.

Good luck and have a great time!

Thanks, I sure plan to!

Papa D
01-05-2012, 23:02
Right, and I have no intention of doing that beyond using up some of the stuff I already have. My intention is to mail stuff I want that I'm unlikely to find in grocery stores or gas stations.

ok - sounds like you have it dialed in -- but since you posted and asked, I personally couldn't plan a thru hike schedule and hit it day by day - oh, sure, I can nail down 3 days but by the 4th or 5th day, I might be a whole day ahead of schedule and a month in, who knows? - you get fitter, you go faster, you zero and bad weather hits, you slow down, my point is that you'll have more fun and be more free in your grand adventure if you just let the hike happen and not try to nail down your mail drops and other itinerary so hard and fast.
Your website and planning is incredible though - I really like it -- best of luck for a great hike - I know you'll do well!!

Mountain Mike
01-05-2012, 23:09
To me supplemental food drops are great. Especiall now with gout I can't go 4 days on slim jims. Even boxed mac & cheese is getting hard to find in convience stores. All nuke it stuff. Ramens...nice apetizer while cooking diner but mostly now nuke seletion again in the big styrafoam containers. I saw you had a good selection of dehyrdrated food. Great for making meals on your own or supplimenting store bought stuff. I doubt I would ever do another mail drop in large town with bigger grocery store. But for smaller ones it's nice to know what you will get. Guess I am growing particular in my old age.

Enjoy your hike

LDog
01-05-2012, 23:14
ok - sounds like you have it dialed in -- but since you posted and asked, I personally couldn't plan a thru hike schedule and hit it day by day - oh, sure, I can nail down 3 days but by the 4th or 5th day, I might be a whole day ahead of schedule and a month in, who knows? - you get fitter, you go faster, you zero and bad weather hits, you slow down, my point is that you'll have more fun and be more free in your grand adventure if you just let the hike happen and not try to nail down your mail drops and other itinerary so hard and fast.

This is really my biggest fear. Well, after lyme ... I want to keep my itinerary as free and easy as possible. The whole purpose of coming up with the spreadsheet was just a planning tool, not a plan. I intend to call for boxes a little over a week out so that they arrive several days before I could. I also hope to use hostels and outfitters where possible to avoid post office hours.

Your website and planning is incredible though - I really like it -- best of luck for a great hike - I know you'll do well!!

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm really looking forward to it!

Mountain Mike
01-05-2012, 23:14
PS: Most important thing with mail drops is knowledgeable,reliable person at home shipping them! Someone that can adjust mail to your pace & add or substract stuff when needed.

Papa D
01-05-2012, 23:16
To me supplemental food drops are great. Especiall now with gout I can't go 4 days on slim jims. Even boxed mac & cheese is getting hard to find in convience stores. All nuke it stuff. Ramens...nice apetizer while cooking diner but mostly now nuke seletion again in the big styrafoam containers. I saw you had a good selection of dehyrdrated food. Great for making meals on your own or supplimenting store bought stuff. I doubt I would ever do another mail drop in large town with bigger grocery store. But for smaller ones it's nice to know what you will get. Guess I am growing particular in my old age.

Enjoy your hike

Dude, I was just in Irwin, TN last week - bought a mac n cheese box, 2 Ramen Noodles, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup - heavy but good with powdered milk that night - jar of peanut butter, 3 snickers, and 1 big coffee re-fill - whatru talking about? - it was an Exxon - I protested the Valdez disaster but for food, gas stations rule.

LDog
01-05-2012, 23:20

Pretty sure I share your finickiness as I get on in years ...

Thanks for your comments.

Papa D
01-05-2012, 23:21
Pretty sure I share your finickiness as I get on in years ...

Thanks for your comments.

"on in years" - maybe I'm getting a little sensitive about turning 45 but we're still kids, right?

Mountain Mike
01-05-2012, 23:26
Sounds like good idea for new topic. What available where. Been a long time since I have seen a box of mac & cheese in a gas station. Even ramens are scarce compared to "noodles in a bowl" Cans still abound, but consider the weight, extention cord & microwave... OK last part sarcastic but see a need for a link of what you can get at smaller stops along the trail.

LDog
01-05-2012, 23:28
"on in years" - maybe I'm getting a little sensitive about turning 45 but we're still kids, right?

Absolutely! I'm like a kid in a candy store at this point!

Mountain Mike
01-05-2012, 23:29
Maybe when I grow up I'll get over this trail life/hiking phase I'm going thru. When I do please send donations to ATC or similar trail group of your choice.

Mountain Mike
01-05-2012, 23:34
When people tell me they love what I do but wish they were young enough to do it. Reminds me of a guy I hiked with on PCT. Saw him a few years later & talking about that years hikes said he was feeling beat after his summers adventure. Just took to much out of him at his age. Said nothing over 500 miles a season for him. Brice Hammock was 84 when he said that to me and had completed the Triple Crown twice since he retired!

HT1
01-06-2012, 06:38
40+ kids are the best, We can afford our own toys:cool:

Don H
01-06-2012, 08:43
"I have a good person who will mail packages when I call for them - which will be at least a week before I need them. But I know timing can be a challenge."

Don't overestimate the efficiency of the U.S. Postal Service. The one package I missed was sent by priority flat rate 8 days prior to my arrival.

Blissful
01-06-2012, 21:19
Comments:

"There are lots of folks right now dehydrating food like crazy to prepare all the meals they need along the way (and hope they don't get tired of eating the same meals for six months.)" - I never understand why people decide that if a hiker sends mail drops with dehydrated food, they will get tired of their drops. Where is the logic in that? If anything, I get tired of only having selections of overpriced Ramen, Lipton (Knorr), stuffing, mac and cheese and tuna at the small stores along the way...

I sure hope this spreadsheet is NOT your only resupply points on your entire hike!!

Fontana Dam - Hike Inn shuttles to Robbinsville
NOC - the grocery store there is very small, easy to do a drop at the outfitter there. Same with Neel Gap
Dalton's choices were not very good, easy to do a drop there
Monson's store tries hard to stay in stock, but if you think it's inadequate there, you will not like Dalton...

Oh, and Maine is ME not MN :)

Don H
01-07-2012, 21:33
I really enjoyed the dehydrated food people gave me along the trail. Seems they always had too much.

LDog
01-08-2012, 01:19
I sure hope this spreadsheet is NOT your only resupply points on your entire hike!!

No, I'll be resupplying in town every 4-5 days.

Oh, and Maine is ME not MN :)

Doh!

Nitrojoe
01-08-2012, 02:39
When I did my PCT thru hike in 08, I followed Andrew Skuras, the world class long distant hiker, food menu. I bought 100s of dollars of different type energy bars. One of my favorites prior to the hike was the Cliff Bars and several others which I liked. Well after the third week of my thru hike I couldnt eat the bars. They all began to taste the same. I finally got rid of my large supply in 2010 by giving them away to friends. Today I cannot eat them for every time I see one on the store shelves or someone offers me one I get that bad taste in my mouth. Iam now more experience in my food selection and will buy food off the trail or have something I really like sent to me from home.

Loneoak
01-08-2012, 03:14
Will be tagging along, only on my laptop :( signed up to follow along. Impressed with your blog, you've done a ton of research. Enjoy and stay safe.

Toy2boy
01-08-2012, 13:47
Here's a question for those who have "been there, done that". I have read where post drops will hold a thru-hiker's package, but for how long?

My tentative plan is to ship X% (maybe 60+) to arrive before me, along the trail as I go. I still want the freedom to purchase what I want, and know I may throw some stuff out, or donate it.

Thanks for your time,
~ Mark

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2012, 15:23
Here's a question for those who have "been there, done that". I have read where post drops will hold a thru-hiker's package, but for how long?

My tentative plan is to ship X% (maybe 60+) to arrive before me, along the trail as I go. I still want the freedom to purchase what I want, and know I may throw some stuff out, or donate it.

Thanks for your time,
~ MarkMost PO's that hikers use are very used to gettting and holding General Delivery hiker boxes. Most will hold hiker boxes for a month (usually a bit more, but don't push it). Technically, it's up to the Postmaster, they only are required to hold GD mail for 10 to 15 days depending on the technical nature of the office(it has to do with routes - don't ask why), and you (addressee are supposed to request that they hold it for you). Take a list of the PO phone numbers with you and call the Postmaster if you will be delayed, want a box forwarded, returned, etc. Also, when you get there, if you want a box forwarded or bounced, tell them that you have a package they are holding and you want it forwarded. Don't take possession of the box and then say you want it forwarded/bounced as that is considered delivery - at which point you could be asked to purchase new / additional postage. Normally, the trail PO's are very used to handling hiker mail and that won't happen, but given all the retirements and changes, there could be Postmasters and employees that just aren't used to hiker boxes. Do not use parcel post as it's not much cheaper and it can not be forwarded/returned for free.

Section8
01-10-2012, 11:57
Are any of the Post Offices along the AT scheduled to be closed this spring?
I like the pre packaged dried food (Mountain House, etc) - just add H20 - no stiinking pans to wash.

jacquelineanngrant
01-19-2012, 13:50
Post offices will hold your packages so you can send them all ahead. That way it doesn't matter if you get ahead of or behind your planned schedule.

Sly
01-19-2012, 14:05
-- naturally, hike your own hike, but shipping yourself a pasta-sides or mac n cheese when you can buy it right where you are is a little silly, right?

There's several ways to look at it...

Not if you can buy it for a buck in bulk at home or $2 on the trail. You also wouldn't have to take the time to shop on trail, be limited to what the store has for sale. (after a wave of thru-hikers, pickings are slim).

In the time leading up to a hike, you have lots of free time. No better way to spend it then logistics and strategy.

Sly
01-19-2012, 14:15
Didn't use a bounce box.

Let's face it, it's not like new and delicious food stuffs are invented week to week. It's just as easy to plan a varied menu beforehand at home as on the trail. I keep reading how people get sick of this or that, but I eat the same stuff 10 years later.

In lieu of food drops where you can add such items, bounce boxes are good for maps, small gear items you may not be using, or things like socks.

Sly
01-19-2012, 14:44
"I have a good person who will mail packages when I call for them - which will be at least a week before I need them. But I know timing can be a challenge."

Don't overestimate the efficiency of the U.S. Postal Service. The one package I missed was sent by priority flat rate 8 days prior to my arrival.

I'm sure there's not a person here that hasn't had one late package of letter in their lifetime but overall the USPS does an excellent job. If you happen to get to a town before the package arrives, just leave a forwarding card a month up the trail.

Don H
01-19-2012, 22:09
Chilly,

I said: "Only maybe two or three times did I carry more than 5 days worth of food. Average days between resupply was probably 4 days."

And you said: "That's a matter of choice, and it would be my choice to stay out longer"

And that's fine, it's your hike.

But then you said "No, I'll be resupplying in town every 4-5 days."

I think you should stay out longer ;)

Don H
01-19-2012, 22:14
Let's face it, it's not like new and delicious food stuffs are invented week to week. It's just as easy to plan a varied menu beforehand at home as on the trail. I keep reading how people get sick of this or that, but I eat the same stuff 10 years later.

In lieu of food drops where you can add such items, bounce boxes are good for maps, small gear items you may not be using, or things like socks.

I had not tried Nutella until I got into VT. Also Tortolini and Couscous were not on my early menu.

LDog
01-19-2012, 23:33
But then you said "No, I'll be resupplying in town every 4-5 days."

Busted

But you also said "Most of the places you have listed as food drops have easy access to stores." which suggested to me that either I was not clear, or that you didn't understand that I was not intending to use drop boxes to do my complete resupply, but rather to supplement what I find in those easily accessible stores with stuff I want that I don't expect to find in them.

Mountain Mike
01-20-2012, 00:08
I like mail drops for smaller towns. Resupply out of gas station convience stores suck. Cup of noodles now replaced by cans, Even a box of mac & cheese hard to find. When I did my AT thru I bought Mountain House in one large order. Saved 20-25% doing it that way. These days I lean more towars Knorr meals & suppliment with Harmony Hill or other dehydrated/FD foods. FD cheese & eggs are non exisent in most trail stops. So I buy them in bulk & ship them along with dehydrateded veggies. I dislike a resupply every 4 days, I prefer to spend my time in the woods. To me I am out there to hike. Not to run from town to town. I do carry way to much cooking gear. But when I rehrdrate veggies to make a pizza up after a few days on the trail people are drooling. Hon food.YOH. But I will not skimp & thus decent resupply.

Sly
01-20-2012, 05:40
Are any of the Post Offices along the AT scheduled to be closed this spring?
I like the pre packaged dried food (Mountain House, etc) - just add H20 - no stiinking pans to wash.

The ones listed and should be called first before mailing are Fontana Dam, Montebello, Glencliff and Caratunk.

Don H
01-20-2012, 16:54
Chilly, just looked at you blog. Those packing peanuts are light but they have little nutritional value ;)
Looks like you're ready to go. Good luck.
When you starting?
Some say GA can get cold in the early spring but being from MI it won't be a concern for you. I lived in Grand Rapids for a while.

LDog
01-20-2012, 18:39
Chilly, just looked at you blog. Those packing peanuts are light but they have little nutritional value

Yes, but they're filling!

When you starting?

I hit the approach trail on the Mar 19th. D-59 ...

Some say GA can get cold in the early spring but being from MI it won't be a concern for you. I lived in Grand Rapids for a while.

Practically Neighbors! Whilst walking the dog in 16 degree weather, I've been questioning my love of the winter these last few days. I'm a fairly cold sleeper, and am packing a 1/4" foam pad to put over my insulated Big Agnes Air Core, a silk liner, and a 1L nalgene to fill with hot water ... and hoping I don't need any of it!

Don H
01-20-2012, 23:35
I carried an Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad 1/4" for the first month to use on top of my NeoAir. Bought a silk liner in Hot Springs, wish I had started with it. Kept it to the end.
Watch those peanuts, they'll bind you up;)

kevperro
01-22-2012, 17:15
I'm with the use only minimal mail drops crowd. I never used any planned drops and never regreted that choice. If I planned another long hike on the AT I wouldn't plan any because there are simply too many easy resupply points along the trail. Food, fuel and gear needs can all be pretty much handled without too much trouble.